Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

do the first sets of the season tear you up?

tvano

last spring my shoulders really talked to me after the first sets of the season.

the rest of this old bod was generally sore but the shoulders were screaming.

while i was a hurt puppy i headed to the basement gym and found a set of exercises that really made me wince.

turned out that shoulder shrugs with a heavy bar really made me cry like a little girl.

so we are finally to the point of this post; i spent the last off season doing the normal free weight routines but really pounded the heavy bar shoulder shrugs, too.

after running through almost half a dozen trips to the lake this year (yes, the ice gave up the lake on 14 March Thumbup.gif ) the shoulders don't hurt any worse than the rest of the package.

this worked out really good for me, i'm sure it could for you, too. if you have one or two hot spots while you are cranking up the new season; sort out which exercises will touch those hot spots and add a little special effort there in the off season.

now, if i can just remember all the way into this fall/winter what it was i planned to concentrate on i'll be lucky.

oh, if i can remember where i left my car keys, that would help, too.

First runs of the season are always a little painful. I ride the bike and go to the gym pretty consistently but there is nothing like being on the water to wake up all those unused muscles. By the next weekend it's not usually an issue. It's a good pain because you know that you had an awesome time the day before. Thumbup.gif

MalibuNation

I've learned to take it easy the first time out ... which is very hard ... you're excited after a long winter.

** The real pain comes the day after your first sets using muscles you haven't used in a long time **

After this post I'm going to my Bowflex.

Yep, first time out yesterday...back in the gym today! I worked out all off season, but didn't do as much cardio...time to run like a hamster in a wheel!

MalibuNation
Yep, first time out yesterday...back in the gym today! I worked out all off season, but didn't do as much cardio...time to run like a hamster in a wheel!

I think cardio is my "weakest link" ... could loose some weight too. My knees say "no mas, no mas" to running, time to break out the bike.

My lower back is what kills me.... Still havnt figured a way to stress it the way wakeboarding does, other than taking my handle to the gym and hook it up to some weights and just holding it as long as I can, but I havnt tried that yet.

I've learned to take it easy the first time out ... which is very hard ... you're excited after a long winter.

** The real pain comes the day after your first sets using muscles you haven't used in a long time **

i head for the lake with the best of intentions then when i get on the water i'm so excited i'm lucky if i don't wet myself.

i start out pulling hard end end up pulling harder.

smiling all the way home.

it's a sickness.

My lower back is what kills me.... Still havnt figured a way to stress it the way wakeboarding does, other than taking my handle to the gym and hook it up to some weights and just holding it as long as I can, but I havnt tried that yet.

i guess that's my whole point.

while your back is really talking; head to the gym and figure just what makes it go.

that's the one to focus on for the next off season.

MalibuNation

i head for the lake with the best of intentions then when i get on the water i'm so excited i'm lucky if i don't wet myself.

it's a sickness.

Ditto to above. I get a tad bit nervous before I go out for the first time too.

Heavy deadlifts

it's a sickness.

ROFL.gif:lol:Plus1.gif

sort out which exercises will touch those hot spots and add a little special effort there in the off season.

now, if i can just remember all the way into this fall/winter what it was i planned to concentrate on i'll be lucky.

I lift weights and run often. I usually run 4 or 5 miles at a time and do that 3 times a week. So when I lift weights, I focus on my upper body and never work my legs. I've convinced myself that since I run my legs are strong. However, a long set of wakeboarding makes my quads and hamstrings feel like they are ON FIRE. Cry.gif All last summer I promised myself that I would do various leg exericises and squats over the off-season to address my upper leg muscles. Well, now it's April and I'm kicking myself because I didn't do it. Mad.gif

I'm about mid-way through my second round of P90-X. I've dropped about 10-12 lbs since the holidays and I'm at my mid-summer weight from last year. My buddy and I went skiing for the first time a couple weeks ago. We each did 3 sets, nothing crazy. I tried to take it easy at first, but soon found myself getting after it.....mostly cause it is so much freaking fun!! The acceleration out of a good turn is such a rush! Anyway, I was sore as hell about 36 hours later.....working out all off-season did wonders DURING my first time out, but I was still sore afterward. I'm convinced slalom skiing uses very unique muscles. If anyone has done P90X, you know it is a phenomenal mix of different workouts....but it's no match for some good hard pulls!!

Edited by spinxt
MalibuNation

Calexan,

I'm not a Dr. and I don't play one on TV, but what about working on your abs ... always helped my back. I've been working on both my abs and my flab Biggrin.gif

Strong stomach muscles are a big help to your back.

Edited by MalibuNation
Calexan,

I'm not a Dr. and I don't play one on TV, but what about working on your abs ... always helped my back. I've been working on both my abs and my flab Biggrin.gif

Strong stomach muscles are a big help to your back.

Plus1.gif

I have the same problem but I've tried lower back extensions, I usually don't worry about those during the winter, but about a month before the starts if you focus on abs and lower back it's well worth it, that helped me alot in 08'. Last year out on my first few slalom runs my quads were just burning so squats and running have been my focus the past month and 1/2, I should be ready Whistling.gif

Edited by 68Slalom

I like the rowing machine because it simulates pulling on the handle and I am winded just like chasing buoys.

Our Athletic Club has 2 rowing machines. You sit on a moving seat and pull on a cable attached to a wind resistance device. You keep your back upright while pulling on the chain and this will get your cardio going as good as riding a "spin" bike in class. Plus every minute I change my handle position and trajectory. I've stopped using my heart rate monitor but I suspect that my heart rate easily exceeds 140 per min up to maybe 160 or so.

I've been a gym rat for over 30 years now and do the traditional lifting but at a much reduced level due to various injuries. I was a competitive citizen runner for 20 years also but dropped out due to injuries also. Now I do the "spin" bike 3 days per week for an hour for cardio. At 63 I'd like to do better but the wheels have come off. As I've said before I used to be a "wedge" but now I look like a peanuts character.

Yeah yeah yeah. :) Just try it. Some of those classes would have the biggest, toughest guy crying in his pool of sweat. Although it does take a guy that's really secure in his manhood to attend those classes. Tease.gif

i think she's taunting you, Vin... Whistling.gif

You guys need to try some Pilates or Yoga, both are great for the core.

Spoken like a true girl.

;)

The yoga thing is good in a bad way... It kicks my butt... I add one of yoga to my weekly work out for streaching and balance.

Ahhh $)($$!, this California granola crap is starting to grow on me like fungus or moss.