Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone Eliminate Computron on your old Echelon?

Thinking about eliminating the troublesome Computron, anyone have some advice? I've got a 94 with intermintently working computron that needs to go. Thinking about using the spot in the dash for a depth finder and hour meter or other suggestions? Am I opening up a wiring "can of worms"? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The guy who replied to the first post didn't give a whole lot of info. I'm a little nervous that I could end up diconnecting something important since the system monitors some engine info. :) The wiring under the dash is a little overwhelming to a novice like myself so didn't want to unplug something that needs to stay plugged in. "Just making a new dash" is a pretty big undertaking and was hoping to get a little info on what it took to do that, what to avoid, some suggestions or hints from someone who has done this might suggest.

Stuart,

I had a 96 Echelon and had a new dash plate made. I went to a machine shop and had them make a new plate. It is pretty easy for them to do. You are able to disconnect the Computron but your issues are going to be threefold:

1. You will have to wire a new hour meter for the boat

2. You will have to wire a new depth gauge

3. I would suggest purchasing a new set of gauges.

The problem with the old gauges are they are mounted from the back to the front. It will not work with the cuts that need to be made in the new dash. Take a look at the gauges on your boat vs the one a new boat. The slide in from the front of the dash. You can PM me and I can help you understand this. Faria makes some great gauges. This will be about a $1,500 project.

Brad

Stuart,

I had a 96 Echelon and had a new dash plate made. I went to a machine shop and had them make a new plate. It is pretty easy for them to do. You are able to disconnect the Computron but your issues are going to be threefold:

1. You will have to wire a new hour meter for the boat

2. You will have to wire a new depth gauge

3. I would suggest purchasing a new set of gauges.

The problem with the old gauges are they are mounted from the back to the front. It will not work with the cuts that need to be made in the new dash. Take a look at the gauges on your boat vs the one a new boat. The slide in from the front of the dash. You can PM me and I can help you understand this. Faria makes some great gauges. This will be about a $1,500 project.

Brad

Thanks for the info Brad. I was thinking the hour meter and depth guage would have to be re-wired, I can probably get someone to do that. I didn't realize the guages went in different than the new ones so I'll keep that in mind. I'm going to tackle this in a few weeks so if I have a question I may pm you. Thanks again.

That particular project is not very hard. I made a different dash for mine, it came w/o a Computron but everything is still there for one if I find a unit (le me know if you are interested in parting with your dash unit). I installed a speed control module in the dash, and did a 4-1 sensor gauge also. The dash that did not have the Computron installed is basically a similar piece of steel or aluminum cut with different holes to adapt to the gauge configuration you choose. You can easily add an hour meter / depth gauge / clock to replace the area where you remove the computron.

I will make a suggestion in terms of display or setup: Install the tachometer in the center, the two Airguide speedo's on either side and then put the sensor gauges (oil pressure / water temp / voltmeter / fuel level) in the outer wings. You can then add the hour meter and any other gauge you choose to that area. I do find a clock to be surprisingly valuable. Make a cardboard template to start so you can design the setup to suit you and get the correct locations and hole sizes, then make the metal one. As for wiring, the project will be very simple, the wiring behind the dash is very basic and the items you are adding require only a 12 volt supply and perhaps a sensor wire. You will have to add a ground connection to each gauge, but that is also very easy. The existing gauges can be mounted from the back of the dash or from the front, they will just provide a different appearance, the rear mount will require a little more work on your part.