Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What ski for me?

Baddog

I am a recreational skier and getting better all the time. However, I have never run a course and am not sure how I would do if there was one around but . . .

. . . be that as it may, I think it is time for a more agressive ski. I currently ride an HO "Deep V" shaped ski. It is so easy to get up on and really great when I have an inexperienced driver and they take off too slow, but not too agressive in the turns (of course neither am I).

What ski would you recommend for an Intermediate skier heading to advanced?

Second Toad's response...Go with the CDX...Wiley's will get you in the correct length. Go with the Animal bindings. You will not be disappointed. Wiley's is great to work with. I just picked up a CDX about a month ago.

Call Darrin at www.wileyski.com and get a CDX while you still can.

Absolutely. :)

What bindings?  What size for  a 5'7", 179#?

I'll second the "Animals" recommendation. As far as size...they'll probably recommend a 67, it will depend a bit on your skiing speed. I found out just recently that the CDX is much happier at 34 mph than 32 mph.

Call Darrin at www.wileyski.com and get a CDX while you still can.

Absolutely. :)

What bindings?  What size for  a 5'7", 179#?

I'll second the "Animals" recommendation. As far as size...they'll probably recommend a 67, it will depend a bit on your skiing speed. I found out just recently that the CDX is much happier at 34 mph than 32 mph.

That's why you should start out on a KD or D3 ski. They are forgiving at all speeds, still call Wiley's or Barts but ask for a KD or D3 ofr starting out. Remember all, the CDX was the hotest rod on the street for all the big dogs just a few years ago. Just because it can be bought on the cheap doesn't mean it's a good starter ski.

I'm a recreational skier also and just went to the HO Triumph (67" for 6'1" 185 lbs) with the Venom high wraps. I love this ski so far. It's really easy to ski in the open water but responds quickly when you decide to start cranking it. It's great for me because I can ski in choppy conditions as well as the smooth stuff.

It seems equally at home riding the tail (like the older HO skis) or more balanced ("west coast" style). HO is re-working the Vengeance (in theory) for '06 to base it on the System 8/Monza shape. That might be a good one to look at next year.

You may also want to look at the KD 7000 if you want to ski "balanced". I've heard really good things about it from several people.

You may find that a slightly wider ski like the Vengeance or Triumph will be more versatile for open-water skiing. The 7000/CR7, Monza/System 8, and CDX will be traditional competition shapes (narrower). Not sure what you're after but hope this helps...

Mike

I'd check out the vengence (old ASX) as well.  The CDX is a great ski as well.

I just bought my second CDX from Wileys and I agree with Sksix. It is a pretty high speed ski for an intermediate skier. One of our ski mates runs the ASX and he really likes it. He is running 32 off at 32 MPH-he is in his mid-50s. I am 40 something and run at 34 MPH and the CDX really is nice at that speed. I ran a KD 7000 a few years back and it was a good ski also. I was just getting into the course and ran into 35 off with it.

Good luck!

Hmmm. I'm an old KD guy, then D3 and now Monza. When I tried the CDX it was pretty much unskiable for me. Sure I could run some passes but it wasn't comfortable.

If I were to pick a forgiving ski it would be the KD/D3 bunch, great turns, BIG sweet spot and OK acceleration.

My Monza is smokin fast for acceleration but it's a stinker to get it to cast out well and get consistantly great turns.

. .  . be that as it may, I think it is time for a more agressive ski. 

What ski would you recommend for an Intermediate skier heading to advanced?

SkySki Pro S/T - all those other skis won't get you but a few inches off the water! Those little round balls really look best from above! Biggrin.gif