Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine alignment check and other questions

I have done most of the maintenance myself on my boat. I do my own winterizations and oil changes, just changed the cap and rotor, the steering cable, etc. But I do think I should have the engine alignment checked and I know I need to tighten up my driveshaft packing. The thru-hull packing leaks like a sieve, considering it should only be a few drops per minute or something like that. How hard is it to check the engine alignment and does it really need to be done if I have not changed anything and the thru hull packing looks like I need some pretty big wrenches to tighten that and then how much do it tighten it. Half turn, full turn?????where should I start.

One more question, I went to change the plugs last year but had ordered the wrong ones. The ones in it, I believe are platinum plugs. They looked Okay. How often do you change those types of plugs and how often do you change the wires. Just curious. Thanks for your help crew.

Sportster with 340 Monsoon

Kevin

The alignment you can check by turning your prop. if it is stiff you should do an alignment. If you have a dealer close take the boat there. If you do it yourself, you will need some time and patience.

The alignment you can check by turning your prop. if it is stiff you should do an alignment. If you have a dealer close take the boat there. If you do it yourself, you will need some time and patience.

I've never heard of that....

Anyway after 5-6 seasons of vibration, you can pull the coupler from the tranny and check the alignment with a feeler gauge. .003" is the spec but I've seen boats wayyy off from that (v-drives) with no noticable drivetrain vibration.

-Chris

One more question, I went to change the plugs last year but had ordered the wrong ones. The ones in it, I believe are platinum plugs. They looked Okay. How often do you change those types of plugs and how often do you change the wires. Just curious. Thanks for your help crew.

Kevin

I believe that the platinum plugs are supposed to be good for 300-500 hours. However, assuming you fog every year when winterizing, I don't think I'd leave them in for that long, as that process may gum them up a bit. After last season, my platinums were starting to look a little tired at 180hrs. I've decided to go w/ the standard (cheaper) plugs and change them out every spring, after burning out the fog w/ the first start/run (I put about 50 hrs/yr on boat).

Not sure about the lifespan of the wires (I have purchased a set to change my original ones out in the spring). You might want to contact skidim to get their opinion on this (as well as the platinums).

Edited by davemac
I have done most of the maintenance myself on my boat. I do my own winterizations and oil changes, just changed the cap and rotor, the steering cable, etc. But I do think I should have the engine alignment checked and I know I need to tighten up my driveshaft packing. The thru-hull packing leaks like a sieve, considering it should only be a few drops per minute or something like that. How hard is it to check the engine alignment and does it really need to be done if I have not changed anything and the thru hull packing looks like I need some pretty big wrenches to tighten that and then how much do it tighten it. Half turn, full turn?????where should I start.

Kevin

buddy is right spin propeller if any tight spots you have to take out 4 bolts that connect drive shaft coupling to trans run a feeler guage around it quarterly with out touching or turning shaft should all be equal.as for the stuffing chances are its fine if your boat is always out of the water they tend to leak more if you notice you leave the boat in the water a day or 2 it changes for the better

Make sure you get the alignment right. I had a boat where the alignment was slightly off and ended up going through two drive shafts over a few years before they figured out what the problem was. It otherwise ran great without noticeable vibration and the prop turned just fine.