Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Check Valves

Spenser309

Im having some trouble in designing a ballast system for an 00 VLX.

Where do I get check valves and where do i use them?

Just on the intake to the sac or do I need to have one on the drain also?

Im hoping to do a 3 sac system with 2 750's in the rear under the electric hatch and then one in the ski locker.

Ill probly do 6 cheap pumps. Just because i want it to be fully electronic and electronic valves are way to expensive.

And maybe just maybe ill get an electric wedge. Biggrin.gif

Anyone comments or suggestions on this would help me alot.

Edited by Spenser309

You shouldn't need check valves as long as you put loops that go well above the water line in both your fill & empty lines. That will keep the bags from filling & emptying on their own. If you use the Rule 700 or 1100 pumps that will be pretty economical, you'll just need to make sure that you can keep them primed (empty pumps below the bag, fill pumps below the water line & preferably in thru-hulls if possible).

Or you can do the simmer pumps (70.00 on wakeworld) and not have to worry about the loops and they are reversable. quick and easy. its all up to what you want to do.

later

Or you can do the simmer pumps (70.00 on wakeworld) and not have to worry about the loops and they are reversable.  quick and easy.  its all up to what you want to do. 

later

Where do you get the simmer pumps from? Do they have the link there?

of course thats $70 a pump vs $20 a pump. im still saving 100 dollars even if i buy 6 of the 20 pumps.

Do the cheap overton's pumps run even if they are not primed. Just because i dont like drilling into a boat. I was thinking I could just throw a hose over the side.

Or maybe even have a pusher system where there is a $20 pump that goes in the water with the intake hose to prime the other 3 pumps.

Edited by Spenser309

If you use the Simer pumps (& I have), you'll need to use relays in your wiring because their amp draw is too much (at least on startup) for the stock switches to handle. Also, they aren't ignition protected so you shouldn't use them in a bilge or engine area.

Simer 8512 - draw is 12 amps continuous/20 amps on startup, self-priming & reversible

Contact BE Atlas @ (800) 305-4393 to order, should be about $70

Spenser,

I'd have to see a link to be sure, but I think the pumps that you're talking about will run when they're not primed, but they won't suck any water either. The pusher system could work, but you need to be sure that you're not going to be starving the pumps that you'll be feeding. IMO, your best option would be to use 1 or 2 thru-hull intakes (as many as you have available) & build a manifold out of pvc pipe to feed the 6 pumps. That way you can be sure to get enough water to keep them primed & have good fill times.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/d...&item_num=27397

that is what i was thinking for the pusher and/or the other pumps. I just hate drilling into a boat. Iono it just dont feel right.

So will the pusher system work. the open flow seems kinda small but i could run a valve that i turn open that runs straight to see water after i prime the pumps.

There may be one in the ski locker. Personally, I would go the route of using those plugs for a manifold that you can attach your pumps to. Obviously you want to leave 1 plug open to drain the bilge, but if you've got 2, then you should have good flow & prime that way.

You could try the pusher system & it may work fine, but to my mind when you build a ballast system you want to automate it as much as possible. So I guess in the end you just need to decide how automatic you want the system to be.

thanks for all the help tonight. I think ill try the pusher system. Then try that. I really do appreciate it because the last plumbing job i tried to i ran out of three propane tanks trying to put on a fitting.

Or you can do the simmer pumps (70.00 on wakeworld) and not have to worry about the loops and they are reversable.  quick and easy.  its all up to what you want to do. 

later

Where do you get the simmer pumps from? Do they have the link there?

Where did you find Rule 700 or 1100's for $20?