Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Painting the rub rail??

Johnson8537

Has anyone ever painted thier rub rail? I have a 95 Tantrum and have been cleaning it up and the old Purple rub rail really makes the boat look OLD.

I can get a new black insert but the othe part is rivited to the boat and think i might have to try to paint it???

If so anyoe know what would hold up on it? I know i might have to touch it up if it actually rubs on something...

I was thinking a primer and then a vinyl paint??

What are your thoughts??

PS does this forum not have an attachment button for images? Do you have to have them hosted elsewhere? I can do that but its nice to just attach in the thread.

I replaced the rub rails on a previous boat and it's not very hard, you just drill out the rivets and make sure you can find them all on the inside of the boat. Painting them is another option but I think if the paints starts to chip it will look worse. You can get the rub rail at any marine store, just need a sample of your old one so they can match it up.

I've painted some plastic pieces (actually a steering wheel for my 1967 Chevelle) and had relatively good luck. Try finding an automotive paint supply store and tell them what you are painting. They should be able to recommend a self etching primer that is specific to plastic. I think the brand I used was called "Bulldog". You had to scotch bright, degrease and clean the surface really well first. Then paint it with the self etching plastic primer. After that I painted it with normal primer then black urethane enamel.

I would consider the steering wheel to be a high wear area, and I never scratched or wore through the paint. Even driving with my wedding ring on it held up really well to resisting nicks. Considering I changed the color of the wheel from gold to black, any scratch to the original surface would really stand out. I'm not sure how the rub rail would fair if you had a hard contact to a dock or even if you were tied up to a dock with fenders for a long time. But the cost of painting it may be much cheaper than replacing it. A coworker was trying to replace just the center wear strip, and I think that alone was over $300.

Good luck.

I've painted some plastic pieces (actually a steering wheel for my 1967 Chevelle) and had relatively good luck. Try finding an automotive paint supply store and tell them what you are painting. They should be able to recommend a self etching primer that is specific to plastic. I think the brand I used was called "Bulldog". You had to scotch bright, degrease and clean the surface really well first. Then paint it with the self etching plastic primer. After that I painted it with normal primer then black urethane enamel.

I would consider the steering wheel to be a high wear area, and I never scratched or wore through the paint. Even driving with my wedding ring on it held up really well to resisting nicks. Considering I changed the color of the wheel from gold to black, any scratch to the original surface would really stand out. I'm not sure how the rub rail would fair if you had a hard contact to a dock or even if you were tied up to a dock with fenders for a long time. But the cost of painting it may be much cheaper than replacing it. A coworker was trying to replace just the center wear strip, and I think that alone was over $300.

Good luck.

Well Here it is... I tried painting it.. ( I found a Bumper Paint and primer)

Looks good now... we'll see how it holds up.

Before..

bimini2.jpg

bimini3.jpg

bimini.jpg

After the paint:

painted2.jpg

All masked off ready for paint...

painted3.jpg

painted4.jpg

The the center counsol- Also painted...

painted.jpg

Edited by Johnson8537
Looks loads better now! Just be a bit careful with bumpers I suppose, use the softer ones as opposed to the harder ones which may chip it.

YES>>> Now just to see if it holds up... (Sorry for the crappy images took them with my cell phone after forgeting the camera.)