Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need a little help!

Todd34

Hey everyone. I've been lurking here for a while and have been trying to get a Malibu education before I buy. I have found an 04 23 LSV with the 380 HH and after a bit of research, am concerned about that motor. I have read a bit about the issues with the 04 HH and wonder what kind of report I can ask for from the dealer to see if the boat has had any issues.

It has 172 hours and from what I've read, the problems usually surfaced early on. Should I still be concerned?

Thanks,

Todd

Don't have any experience with the engine, but from my research the engines went before 100 hrs. PM Stewart I think he had 2 or 3 replacements.

Hey everyone. I've been lurking here for a while and have been trying to get a Malibu education before I buy. I have found an 04 23 LSV with the 380 HH and after a bit of research, am concerned about that motor. I have read a bit about the issues with the 04 HH and wonder what kind of report I can ask for from the dealer to see if the boat has had any issues.

It has 172 hours and from what I've read, the problems usually surfaced early on. Should I still be concerned?

Thanks,

Todd

See if the guy or girl can provide records of service and then have the engine and checked out by a second party, if it already has that many hours something should have already happened. I would start off by pulling some plugs too see what they look like before even mentioning anything about a second party inspection to the person selling it. Hope it all works out for you Thumbup.gif

Actually it was usually within the first 20 hours. We sold our '04 HH with 200ish & it ran like a violated primate. :) Great motor with lots & lots of mid range.

WakeGirl,

I read that the 380 HH ran better with a different prop. What prop did you use on that boat?

Thanks,

Todd

Well, mine was a direct drive so it's a different gear ratio & as a result an apples & oranges comparison. For that boat though, I'd look at either an Acme 1235 or OJ468 or 475. Any of those will be a big upgrade over the stock prop, which is probably an Acme 537.

Thanks,

Todd

Many great answers have been stated...I don't have any information about that motor, however you can have the dealer perform what is called a "Buyers Check" this would allow a certified tech to check all componets of the motor, trans etc. Once it's completed the dealer will give you a written report of what was found with the boat...9 times out of 10 they are VERY tough because they want your business in the future.

When I brought my VLX it was part of the deal I made with the seller...

Shawn