Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'03 wakesetter looking for advice

DC_UGAFAN

First time poster here, hopefully many more to come. I was originally looking to get a mobius but the notoriety and looks of malibu got me looking in this direction. I got into wakeboarding last summer so I am not that experienced. I owned a fishing boat for a year and sold it last weekend so now I am looking to get a wakeboard boat.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2003-MAL...%20VLX-94678243

I came across this one and was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction in what to look for esp. since it is an 03. I was hoping to find one with lower hours but this seems like a good deal and 575 is not that high.

I emailed the sales manager tonight to get some more information. I dont know exactly how much ballast it has, and I dont see a bimini top, which is a must have for me.

what should I look for when I go to check it out

book on this boat is 23-26k. so given that this boat is in solid good condition is that a good price to pay?

First time poster here, hopefully many more to come. I was originally looking to get a mobius but the notoriety and looks of malibu got me looking in this direction. I got into wakeboarding last summer so I am not that experienced. I owned a fishing boat for a year and sold it last weekend so now I am looking to get a wakeboard boat.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2003-MAL...%20VLX-94678243

I came across this one and was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction in what to look for esp. since it is an 03. I was hoping to find one with lower hours but this seems like a good deal and 575 is not that high.

I emailed the sales manager tonight to get some more information. I dont know exactly how much ballast it has, and I dont see a bimini top, which is a must have for me.

what should I look for when I go to check it out

book on this boat is 23-26k. so given that this boat is in solid good condition is that a good price to pay?

First welcome to the site! You’ll find ALOT of information within the site…check this link out and read through it. Once you do that you will have some specific questions that we can answer for you!

DIY

I will leave you with this…when you buy a Malibu your buying much more than just a boat…and to compare Mobius to a Malibu is like oranges and apples.

Good Luck!

MalibuNation

Welcome Clap.gif

Nice looking boat, I have a similar boat. Hours are about right. Does look like it has a lot of goodies, tower, racks, stereo, Monsoon, dual axle trailer to mention a few.

In todays economy I certainly would offer less than what they are asking.

Good luck - Jim

thanks for the replies folks, i figure I'd go in with an initial offer of 20k out the door and see what kind of response I get

Welcome Clap.gif

Nice looking boat, I have a similar boat. Hours are about right. Does look like it has a lot of goodies, tower, racks, stereo, Monsoon, dual axle trailer to mention a few.

In todays economy I certainly would offer less than what they are asking.

Good luck - Jim

DITTO...CTWS is a great group of folks! Nice boat as well! I think it's tough to compare the boat market as it is the same as car market/industry. What I payed 1/2 years ago will appear to be a BAD deal in todays market. With that said you will find what that market is for you and then that will determine how much you are willing to spend!

I'm not sure the city you live in, but for me CTWS is a long drive so I use a local (San Antonio) non Malibu dealer for some stuff and use Bakes.com (Paul) to maintain my boat...FWIW

Shawn

Edited by srintx
MalibuNation

You want to get a good price + you want a good relationship with the dealer ... you can't always have your cake and eat it too. Thanks - Jim

$20K sounds like a good starting price ... have you done any research on similar boats?

You want to get a good price + you want a good relationship with the dealer ... you can't always have your cake and eat it too. Thanks - Jim

$20K sounds like a good starting price ... have you done any research on similar boats?

ive been looking at used wakeboard boats since about october. mostly moomba's, then malibu's a couple months ago. From what I've seen a mid 2000's model is usually priced much higher. He said I could take it home for 23k and after TT$L is like 25k

Looks like a nice boat and the price seems pretty reasonable. I couldn't see if it has a wedge? It does have PP and some sort of ballast system, and looks to be in good condition. What about a towable cover?

That is an odd tower - don't know anything about that

My buddy has same tower on his 03, I forget name. Solid tower but I prefer look of illusion x.

Isn't that the "original" version of the illusion tower. I saw one on a boat here one time. I actually think it looks

pretty cool. Definitely not going to see too many on the lake with that tower....

This screen shot is from the home page of the TX wow 3 yrs. ago. The boat in the middle has the same tower I think.

IIRC Malibu ran this tower for one year and then came out with the illusion.

edit, just found this ad.

post-29-1237056298_thumb.png

Edited by Pistol Pete