Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pro Wedge to Floating Wedge Upgrade

I recently located a stump with my wedge. I have the manual two position bronze & black style. Needless it say it is damaged beyond repair.

Since I have to buy a new one, I am considering retrofitting a stainless floating style wedge onto the boat. Has anyone done this? Will the bolts line up or would I have to drill?

I did the upgrade and it's a direct bolt on, no drilling required. I got mine off some store on ebay for a good price.

How does the well does the floating wedge work? Is it an upgrade from the manual wedge? Would it work on an 05 vride?

Edited by ruffdawg

I did it. Direct bolt on to my '04. No difference in the wake. Just prettier and doesn't have to be locked down. The best part, no bolts to break off like the old wedges had. The foil is welded to the arms.

I did it. Direct bolt on to my '04. No difference in the wake. Just prettier and doesn't have to be locked down. The best part, no bolts to break off like the old wedges had. The foil is welded to the arms.

Yup my exact reasoning.

Are you guys sure the mounting plate can just swap on over? I could've sworn I heard that the new mounting plate for the floater holes didn't line up.

Are you guys sure the mounting plate can just swap on over? I could've sworn I heard that the new mounting plate for the floater holes didn't line up.

Are you asking me if I am sure if I unbolted the old wedge bracket and bolted the new wedge bracket to the transom of my boat? Well yes Pete, I am 100% sure I did. It bolted right up as I said in my post above.

Are you asking me if I am sure if I unbolted the old wedge bracket and bolted the new wedge bracket to the transom of my boat? Well yes Pete, I am 100% sure I did. It bolted right up as I said in my post above.

Tease2.gif

hehe, jk

Thanks Ronnie,

I didn't know you had the technical prowess to do such a job. Whistling.gif

I thought maybe you had the dealer do it and maybe they didn't tell you everything that was involved with the installation.

Wait until the wedge fails, then do it. Yes, it's worth doing at that point, but not if you have to replace the whole shooting match. It made a nice difference in the wake (both boarding & surfing) on the VLX. And yes, it bolted right up to the stock mounting holes on our boat. The only warning that I'd have would be if the old mounting plate was mounted too high, you may run into difficulty there (just speculating). But with plenty of measuring, you should be able to figure that out ahead of time.

I have a thread that detailed the differences with pics & all somewhere around here. A search should find it. It made a nice difference. If you don't have a wedge or wedge plate, I would vote floating every day of the week & twice on Sunday. If you do, like I said wait for it to fail.

Sorry. I must have somehow missed Tracie's floating wedge thread when I did a search on this.

I am pleased to hear it bolts right up. The only question is where is the best place to purchase. Dealer quoted $1,000. I only saw the manual wedge for sale on ebay but I'll keep checking.

• 2 years later...

Hey Gang, I realize this is an old thread, but, I have a manual wedge that was dealer installed on my '95 Echelon. For some reason it has suffered major pitting from electrolysis on the aluminum parts of the wedge, (though it's never seen salt water). I'm afraid it will eventually fail, and will probably upgrade to the stainless floating wedge. I s everyone still "happy" with their floating wedge ?

Hey Gang, I realize this is an old thread, but, I have a manual wedge that was dealer installed on my '95 Echelon. For some reason it has suffered major pitting from electrolysis on the aluminum parts of the wedge, (though it's never seen salt water). I'm afraid it will eventually fail, and will probably upgrade to the stainless floating wedge. I s everyone still "happy" with their floating wedge ?

Well, I don't have an answer for you, but you might have answered one for me. My wedge has some pitting on it as well. Just bought the boat and was assured it was never in salt water, but couldn't figure out why it would pit like that, although I don't think any of it is aluminum. This is on an 03 VLX. Funny because on my 98 Response with 1100 hours I had no similar issues and yet you do on your 95. Wonder what the difference is? I also have some pitting on the bracket. Do you as well?

Well, I don't have an answer for you, but you might have answered one for me. My wedge has some pitting on it as well. Just bought the boat and was assured it was never in salt water, but couldn't figure out why it would pit like that, although I don't think any of it is aluminum. This is on an 03 VLX. Funny because on my 98 Response with 1100 hours I had no similar issues and yet you do on your 95. Wonder what the difference is? I also have some pitting on the bracket. Do you as well?

It can happen in any water, it's a reaction of 2 dissimilar metals bound together.

Edited by Ndawg12