Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2002 Malibu Response SS

Hydrogasm

I just got back from Tn towing a new to me '02 Response SS and I am trying to get a little history on the boat. I was told by the dealer that there were only 2 made like this for '02 Malibu Open. It has a special red,white & blue gel-coat pattern. Powered by a LS1 375hp Corvette engine, all stainless undergear, manual wedge,Perfect Pass, closed cooling, 3 outlet heater, stainless exhaust tips, CD with an amp & sub, tandem axle trailer with 4 wheel disc brakes, 5 spoke alloys, folding tongue and a matching spare. The trailer and Sunbrella cover match the gel-coat pattern. The boat has only 173 hours.

If anyone has any more info on the background of it or know who I could contact to get more info on it, I would really appreciate. I can't post photos but I can send them to anyone if they wanted to post them for me.

Thanks

Gary

Very cool. I was under the impression the two Response SS boats built had the 425hp 8.1 liter engine?? I think crew member walnuthill knows somebody with one of those, as I think it was him that posted some pics of one in action last summer or fall.

Congrats, that is a neat boat. Thumbup.gif

I think they made a few boats with that Red, White, Blue color scheme.

We have one in New England that is a Sunsetter LXI decked out the same way.

-Chris

I just got back from Tn towing a new to me '02 Response SS and I am trying to get a little history on the boat. I was told by the dealer that there were only 2 made like this for '02 Malibu Open. It has a special red,white & blue gel-coat pattern. Powered by a LS1 375hp Corvette engine, all stainless undergear, manual wedge,Perfect Pass, closed cooling, 3 outlet heater, stainless exhaust tips, CD with an amp & sub, tandem axle trailer with 4 wheel disc brakes, 5 spoke alloys, folding tongue and a matching spare. The trailer and Sunbrella cover match the gel-coat pattern. The boat has only 173 hours.

If anyone has any more info on the background of it or know who I could contact to get more info on it, I would really appreciate. I can't post photos but I can send them to anyone if they wanted to post them for me.

Thanks

Gary

Post your pictures on a free site such as photobucket and them link them to the Crew. If once you have them posted and need hlpe linking them PM me the url and I'll get them up for you.

Congrats on the boat!

I have a Photobucket account so I'll do that tonight. With the HIN would Malibu be able to give me a history??

Keep the info coming.

Thanks

Gary

I have a Photobucket account so I'll do that tonight. With the HIN would Malibu be able to give me a history??

Keep the info coming.

Thanks

Gary

Probably. I was also under the impression that those 2 boats were 8.1 boats. Does the engine box seem like it's much larger than it needs to be? That was one of the cool things about them, the bigger-than-normal engine box that was needed to accommodate the size of the 8.1L.

My boat is an open bow model with a regular sized motor box and it was sold by Nashville Inboards to the fellow I bought it from. Unfortunately the photos on the link would not open. I will put the photos I have of the boat on Photobucket and put the link up tonight, so that you can see them.

Thanks

Gary

My boat is an open bow model with a regular sized motor box and it was sold by Nashville Inboards to the fellow I bought it from. Unfortunately the photos on the link would not open. I will put the photos I have of the boat on Photobucket and put the link up tonight, so that you can see them.

Thanks

Gary

That corroborates Peter's explanation in the thread I linked to. It sounds like Malibu built a few replica versions of the SS models actually used to pull skiers in the US Open (amongst other events).

Thought I'd toss this one back in the mix

This is a one off Response CB with Ghost Metalflake and the 8.1. It's for some hotrod builder

gallery_56_293_65555.jpg

Wouldn't that be a kick to drive!!!!!!

-Paul

Here is a link to the photos I just added to Photobucket:

http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd38/Hy...0Response%20SS/

That’s a sweet looking ride you got there! The matching cover and trailer colors are really nifty. The pic of your boat on the water looks especially nice!

Thanks for posting those, I was curious to see that style without the cover on it and in another situation besides the SLXI that East Cost Flightcraft has for sale. The interior in yours is awesome.

You may have just encouraged someone to pursue that special design a little harder?

Again, very nice boat…great choice! Thumbup.gif

Hopefully Peter will jump in shortly with some sort of info if he knows it.

When I was buying my boat, he had the SS in his showroom for service, I think he had sold it already and was winterizing it -- what an awesome ride.

I am going to e-mail Malibu the HIN and see if they have any more details on it as well. Thanks for all the compliments. I can't wait to ski behind it, Gary.

Hopefully Peter will jump in shortly with some sort of info if he knows it.

When I was buying my boat, he had the SS in his showroom for service, I think he had sold it already and was winterizing it -- what an awesome ride.

Yes, I saw that one too awhile back. I didn't realize at the time how rare it truly was.

Anyway, I'm not sure we'll hear much from Peter right now--I think he's prepping the next boat show, up past you, Scott.