Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

D Drive vs V Drive

mrb140

The Sunsetter LXI is a great boat for offering course performance and yet plenty of storage (18 Cu. Ft.) rear trunk. The beam is 93.5"wide and 21'8" long. Malibu just started a new model called the FXI a direct drive boat that has a rear trunk and the beam is much wider at 98". At this point any boat going through the course imho should be a DD. The one VD option that has received good reviews is the 20' LSV or the cousin the VTX on the diamond hull.

I'd love to get something new, but looking in the used area. What's your opinion on the Sunsetter XTI? That seems to give the room for people and still provide the DD. Yet Malibu doesn't make it anymore, so I wonder if users didn't/don't like them.

The XTI series made compromises yet at the end of the day really didn't satisfy the hardcore crowd. The 21' XTI is basically the SLX and really lacks the equivalent amount of storage of the SLXI. Slalomwise the XTI unless it was ordered on the diamond hull will have a hard bump at 15' and 22' off, but very doable and will track well in the course. Those that purchased the XTI model have commented on the board they love it. Keep mind the rear seating of the XTI is useless when you want to ski, imho doesn't make the XTI anymore appealing. Another boat to consider is the 2002 Sunsetter which came on the diamond hull, though for space issues I'd still recommend the SSLXI as the top crossover as it skis very well, offers plenty of storage, large and spacious for a DD, and used prices are well suited. You should be able to find them in the high teens to low 20's for the '99-'02 model years.

The 99 and newer sun setter LXI are on the diamond hulls. If you can afford going into 99 or newer you can't get much better wake. The boat is not weight sensitive like some of the smaller boats. You will end up with a full load with 8 people DD or V drive. A boat with jump seats my be a +. Also you may like an injector motor if possible 99 the base SSLXI had a carb motor still not bad I just like EFI better.

Oh Yeah, Thumbup.gif Two thumbs up for the larger Sunsetter LXI models and a strong Plus1.gif For the 2002 Sunsetter Biggrin.gif

The 02 Sunsetter still gives you a locker in the back, has the SV23 Diamond hull, just a few inches longer than the hardcore RLXI, and has a 10 person cap. If you can find one of these, I highly recommend it.

Ours has a great slalom wake, even if there is people up front and in the abservers seats. When the wedge goes down and the boat slows, the wake is well liked by the boarders.

Get a DD Sunsetter or SLXI on a Diamond hull and you'll love it.

I've had a 99 SS Lxi and now a VTX. I have free skied and skied the course behind each. I prefer to ski behind the VTX. There is less trough and I think a little smoother, but a bit bigger. I dont mind that it is bigger because it has less trough. After running my VTX thru the course for a week, with 3 drivers (2 of which had never driven a course before), we only trashed one bouy, and that was because the sun being in the driver's eyes.

The SS Lxi is a great boat, but the VTX absolutely rocks.

After running my VTX thru the course for a week, with 3 drivers (2 of which had never driven a course before), we only trashed one bouy, and that was because the sun being in the driver's eyes.

Likely excuse. How many times have I told you to wear sunglasses when you drive!? Biggrin.gif

Malibu has always made some great skiing V drives. Here's our 2001 Sunsetter VLX at 28' off, 36 MPH. Just some free skiing action from a couple seasons back. Download this by right clicking, then use the speed selector in Windows Media Player or your player of choice for WMV to slow the video down. That'll give you a better look at the wake. On the turns where I keep the ski flat, it barely moves when I hit the wake. Not too shabby for a V drive, especially at 28 off. 22 off isn't much worse.

http://ebbsnet.net/28off.wmv

Malibu has always made some great skiing V drives. Here's our 2001 Sunsetter VLX at 28' off, 36 MPH. Just some free skiing action from a couple seasons back. Download this by right clicking, then use the speed selector in Windows Media Player or your player of choice for WMV to slow the video down. That'll give you a better look at the wake. On the turns where I keep the ski flat, it barely moves when I hit the wake. Not too shabby for a V drive, especially at 28 off. 22 off isn't much worse.

Thanks for the vid and feedback.

an 03 or 04 Sunscape 21 LSV. In 05 the hull was redesigned and it became worse for slalom but better for wakeboarding.

We both ski and wakeboard from our 03 21 LSV and we love it.

If you can spring for a new boat I would recommend either a VTX or a Sunscape 20 LSV. The 20 LSV is an approved Class C AWSA towboat. I have looked at both of them and they are both great. The only thing I don't like in the VTX is the no ski locker. Depending on your plans, if you are more skier then boarder, I would tend towards the 20 LSV.

Thanks for the vid and feedback.

You can store skis in the VTX under the port seats, however. Not the same as a ski locker, but it can work in a pinch.

Your situation is pretty similar to the one I went through- I decided on the VTX in the end.