Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Depth Finder on 247 wakesetter

Winz

I have a 06 247 wakesetter with just about every option except the factory depth finder. I am interested in adding this capability. Has anyone done this retrofit? Should I go with factory system or one of the transom mounted aftermarket systems?

I would go with the factory. That way it will work with your Malibu Command Center. It is not a very difficult install. They drill a hole in the hull near the v-drive.

Going factory will ensure that your loaded 247 is legit. :)

I know this is not the way cool answer.

I bought a Humminbird 200DX fisfinder and installed it in my boat. We use this device all of the time. It has a little 2.5 x 3" screen. It shows the water temp and a picture of the bottom and also the fish. We explore new rivers and lakes and it is great to see whether you have a grassy bottom or whatever. Plus it has a little alarm beep when you get too shallow. The mounting bracket allows you to be creative as to where you mount it.. My buddy hid his down low so it looks cooler. I ended up mounting mine on the passenger dash facing me so I can read it easily. The upside is that my passengers can read it too and it adds some entertainment value. The screen display works well and can be seen from 4 feet away.

This device has allowed me to find some smooth glass conditions by using the finder to check out the underwater obstacles. It is really a plus in low water years like say the upcoming 2009 season. It draws very little amperage and we leave it on all day long.

Did I mention it added entertainment value to my passengers ?

The established Malibu dealer here in Sac went out of business. I called the service department of the new dealer that is taking on Malibu. His first response was that the depth finder "was not offered on the 2006 Malibu 247". After convincing him that it was, and explaining how it works, it has been two days and he still cannot give me a quote for the factory module. Needless to say, I am not confident that they could install the part.

After doing some searches on this site, it appears that the factory module will run between $350 and $450 plus installation. I went to west marine at lunch today and picked up a hawkeye digital depth sounder for $89. Comes with gauge, transducer, multiple face plates, and 30' of cord. No drilling, easy install due to the "through hull" transducer. I can mount the gauge below the dash near my stereo controls since I don't need to look at it all the time, and I don't want to drill any holes in the dash.

Problem solved!

The established Malibu dealer here in Sac went out of business. I called the service department of the new dealer that is taking on Malibu. His first response was that the depth finder "was not offered on the 2006 Malibu 247". After convincing him that it was, and explaining how it works, it has been two days and he still cannot give me a quote for the factory module. Needless to say, I am not confident that they could install the part.

After doing some searches on this site, it appears that the factory module will run between $350 and $450 plus installation. I went to west marine at lunch today and picked up a hawkeye digital depth sounder for $89. Comes with gauge, transducer, multiple face plates, and 30' of cord. No drilling, easy install due to the "through hull" transducer. I can mount the gauge below the dash near my stereo controls since I don't need to look at it all the time, and I don't want to drill any holes in the dash.

Problem solved!

got a pic of the dial? also want to add a depth finder

thanks