Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery problems on 02 Wakesetter

Hi All,

I bought an 02 Wakesetter a few weeks ago. One problem that I am having is that after sitting at the lake with the boat off the batteries feel like they can barely crank the motor over. We might swim for an hour or so and play the radio, then we get in and the boat will barely crank and sometimes not get enough juice to turn over at all. It has a perko switch and I use my new deep cycle when we are playing the radio. I have another brand new battery just for cranking. Any ideas how to start troubleshooting this problem? I don't know how my cranking battery is getting drained when the perko is set to use only my deep cycle while we are hanging out?

Jeff

Did you add the 2nd battery? Is just the stereo wired to it and everything else to the cranking battery? Sounds like you have a short somewhere that's draining it. You got some electronic checkin' to do. (I hate working on electronics :( ).

If the boat wasn't used that much before you got it, it may need a new battery. If it sat for long periods (like over the winter) without being on a charger, it may have weakened the battery. You may need a new battery.

You can also try tightening the lug nuts on the battery terminals. A loose wire can cause a bad connection which can give the symptoms you are describing.

Your boat's alternator is not nearly big enough to even charge a single deep-cycle, much less two batteries.

How are you managing your charging?

You should trickle charge both every week.

Dave

Your boat's alternator is not nearly big enough to even charge a single deep-cycle, much less two batteries.

Dave

Thanks for the replies. Both batteries are brand new. The dual batteries and perko were installed by the previous owner. I bought new batteries thinking that the two that were it there were bad. I trickle charge my batteries to maintain them.

The stereo and amp is connected to the deep cycle (no. 1 on perko). The cranking battery is connected to no. 2 on the perko.

When we stop the boat the hang out I put the perko on no. 1 position. When we get ready to leave I swap it to no. 2 and try to crank but it feels like the battery is dead. Same for no. 1

I then put the selector on all and it cranks ok. Still a little slow.

Should I only use the perko on the no. 1 or no. 2 position and never put it in the "ALL" position?

I guess I'll start with doulble checking every connection in the circuit.

Dave

Thanks for the replies. Both batteries are brand new. The dual batteries and perko were installed by the previous owner. I bought new batteries thinking that the two that were it there were bad. I trickle charge my batteries to maintain them.

The stereo and amp is connected to the deep cycle (no. 1 on perko). The cranking battery is connected to no. 2 on the perko.

When we stop the boat the hang out I put the perko on no. 1 position. When we get ready to leave I swap it to no. 2 and try to crank but it feels like the battery is dead. Same for no. 1

I then put the selector on all and it cranks ok. Still a little slow.

Should I only use the perko on the no. 1 or no. 2 position and never put it in the "ALL" position?

I guess I'll start with doulble checking every connection in the circuit.

Or get rid of the Perko...

You would have to have a huge stereo and be out there a LONG time to drain two batteries...

You could then carry a portable charger just in case...

Is this accurate? I have a single battery and I have never ever charged it...

There you are doubting me again Cry.gif

Depends on the battery...if you have the stock small battery you should be OK...but it wouldn't hurt to top it off every couple of weeks.

If you have a large Group 27 AGM/Gel battery (like I do...man, is that thing HUGE) or multiple batteries...you will never have a full charge without external charging.

Hi All,

I bought an 02 Wakesetter a few weeks ago. One problem that I am having is that after sitting at the lake with the boat off the batteries feel like they can barely crank the motor over. We might swim for an hour or so and play the radio, then we get in and the boat will barely crank and sometimes not get enough juice to turn over at all. It has a perko switch and I use my new deep cycle when we are playing the radio. I have another brand new battery just for cranking. Any ideas how to start troubleshooting this problem? I don't know how my cranking battery is getting drained when the perko is set to use only my deep cycle while we are hanging out?

Jeff

Also read this:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/dualBattery.html

You need to use caution when using dual batteries....they should be EXACTLY the same model and age. In addition, read the part about what happens when you switch to the "both" position when one battery is significantly lower than the other...

To solve all of this dual battery headaches, I just bought a single Group 27 HUGE battery and a portable charger...just in case...

Dave

Starter going bad?

Alternator not putting out correct charging rate?

Bad/loose connections at the batteries/grounds/perko?

Perko not wired correctly and the batteries are draining from #1 & #2 instead of only #1 or #2?

How big of an amp are you running on the stereo battery?

Starter going bad?

Alternator not putting out correct charging rate?

Bad/loose connections at the batteries/grounds/perko?

Perko not wired correctly and the batteries are draining from #1 & #2 instead of only #1 or #2?

How big of an amp are you running on the stereo battery?

It's just a little sony xplode running two tower speakers. I did not do any of the install of the perko or amp, so I guess I'll pull it all apart and start from scratch.

Can anyone tell me if there is supposed to be a 60 amp breaker in the storage compartment (where the battery box sits) from the factory? Or was this possibly added with the perko install?

60 amp is stock.

Add to your list of maybe's Alternator, it may charge but a diode could be bad and will drain the battery. If you don't have a load tester. Try this. when out on the lake and you start your relaxing time disconnect your starting battery wire's. Ground side. If you have a hard time starting then its the battery if not well you have a draw.

To check the alt with out removing just unplug it after you done using it and check battery Voltage the next day.

OO by the way will the battery be dead over night with out haveing the radio on???

60 amp is stock.

Add to your list of maybe's Alternator, it may charge but a diode could be bad and will drain the battery. If you don't have a load tester. Try this. when out on the lake and you start your relaxing time disconnect your starting battery wire's. Ground side. If you have a hard time starting then its the battery if not well you have a draw.

To check the alt with out removing just unplug it after you done using it and check battery Voltage the next day. 

OO by the way will the battery be dead over night with out haveing the radio on???

Thanks D-Goose. Good ideas. Hopefully I can get this squared away this weekend. :)

by the way will the battery be dead over night with out haveing the radio on???

I'll try it tonight. I usually just put the perko in the off position when I leave the ramp. I'll disconnect the head unit and amp as well and see if it the battery takes a dump. If it does the you are probably right about the diode.