Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Just picked up a 95 Tantrum... What do you think?

Johnson8537

Hi guys... New here from Southern Oregon...

I currently have a 01 Seadoo XP and 01 yamaha Gp800R and 87 Kawasaki Standup

I love the water and have been around lots of boats in my life. (Fell in love with my buddies Malibu Wakesetter and thought... Hmm one day.)

Well I found this today and couldn't pass it up... Even though it is older than i would like, and i wasn't even looking for a boat.

(Well picking it up tomorrow-after test ride) A 95 MALIBU Tantrum 5.7L Merc

Hour Meter shows 654 (owner states left key on Numerous times and drained the battery.)

Motor Seems to Run VERY STRONG! (will know more tomorrow.)

Wakeboard Tower

Two Props

400 watt amp

Cd Player

Bimini Cover (Not pictured)

Swim Platform (needs new hydroturf)

New Upholstery (looks a bit custom?? anyone know?)

What is a good price to pay for this boat assuming it runs great and has no major defects?

Anyway... here you go with the pictures so you can make a better judgement?

momsday026.jpg

momsday024.jpg

momsday023.jpg

momsday022.jpg

Edited by Johnson8537
MalibuNation

Welcome Yahoo.gif

Looks like a very nice and clean boat for it's age + the hours are low for a 95.

Price ... you are going to have to do some reseach on that ... besides here I'd go to:

Boat Trader

Only Inboards

Good luck - Jim

Edited by MalibuNation
Welcome Yahoo.gif

Looks like a very nice and clean boat for it's age + the hours are low for a 95.

Price ... you are going to have to do some reseach on that ... besides here I'd go to:

Boat Trader

Only Inboards

Good luck - Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the reply... As for those sites I looked an couldn't find an Tantrums for sale.

Do you have a ballpark idea on what you think this boat is worth? I know boats value will depend on the location but still wanted to get an idea for I post what i will be paying.

New Upholstery (looks a bit custom?? anyone know?)

The only thing that is not custom is the engine box and drivers seat which looks like it was recovered. The rear and observers seat are custom, also the panels the speakers along the gunnels are mounted in are custom, good idea by the way.

Great boat, like a sports car on the water, wish we could have kept ours, sold it to a friend though and we get to play with it once in awhile. It can almost do a complete 360 in a "bat turn" I think I miss that boat more than our LSV.

Link to our Tantrum

Congrats...Good Luck with the new boat.

Happy to welcome another Oregonian to the Crew........we have a pretty good representation here I think.

Thanks yeah... I am from Medford (I also have a buddy who lives here with a WAKESETTER)

I have no idea if this is representative: another Tantrum

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/1064391098.html

The Tantrum has "low freeboard". So you must use it where there is really flat water not on a big open lake such as Lost Creek Lake.

Where do you plan to ski ? There are some good stretches on the Umpqua River but I am not familiar with the Rogue. Emigrant Lake gets drained early it seems.

I love to check out new rivers and lakes. Where do the "local knowledge" guys go for glass ?

BTW I love Medford in the spring. I ran the Pear Blossom Half Marathon and later the 10 miler for years. Behind Bend you live in a really great place in the world.

I have no idea if this is representative: another Tantrum

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/1064391098.html

The Tantrum has "low freeboard". So you must use it where there is really flat water not on a big open lake such as Lost Creek Lake.

Where do you plan to ski ? There are some good stretches on the Umpqua River but I am not familiar with the Rogue. Emigrant Lake gets drained early it seems.

I love to check out new rivers and lakes. Where do the "local knowledge" guys go for glass ?

BTW I love Medford in the spring. I ran the Pear Blossom Half Marathon and later the 10 miler for years. Behind Bend you live in a really great place in the world.

hmm... low freeboard.

What exactly does that mean for me? does the boat not handle well in deep water?

I would use it at Emmigrant most... (More lakes than rivers.) Lake of the woods would also get some time when camping.

i do want to make sure i can use it at lakes and not have to take it in the river.

Edited by Johnson8537

Freeboard:

= The distance from the waterline to the top of the gunwale.

So this means on a windy lake like Lost Creek that you will have water splashing over the hull into the boat.

Emigrant Lake is small enough that it may not be a factor although I have been there when it is windy. Maybe I caught it on a bad day as I've only been there twice.

I've never boated in the Grants Pass area but are there sections of the Rogue around there that are suitable ?

I installed a Humminbird 200DX fishfinder in my boat about 7 years ago. It has a 2-1/2" screen and shows the bottom and the water temperature. I love to explore new waterways. This device has allowed me to check out some very glassy rivers and lakes because I can cruise around and find the obstacles, if any, and ski some smooth water. Besides my Bimini Top this is one of the best boat accessories around. With it you can float the Rogue and Umpqua and ski stretches where there is less traffic than the big lakes.

Edited by DONTW8
Yeah,

$4K ? Grab it and run.

I would have guessed ~$8K

Thats what i thought... I had already put a down on it to hold it over night until i could get the rest of my CASH Liquid!

Going to pick it up after a test ride in an hour...

If memory serves the Tantrum hull is the same as the Sportster hull but the Sporty had a different upper half and interior. Great slalom course boat, I have a bud with a (I think) '94 Tantrum and it skis awsome. Don't know how good it would be for boarding but hard to beat for skiing.

For that kind of $$$ especially considering it's apparent condition I'd buy it myself, and I don't need another boat. Enjoy!

Ed

Looks like you got a hell of a deal as long as it runs great! Let me know how the test drive went. It's crazy it was snowing here today not too long ago and you were out test driving the boat:)

Brooks

Looks like you got a hell of a deal as long as it runs great! Let me know how the test drive went. It's crazy it was snowing here today not too long ago and you were out test driving the boat:)

Brooks

Well it ran and drove great!! Even in the cold SNOW!

Taking delivery in a few hours... (as soon as they get back from lunch.)

Thanks for the help everyone!

My first skiboat was a '96 Tantrum (I think they were made from '95 - '97) with the 265 hp Merc. Like the others have said, it was a great skiboat. It had great wakes and great acceleration (it only weighed 2100 lbs dry). You do have to watch out in rough water. We buried the nose once and took water over the windshield. It will also beat you to death if you run hard in rough water.

Overall, a great skiboat and a steal for $4k!

My first skiboat was a '96 Tantrum (I think they were made from '95 - '97) with the 265 hp Merc. Like the others have said, it was a great skiboat. It had great wakes and great acceleration (it only weighed 2100 lbs dry). You do have to watch out in rough water. We buried the nose once and took water over the windshield. It will also beat you to death if you run hard in rough water.

Thanks!! I hope it works well for us....

Where do you guys get your covers and what do you reccomend? Winter will be stored inside and summer outside (But Covered)

Edited by Johnson8537

Thanks!! I hope it works well for us.... if not I think we can sell it and upgrade with any money we make on this boat deal.

( I have a feeling I could get 6K for it fiarly easy when warm weather hits.)

Where do you guys get your covers and what do you reccomend? Winter will be stored inside and summer outside (But Covered)

If you are looking for a trailerable cover, I highly recomend Evolution Covers. I have one on my Response Lxi and it's great. Ranking makes a good cover too from what I've heard, but I have no personal experience with them. If you just want a mooring/storage cover, you could check with a local dealer or try an online company like Overton's.

Check, ebay I thought I saw a few Tantrum covers floating around awhile ago.

I wouldn't drop $800 for a Evolution or Rankin cover on a $4k boat, but that's just me.

-Chris

Your going to get a lot of recommendations for Evolution and Rankin, which are bother very nice, but I would be surprised if they have that pattern. I have been looking into various covers over the past 6 months, and I will need to pull the trigger by this summer.

My needs are for coverage from the sun, as my boat sits on a lift with a canopy with the stern taking the most sun, so full coverage with platform protection, (its teak) is high for me.

Right now I am between a westland and these guys,

skiboatcovers.com

they have a waterline mooring cover that looks really nice if sun protection is a need.

Check, ebay I thought I saw a few Tantrum covers floating around awhile ago.

I wouldn't drop $800 for a Evolution or Rankin cover on a $4k boat, but that's just me.

-Chris

I agree.... I can only find ONE cover on Ebay and then from skiboatcovers.com

I might just go down and get a generic cover (It will olny be used for Sun and Dust Protection.)

If i spend much more than 100 -200 I would like a cover that will allow for the Tower and also be trailerable if wanted.

You can buy a custom cover from overton's from various materials (naturally at various costs) Cheapest I saw was $280, but you will have to have a local canvas guy put in the holes for the tower mounts.

-Chris