Sign in to follow this  
RTS

Guage Fogging

RTS

When I was cleaning any waxing the boat getting ready for summer, I noticed a bit of fogging in the speedo. I remember on the old site someone talking about drilling some holes in the back of the gauges to alleviate this problem.

Anybody remember that process, and if so could you post it here for the benefit of myself and those that may have a similar problem.

Thanks

whiteVLX

It was as simple as you just said. The holes should be located at the bottom of the gauge. I wouldn't drill anything bigger than 1/8" however.

NorCaliBu

WhiteVLX - In the bottom of the guage body? Or in the bezel at the bottom?

whiteVLX

In the back of the gauge IIRC. If memory serves that's where they are in mine.

Ronnie

THE BACK!!! Remove the bezel and then the guage. Then drill a small hole (max 1/8") in the bottom of the guage back. You need the hole to let the moisture and temp in the air to equalize with the air in the guage itself. Drill it in the bottom making sure not to go in farther than the tip of the drill bit so you won't hit any of the parts inside the guage. GO SLOW...

tvano

depending on the type of plastic, the drilling may go smoother with the drill motor running in reverse.

Wkerat

Just do as ronnie said, but also watch the gauge face, make sure it is on a tower or something. I have seen people crack and scrach their gauges by laying them on work benches. I have also had a friend who drilled through the back and the middle as well so you could see the hole. You don't have to go that far.

BillFooter

There was also a certain spot to drill. I think it was the 9 o'clock position. Anyone rember?

Bill

jgouveia3

it is supposedly at the 5 o'clock position, according to this link on "the other" site Crazy.gif

Fogging Gauges

obski

I hadn't seen that thread before.

My gauges also will fog up sometimes. I had been worried that there was something wrong, so glad to find that there isn't anything to really worry about. I have plenty of other things to worry about. It does clear eventually and doesn't seem to affect the instruments. So if I read this correctly there is no harm to the gauges if I don't drill a little hole at the 5 o'clock position etc.? If not, I can live with it, just like I live with the fuel tank gauge.