Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

When is a new floor needed?

So after reading some threads on new flooring, I was wondering when one should be concerned about their boat's flooring, and how to determine if it's bad and needs to be replaced.

My 10 year old DD has some subtle bowing in the floors along the walkways on each side of the engine cover. It certainly doesn't seem weak or structurally concerning, but just slightly lower/bowed in between the side (gunwale) and the engine. I just attributed it to normal use, but I'm no expert. This boat only has 400hrs on it, and rarely carries any weight via sidesacs.

I assume a '98 has composite flooring.

Anyone have any info on it? Thanks.

Floor replacement isn't really a concern for modern era Malibu's (of which yours qualifies). Starting with the Echelon in 1993 Malibu has used composite flooring in every model they've made.

Those that are replacing the floor (and often stringers) in their boat's are doing so because the structural integrity of the wood floor has succumbed to dry rot, which can be unattractive and unsafe.

Don't worry about it on your boat, it's not a problem.

Not knowing the exact amount of bow or depression in the floor a bit hard to comment exactly, but, the Malibu Echelon / Response line does have a small problem with the floor that is actually covered under warranty. The midsection (next to engine) can sometimes slightly collapse due to a manufacturing issue with the composite floor / underlayment. I have seen a couple examples, one severe enough to warrent a floor replacement by the dealer.