Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

No factory front ballast a deal breaker?

jordan

Any comments on this boat less the front ballast tank? How much will no front ballast effect surf, wakeboard behind this model? Boat has the wake hall. Does anyone have any photos or video of the wake behind this boat with wake hall with no ballast and wedge up? I would like to open water slalom ski behind this also. What do you think of this boat/price? Thank you for the input! Jordan

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2006-MAL...er-VLX-94538110

If you're into slalom skiing, you should be looking for a boat with a diamond hull. That's what I have. The diamond shouldn't affect you too much at Wake speeds, it will just get the hull out of the water more at salom speeds.

As for the front ballast, mine didn't come with it either, and I will be adding a fat sac under the front seats. I wouldn't say it's not a problem of the ballast up there because you can always add a sac; the problem is loosing the storage. Is that something you can deal with?

Here are links to My photo bucket albums with some pics behind the 06 VLX diamond.

Skiing

Surfing

Sorry, but no boarding pics.

The one thing I didn't see on the boat you linked to was the number of hours. That will make a big difference on price. Aslo has it been salt water used?

Good luck

No front ballast would be a deal breaker for me on that boat. It needs it. Many times we'll fill it & leave it, just to deal with the bowrise, & the quality that it gives the wake (both boarding & surfing) makes it a very desirable option. If you buy the boat, you'll end up putting weight up there so you might as well hold out for one that's got the tank. JMO

Open water skiability is subjective, but most agree that this boat isn't good for even that. The bump/trough even at 36mph is huge. You need to be looking at a diamond hull if that's one of your goals. Again, JMO.

The most important ballast tank in a VLX is the front. While there are other methods such as adding a fat sac or lead are other options you'll be faced with doing something. When we looked it was a deal breaker, to be honest I don't know why anyone would order a VLX w/o it. Skiing behind a VLX isn't something I'd recommend unless you like to get airborn.

I now live in Az but spent alot of time on fox lake as a kid (1976-1982) and I remember a bar on that lake that was filled with puppets and when you played a song on the jukebox they all moved around. Is it still around or have you heard of this place? "The puppet bar" It might have been on Grass lake. Anyway Thank you for the advice and the photos! It looks like you can cut pretty hard on the ski without going airborn across the wake. Looks like you are 15' off on the rope? This boat has 179 hrs on in and they tell me no salt water.They also tell me that I will see very little diff between the wake and diamond hall for ski.I guess thats because they want to sell the boat!LOL I know this will be no direct drive wake eather way but the smile on your face when surfing says alot to me! I am currently skiing behind a I/O and It really sucks for ski as i would be flying if i dare hit that wake at full speed. How much room do you have in the bow without the front ballast? I've looked for photos of the bow without the cushions to see if my anchor/bumpers will fit. Thanks again! Jordan

If you're into slalom skiing, you should be looking for a boat with a diamond hull. That's what I have. The diamond shouldn't affect you too much at Wake speeds, it will just get the hull out of the water more at salom speeds.

As for the front ballast, mine didn't come with it either, and I will be adding a fat sac under the front seats. I wouldn't say it's not a problem of the ballast up there because you can always add a sac; the problem is loosing the storage. Is that something you can deal with?

Here are links to My photo bucket albums with some pics behind the 06 VLX diamond.

Skiing

Surfing

The one thing I didn't see on the boat you linked to was the number of hours. That will make a big difference on price. Aslo has it been salt water used?

Good luck

I now live in Az but spent alot of time on fox lake as a kid (1976-1982) and I remember a bar on that lake that was filled with puppets and when you played a song on the jukebox they all moved around. Is it still around or have you heard of this place? "The puppet bar" It might have been on Grass lake. Anyway Thank you for the advice and the photos! It looks like you can cut pretty hard on the ski without going airborn across the wake. Looks like you are 15' off on the rope? This boat has 179 hrs on in and they tell me no salt water.They also tell me that I will see very little diff between the wake and diamond hall for ski.I guess thats because they want to sell the boat!LOL I know this will be no direct drive wake eather way but the smile on your face when surfing says alot to me! I am currently skiing behind a I/O and It really sucks for ski as i would be flying if i dare hit that wake at full speed. How much room do you have in the bow without the front ballast? I've looked for photos of the bow without the cushions to see if my anchor/bumpers will fit. Thanks again! Jordan

Skiing

Surfing

Good luck

I don't know about the bar you're talking about, probably because I was born in 82. My mom might know. She and I are both lifers out there.

We just upgraded last year from a 18 foot 1969 outboard Stuery (some pictures on the same site), it is a night and day difference. Although I don't have anything better to compare it to. I've never been behind a DD.

The storage up front is not a ton, but enough for all 11 jackets and the front anchor. Now that we are putting in more ballast, we will need to relocate those things. I haven't fully ruled out the 1000# sac that goes on the seats

tn_Open-Bow_W706.jpg

rather than the under seat shape.

tn_Integrated-Bow_W711.jpg

We ski and surf with a little wakeboarding, and often wonder what boat to get.Which has a better surf wake?

What boats are you comparing? For your needs I'm tempted to suggest the VTX on a cut diamond hull, but I'm not sure of your budget or what models you're currently looking at.

I've got an 05 Wakesetter XTi with 175 hours on it that I will be selling in May (having kept and paid for it all winter I have to use it a little before I let it go). It's a DD with a wake hull and I think it's well rounded in that it can produce good wakes for all sports. Plus I like the seating configuration especially in a 21' length.