Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Third battery Question

Ok Im wanting to add a third battery to my existing batteries. The pic shows how I think it should be wired. The boat was already wired this way, the only thing different is I added battery 3 and hooked up pos to pos and neg to neg with battery 2. Is this correct? I have not hooked it up yet, I just got all the batteries in place ready to do so, but want to make sure Im right so I dont fry anything.

thirdbatteryhookup.jpg

Ok Im wanting to add a third battery to my existing batteries. The pic shows how I think it should be wired. The boat was already wired this way, the only thing different is I added battery 3 and hooked up pos to pos and neg to neg with battery 2. Is this correct? I have not hooked it up yet, I just got all the batteries in place ready to do so, but want to make sure Im right so I dont fry anything.

Idealy you need to isolate the 2 and 3 from each other as well. The weaker of the 2 will drain the other down and may cause a type of see saw effect were over time they will both drain down. The internal resistance of each battery in parallel will be presented as a load to the other one. Do a search for isolator on this site and you should find threads that talk about a neat automatic isolator. It will work the way you have it but it's not perfect. I would also add all of your stereo equipment grounds and powers to the amp bank. Hope this helps.

Edited by colobuskier

what i would change is move the pos. on batt 2 over to batt 3 , reason for this is you then draw from both batteries equally, leaving it like the drawing shows, amps all hooked to batt 2 will work ,however if batt3 ever has a failure(shorted cell,bad cel ect.) you will not no. because the power will be coming from batt 2 , thus battery power will not last as log as it should .

sorry not sure how to draw up a schematic on computer and insert on here. p/m me can can do more details over the phone

if that works for you

Thanks, I will do a search on the isolator. I dont understand your last statement "I would also add all of your stereo equipment grounds and powers to the amp bank" Could you explain that a little further please.

Like I said, the only thing different in this pic is I added battery 3 and hooked it parallel with battery 2. So Im not sure what you meant by your statement.

Also, would it matter about the 2 & 3 batteries drawing one or the other down like you said if they are both brand new and the same brand and type?

what i would change is move the pos. on batt 2 over to batt 3 , reason for this is you then draw from both batteries equally, leaving it like the drawing shows, amps all hooked to batt 2 will work ,however if batt3 ever has a failure(shorted cell,bad cel ect.) you will not no. because the power will be coming from batt 2 , thus battery power will not last as log as it should .

sorry not sure how to draw up a schematic on computer and insert on here. p/m me can can do more details over the phone

if that works for you

Do you mean take the pos from battery 2 that is going to the perko switch and making battery 3 pos going to perko and leave the rest like it is?

sorry, take the positive to the amps on batt 2 and move it over to batt3, this way the amps will draw from both batteries equally and should 1 of the batteries fail you will no right away (power supply does not last as long)

sorry, take the positive to the amps on batt 2 and move it over to batt3, this way the amps will draw from both batteries equally and should 1 of the batteries fail you will no right away (power supply does not last as long)

Ok Im with ya now :)

on my bu, i run four 6v batt. and one 12v batt in a series parallel configuration , there two completely seperate circuits (one to start, and second to power everything else ( 4amps, 2700 watt ac inverter ,need that for the blender lol, ) however when engine is running all batteries are charged . and just in case also have a honda generator on board , gotta love those cove parties , yee with the most batteries usually wins the sound off

I have three batteries on my boat and I do not feel that they are hooked up correctly. Ideally I want two of the batteries to power the radio equipment, while the third is by itself and can be used to start the boat if the other two are drained by the sound system. I have three amps as well. I also have a two battery perko switch. Is this the same idea you had?

My setup seems to drain all batteries no matter what the perko is set at. even in the off position my sounds system powers up. On my old boat with a single battery and a single perko switch, if I had the switch set to off nothing on the boat would power up.

Also, I am no electrician, but the orange lead that comes off of switch setting 1&2 goes to a fuse then a fuse block and then turns to Black? Is that correct?

yah , that black wire should not go to fuse box , however it was proberly ment to go to ground bar which on my bu is very close to the circuit breaker panel

I have three batteries on my boat and I do not feel that they are hooked up correctly. Ideally I want two of the batteries to power the radio equipment, while the third is by itself and can be used to start the boat if the other two are drained by the sound system. I have three amps as well. I also have a two battery perko switch. Is this the same idea you had? Yes

My setup seems to drain all batteries no matter what the perko is set at. even in the off position my sounds system powers up. On my old boat with a single battery and a single perko switch, if I had the switch set to off nothing on the boat would power up.

Also, I am no electrician, but the orange lead that comes off of switch setting 1&2 goes to a fuse then a fuse block and then turns to Black? Is that correct?

On mine it goes from 1&2 to a fuse, then to a fuse block then to the main box with all the fuses but is red, or orange, whatever color it is to begin with. I dont think I showed the second fuse box in the pic, but thats how it is. I spent quite a bit of time crawling around in there chasing all wires and drawing a diagram.

I have three batteries on my boat and I do not feel that they are hooked up correctly. Ideally I want two of the batteries to power the radio equipment, while the third is by itself and can be used to start the boat if the other two are drained by the sound system. I have three amps as well. I also have a two battery perko switch. Is this the same idea you had?

do you have your stereo(amps,deck,ect,)hooked up directly to your aux batteries(2) and your starter hooked direct to your starting battery.

in the same boat

going to add one or two more batteries for a total of four

going to add ACR relay probably 7610 blue sea

the 7610 chargeS only two batteries correct

for more, 3 to 4, do i have to add isolators to the other batteries?

battery one house

two house 2

three and four stereo ( amps )

want house two to be the back up

since while seating 1 3 4 will be running the stereo

1 head unit, eq

3,4 amps

Dontknow.gif