Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Negotiating a price?

DKidneyBean

I need help. I am close to making an offer on a used Malibu. Without giving away all the details of this boat, I want to ask about the negotiating tips you guys have used before with dealers? (i.e. offering at a certain percentage off the asking, leaving the dealership, extending the warranty timeframe, & talk tracks on why the dealer should make the deal right now in this economy). I am paying cash and it's a repo. Thanks.

It is winter and the economy is crashing...time in on your side. Make a reasonable, but low offer and see what happens. Keep shopping and adjust your offer accordingly.

Right now my local dealer is asking less for a new Response than I got mine for after a month of negotiating at the end of the season two years ago.

I wouldn't necessarily tell the dealer that you're paying cash. In the auto biz dealers will sometimes take a lower figure on the vehicle if they can make it back on the financing. Negotiate the price before discussing how the boat will be paid for.

I was a wholesale broker all of my life. Buying and selling commodities. So negotiating on new or used cars, boats, trailers, and real estate was normal for me as it parallelled my daily work.

What works best for me is preparation. Once I determined what vehicle or boat I wanted I shopped extensively to discover what was available within a certain radius. It used to be that Ebay was the best source. There are other obvious places to search such as boat trader, onlyinboards.com. The cheapest prices are on Craigslist. This requires you to do a search in each locality under "boats" with the search word "malibu" and check all of the locales. Here on the west coast there seem to be more malibus in "sfbay", "reno", sacramento, and so on. It is very time consuming but the rewards are worth it.

For instance: I was shopping for a response lx recently. Here are some results from Craigslist: All are Response LX:

2000, 120hrs, sfbay, $19000

1996, 343hrs, santacruz, $9700

2002, 528hrs, sacramento, $19500

2001, 420hrs, portland, $18,500

2001, 270hrs, sfbay, $16500

I've only listed the boats that really interested me due to location, hours, and color scheme. There were plenty other Response LX boats out there that I did not consider due to high hours, or funky tower, or because they were moored or stored outside and so forth. Still you can see there are price differences.

I have not bought another boat yet because of the current downturn in the stock market the last week or so.

Previously, once I located a vehicle I was interested in I printed out the sheet. When I visited the sellers I carried my printouts ( a thick bundle is intimidating) with me and this gave me credibility in negotiating.

I've bought 19 new cars, 12 used cars, and 8 boats in my lifetime. By being prepared I always dealt from a position of strength and this has saved me thousands of dollars each time.

This may be more work than you want to do. But it has worked for me.

Edited by DONTW8
I need help. I am close to making an offer on a used Malibu. Without giving away all the details of this boat, I want to ask about the negotiating tips you guys have used before with dealers? (i.e. offering at a certain percentage off the asking, leaving the dealership, extending the warranty timeframe, & talk tracks on why the dealer should make the deal right now in this economy). I am paying cash and it's a repo. Thanks.

If you plan on using them as your service dept. don't take advantage of them too much, it may turn around on you in the future. Times are hard right now and you'll be able to pretty much right your own contract within reason.

Welcome :)

As I just heard Dave Ramsey say, "If you paid what they asked, you paid too much. If they take your first offer, you paid too much. If your first offer doesn't make you feel embarrassed, you offered too much." :)

Your mileage may vary, but it's a buyers market 100% right now. Of course it's a buyers market.... I bought mine 1.5 years ago... Bah!