Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Wakesetter Based Design

JeffYo IWC

Hello all,

My name is Jeff Younger, and I'm a senior at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. As an industrial design major, we are assigned product design projects nearly monthly. Though since it is senior year, we are doing a semester long project. I have chosen to focus on a new wakeboard boat design based off a VLX hull. Currently, I am creating three theme boats based on:

Comfort/Luxury

Instruction/Safety/Storage

Interactivity/Sound/Lighting

After I've worked on these theme boats, I will combine the best aspects of them and create a working scale model of the new designed boat.

I will be uploading sketches and renderings very soon so keep your eyes pealed. Also, If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, I have an open mind to changing parts of my design.

Hello all,

My name is Jeff Younger, and I'm a senior at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. As an industrial design major, we are assigned product design projects nearly monthly. Though since it is senior year, we are doing a semester long project. I have chosen to focus on a new wakeboard boat design based off a VLX hull. Currently, I am creating three theme boats based on:

Comfort/Luxury

After I've worked on these theme boats, I will combine the best aspects of them and create a working scale model of the new designed boat.

I will be uploading sketches and renderings very soon so keep your eyes pealed. Also, If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, I have an open mind to changing parts of my design.

Sounds like a great project. Welcome to TMC. My suggestion is to search around a bit for a contact at the Malibu factory for some engineering input/advice. I think it would be good PR for them and a great resource for your project (read grade).

Hello all,

Comfort/Luxury

That sounds like a fun project, Good luck with it.

When I was in that area for a couple of months in 1990 everyone called it Champaign-Urbana Dontknow.gif

Jeff,

As a former ID student this Sounds like a cool project, keep in mind you have a pretty high bar set already with Malibu.

I reccomend doing a lot of research with users of this site, you should also be warned that if you stray to far some people on here may be mean so I would ask them to keep an open mind. You should post up some market research polls to go gather data on what features users find most important, I am sure many people on here will comment about what they liek and dislike.

Good luck with the project.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the welcome. I plan on scanning some early sketches tonight of some of my ideas and any suggestions or comments are welcome. I also am looking to begin some scale modeling, but before that I'll need to decide on a hull shape. Does anybody know where I can get some measurements of the boat? Or even the hull?