Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Boat Now or Wait

rex420

I'm trying to decide if I should get a new BU now or wait. I live on a lake and have 3 kids....6, 4 and 2. Right now we just have a tooner but my 5 year old has out grown tubing behind it. I'm trying to decide on whether to get a wakeboard boat now or wait a little bit longer until he's older and will be able to do more with it. The economy is the main driver in my decision to wait. However, because the economy is so bad there are a lot of good deals out there. Plus, I really want one. I'm defintely getting a BU....considering a 23 LSV.

Does anybody have any pros/cons of waiting or getting one now? I'm thinking the deal I could get now, outways waiting 2-3years. What age do most kids start wakeboarding? What about the 23 LSV?

We absolutely love our 23 LSV. It will be pretty big for wakeboarding for the kids, but it's something they can grow into. What I mean is that you can't make the wake small. All the girls riding behind our boat are very intimidated by the wake and often afraid of trying to go up or down it.

I'd say that today's market is completely a buyer's world. This year and next year are going to be the time to buy IMO with the state of the economy.

Edited by CrazyTegger
I'm trying to decide if I should get a new BU now or wait. I live on a lake and have 3 kids....6, 4 and 2. Right now we just have a tooner but my 5 year old has out grown tubing behind it. I'm trying to decide on whether to get a wakeboard boat now or wait a little bit longer until he's older and will be able to do more with it. The economy is the main driver in my decision to wait. However, because the economy is so bad there are a lot of good deals out there. Plus, I really want one. I'm defintely getting a BU....considering a 23 LSV.

Does anybody have any pros/cons of waiting or getting one now? I'm thinking the deal I could get now, outways waiting 2-3years. What age do most kids start wakeboarding? What about the 23 LSV?

I sell Malibu in South Carolina. No gators by the way! I always advise people that ask me when the best time to sell or buy that the best time is when you are ready. If you are ready...go for it!!!

Edited by skijcsports

I work with a guy who has 5 kids and has been talking about a boat for way to many years and still has nothing. He is waiting for just the right deal at just the right time; kids grow up and time moves on. You know what is right for you, finances included, based on your childrens ages I'd say your timing is perfect. Your profile indicates an 08 LSV have you not considered something smaller like the VTX or VLX.

Edited by Kingfish

Buy now or within the next 2 months if you have job security, this is the best time of the year because you'll be ready when summer comes.

Welcome to TMC Thumbup.gif

If you have job security or funding then buying now is a great idea. My son started wakeboarding a 6 and his sister started 5 minutes later and she was 5. Now not all kids are the same, as my youngest is now 7 and still has no interest in trying. Ours started out Tubing, went to a zip sled, then to a kneeboard and then the wakeboard. So even if they can't wakeboard they can do a bunch of other things.

Good Luck.

We have a 08 23 lsv. My kids range from 20 yrs to 2 yrs. and everyone gets something out of it. The boat is nice size for smaller kids because they can hang in their section without the bigger kids smacking them with boards ect. I do have to remind the 20 and the 15 yr. old keep the music down at times. KIDS!!

-Personal opinion- Now, lots of inventory, great incentives, and spending money right now is what we need to do try and help keep this economy going.

-Paul

If some on here are correct--and they very well may be--hyper-inflation will kick in and your money will be worthless next year anyway, so you might as well spend it on a boat now. Cheers.gif

And, as Warren Miller says, if you wait until next year to do something you want to do, you will be be a year older when you do it.

If I lived on a lake, had three young kids, and believed that I'd eventually purchase a watersports-specific boat,

I'd definitely be in the market now, provided that your financial situation is on solid ground. There are some

phenomenal deals out there right now.

As to the 23 LSV, it depends on how many people you think that you will typically have on the boat. That's a great

boat, and perfect if you need or want the extra space. But, the VLX is also a great boat, with a pretty generous

occupancy rating, that can still do it all, and for less money. Plus, maybe a little more maneuverable, easier

to trailer, and needs less slip depth and boat-lift capacity. Worth a look.

I was in the same predicament last summer and a new 07 23xti fell in our lap and we went for it. We have 3 kids and love the boat, the xti layout works for us. Buy now and take a few months before summer to get comfortable with it. Good luck.

If you have job security or funding then buying now is a great idea. My son started wakeboarding a 6 and his sister started 5 minutes later and she was 5. Now not all kids are the same, as my youngest is now 7 and still has no interest in trying. Ours started out Tubing, went to a zip sled, then to a kneeboard and then the wakeboard. So even if they can't wakeboard they can do a bunch of other things. Good Luck.

Plus1.gif

We towed my daughter in a tube when she was 2. We would just idle along and she thought it was great. She skied her first time at 5 (kind of) and for real last summer when she was 6. My son also started tubing at a young age, progressed to combo and now wakeboards.

As long as you can afford the boat BUY IT!!! You can never replace family time on a boat or just family time. I think that you will find your kids will want to bring the friends. Which is a good thing that way you know what is going on with your kids. IE they are not getting into trouble.

When I was 16 my dad gave me the keys to the boat and the truck. With one stipulation(sp) that I was to stay out of trouble the first time I got in trouble it was all his. I never had to give it back. Rockon.gifRockon.gif