Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gasolne additive to clean fuel injectors

My boat always runs a little rough everytime I take it out and latter runs great. I was thinking about adding a fuel additive to clean the fuel injectors. What are your thoughts?

I run 1 full can of seafoam in a FULL tank of new 93 fuel in our boat a year. I have used a bunch of cleaners in the past on my cars and trucks as well as customer cars and trucks and the one that does the best for me is the seafoam. GM top engine cleaner is the next best, but it is the same as the seafoam for twice the price.

My boat always runs a little rough everytime I take it out and latter runs great. I was thinking about adding a fuel additive to clean the fuel injectors. What are your thoughts?

Sea Foam is not a bad additive.

I normally run a couple bottles of the Chevron stuff every 3 or 4 tanks. I use the Sea Foam a couple times a summer, especially through the crankcase before an oil change.

Sta-bil claims to contain fuel injector cleaner, among other things. Don't know if it is 'potent' enough to solve your need to use an injector cleaner, but may be a good starrting point.

Guess maybe I should run some, but I never have. Don't suppose the Marine environment is much different on injectors than in autos. Dontknow.gif

I normally run a couple bottles of the Chevron stuff every 3 or 4 tanks. I use the Sea Foam a couple times a summer, especially through the crankcase before an oil change.

Funny, I asked specifically about the use of Techron ("the Chevron stuff") last summer here. The concensus was that a) I should RTFM, and B) it would be a total waste of money.

FWIW, my [2006] Indmar Operator's Manual states (pg. xi): "The only additive that is recommended by Indmar for use in your engine is Sta-Bil brand fuel stabilizer."

Edited by srab

I to have run the chevron techron in my old boat and plan to use it in my malibu as well. Every other oil change I use it in my truck as well, I am a mechanic and normaly don't belive in the medic in a bottle but imo the stuff works

chevron is the best gas out there

stay away from shell like the plague

I have seen boat motors run like crap on shell!!

I'm not a fan of additives, what it comes down to is use the boat and change filter and add a water separator if you do not, nothing like a cup of water will ruin your whole boating day!

seems to me the manual recommends "top tier" gasolines.

From the Top Tier website:

Why TOP TIER

The intention of the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards is to create a winning situation for gasoline retailers, auto manufacturers and drivers. Currently, many gasoline retailers provide fuels with lower-quality additive packages that can build up deposits on fuel injectors and on intake valves. Others can build up deposits in combustion chambers and may lead to intake valve sticking. These lower levels of additives can have negative impacts on engine performance and vehicle responsiveness.

Top Tier retailers:

QuikTrip

Chevron

Texaco

MFA Oil Co.

Conoco

Phillips 66

Entec Stations

Shell

The Somerset Refinery, Inc.

Kwik Trip / Kwik Star

Aloha Petroleum

Tri-Par Oil Co.

Turkey Hill Minit Markets

Mileage Stations

Chevron Canada

Shell Canada

Petro-Canada

Sunoco Canada

Funny, I asked specifically about the use of Techron ("the Chevron stuff") last summer here. The concensus was that a) I should RTFM, and B) it would be a total waste of money.

FWIW, my [2006] Indmar Operator's Manual states (pg. xi): "The only additive that is recommended by Indmar for use in your engine is Sta-Bil brand fuel stabilizer."

Maybe, but from personal experience 1 bottle of it in a low fuel tank has unstuck the injectors in my truck (350 ci) a few times.

Ya still, TOP TIER this BS! You can blame the EPA for this BS stuff here

go smell shell gas and smell chevron

shell has a diesel hint to it!

Only 3 refiners that make gas, then the other guys add what they want to it

most is made in TX and CA

go back 7 years, only was like 3 companies that were top tier, shell was not

76,chevron,BP only!!!

I used to be a mechanic and I don't run any type of cleaner in any of my (several) vehicles.

I run 87 octane in my Ducati that I take to the track. Go figure.

Like the above, the gas is all the same until the different companies add their additives. I run chevron cleaner in the cars, but never tried in the Bu. I just have used fuel stabil and I've never run into any problems. I'll keep doing what works for me until I feel otherwise.

I used to be a mechanic and I don't run any type of cleaner in any of my (several) vehicles.

I run 87 octane in my Ducati that I take to the track. Go figure.

Plus1.gif

Good oil and filters fuel that does not allow knock and regular maintenance and they run forever. Fuel smell comes more from the crude it is refined from and additives

I have no problems with Shell fuel I have been running it for over 30 years never had a fuel related problem yet.

Plus1.gif

Good oil and filters fuel that does not allow knock and regular maintenance and they run forever. Fuel smell comes more from the crude it is refined from and additives

I have no problems with Shell fuel I have been running it for over 30 years never had a fuel related problem yet.

tell that to guys with Johnson/evinrude motors in the late 80's early 90's

they will laugh at ya

every gas problem i have dealt with is usually water, old gas or from shell, sounds wired but true

next fueling issue i will ask for there receipts if shell

My party barge is a toon with a 70HP Evinrude. I did replace the voltage reg but no other problems. You may have a bad station or people who don't care for there boats I don't see shell fuel having a problem.

All gasolines already have injector cleaner and valve decarbiniser in them. The large name brands, a pinch more. It is required by federal regulations.

I usually run BP or Exxon and have had no problems in the boat. Had some problems with Exxon/Mobils Diesel in the truck but that is another story unrelated to boating.

• 1 month later...

A few years ago when I skied religously, I mixed 100LL aviation fuel with 93 oct. (50/50) in my tank and it ran like a dream. I need to use some seafoam to clean out the hoses and carb. I haven't boarded or skied in awhile. :(