Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Coble Ski School

Guest GalaxyToad

Guest GalaxyToad

I just came back from a week at The Coble Ski School. I know I’m not the only one living with “Adult ADD” so I’m going to try to keep this short and to the point.

If you’re expecting 5 star accommodations and cruise ship food you’re in the wrong place.

If you are real serious about getting better, this is the school for you.

I am physically destroyed, a lot smarter (I know, I know, can’t get much dumber. Wife unit said the same thing) I left there a much better skier and kind of guilty that I only paid $650 for all that.

The cabin we stayed in was comfortable, basic, and right on the lake we trained on. The food was well suited to the training regiment, basic, and all I could eat.

The week confirmed what I already knew about people who ski. They are the nicest most genuine people on the planet.

April, her husband Chris, and her entire family greet 40 new people every week and you would never know it. You are treated as if you are the only reason they’re there.

They employ an impressive group of instructors from every discipline. Truly skiing people, and completely devoid of attitude. If you have trouble taking instruction from someone younger than you, don’t go. They range in age from about 16-28yrs old and chances are they’ll all ski circles around you so it’s best to listen and try to hit as many of them as you can.

Every time I saw April (several times a day) she specifically asked how I was progressing. On the morning of the second day I told her about the previous day’s last set. 6 passes all with the same result. I was heading back to the platform for my second morning set. She dropped what she was doing, walked on the boat, the instructor instinctively stepped off the boat, and we skied a set. That is the way she runs that camp. Those 15 minutes with her were worth the entire price of admission. 1 major yard sale on 5 ball followed by 7 clean passes through the course and a huge crash at the exit gate. She likes to work with people who give everything they have on every set. We got along great. Don’t be surprised if she pops up off the seat and jumps up on the transom while the boat is still going 32mph just as you get through the exit gate to either tell you something that ‘just can’t wait’ or to hoot and holler because you did something good.

On the third day I discovered the wing on my fin was pulling my fin out of the ski a little more every pass. She caught me walking (ski in hand) from lake 3 back to the lake 1/2 pavilion in search of some assistance. I’m not really ‘fin-literate’, but Chris Eller is, and just as approachable as April. Again she dropped what she was doing, we found Chris, he got out his gauges and mics and gave me the bachelor’s course in fin/wing on the spot. He was never in a hurry and stayed on it until I understood completely.

Twice while I was there she drove up in her golf cart, walked into the boat house, grabbed her gear and said, “I’m going to ski, do you want to ride along?” That, ladies and gentleman, is the rhetorical question of the century. I watched her run 28, 32, 35, 38 and get around 5 ball at 39.5’ off. She is a technician. Awesome to watch and always accessible while you train.

I skied the full program (not everyone did), 4 sets a day for 4 days. Ya, it sounds easy until you drag your carcass out of bed on the 3rd morning. I destroyed 2 pair of gloves, learned some of the finer points of duct tape and loved every minute of it.

Second set, forth day, April comes up in her cart, takes a look around and decides she has time for some coaching before she takes her training sets. I happen to be standing there. “When are you up?” I told her I was next on lake 1. “Good, I want to go.” She remembered every single thing I had done wrong from the previous days, keep in mind I’m one of 40, we had a great set, she then jumped out of the boat, over to the lake 2 platform and coached my ski buddy (aka Hoover) through a set before taking her own.

April Coble-Eller is at the top of her game and will clear 39.5 very soon. That girl is on fire, constantly moving, and always treats you as if you really are part of her family. She administers the best ski camp anywhere and is always trying to improve it.

I’ve already reserved a week next year.

Edited by GalaxyToad

Great report. My wife and I went to Bennetts in 03 and had a great time. The instruction wasn't that great, but the overall experience was amazing. We didn't know how to slalom well at all, and the sad thing is, I didn't learn how to cross the wake "hard" until last summer, on my own. I wish they would have taught us that very basic item but maybe they were more geared towards experienced course skiers. I felt like I had "no place" at Bennetts because I couldn't ski the course at all, and for that matter didn't have fundamental slalom techniques down at the time. We just got generic tips- hips up, chest out, etc. and made no progress all week. What DO I like about it is the accommodations right on the lake, but if coble does that as well, that's great. The poorer instruction might have had something to do with being there with the UCLA and UofI ski teams and the teachers being distracted by the hot coeds in the group. I can guarantee that they were nursing some sizable hangovers from long nights at LSU some of the mornings- can't blame them. There was blantent mingling and interaction between certain students and staff... This review makes me want to try Coble instead of Bennett's next... but Bennetts was still great so don't count them out.

Edited by M3Fan

Great report GT. I have signed up for just a single day at Coble's the last week in Sept. as I will be down in Southport visiting family for a week.

Now you've really got me looking forward to it.

Glad you had a great time (knew you would). That sounds like the exact same treatment we received there earlier this year. We went for a single day last year, and had booked the whole week this year before we left. I plan on going back next year, too. And, the lakes! They run ten lakes, each one nicer than the last.

Link to Cobles

GalaxyToad,

That trip would be a great idea, only my best month would be May or Sept. I am sure 20 guys would have different months. Keep me posted!

Cheers

Reggie

Their policy for cancellation (I think) is 2 weeks in advance, gotta recheck that.

According to their website you can cancel whenever you want....you just can't have your $200 deposit back. Crazy.gif

From their site:

A non-refundable deposit of $200 per week per person is required to confirm a reservation.

A group gig sounds like a blast. I'll have to watch airfares, that's what could nail me coming from Cali. :(

Their policy for cancellation (I think) is 2 weeks in advance, gotta recheck that.

According to their website you can cancel whenever you want....you just can't have your $200 deposit back. Crazy.gif

From their site:

A non-refundable deposit of $200 per week per person is required to confirm a reservation.

A group gig sounds like a blast. I'll have to watch airfares, that's what could nail me coming from Cali. :(

Mike,

I hope they're ready for you? :)

Great idea, GT! I've been kinda tossing the same idea around in my head only in the February-March timeframe. I was figuring it would be a good way to break up that mid-winter crankiness we all seem to experience, and at the same time be able to put faces with the avatars.

My struggle was that I'm in no where near the shape I need to be to start skiing four sets a day at that point of the year. I'd end up spending most of my time sitting on the dock drinkin' and watching... Hey wait a minute, was I talking about the negatives or the positives? Biggrin.gif

Anyway, I do like the idea of an August (even September) trip. This is about the time of year I feel like I've hit a plateau (wall?), and this would be a good way to get fired up again!