Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Charleston, South Carolina Boarding??

bump78063

Just moved to Charleston South Carolina and i have no ideal where to go take the boat out to do some wakeboarding!! Can anyone help me out??

:unsure:

Check out the cooper river up around Moncks Corner. If you put in at the public ramp in Moncks, you can drive under the tresells and up the river into the channels that will lift you up into lake Moultrie. You are 85 (I think) miles up river from Charleston Harbor and the further you go toward the lake the better the riding gets. Under the river is all old rice patties so the water stays calm. Just make sure you take someone who knows the bouys on the river so you stay out of the shallow stuff. Also, there are some pretty big gators swimming around, but they typically don't bother you. :Doh:Shocking.gif

My parents live on the cooper river, so next time I am up I will give you a shout and I can take you out and show you some good spots. Cheers.gif

BTW, Welcome to the Crew!!! Welcome.gif

Edited by JBuck

OK, I'll bite.

You're just trying to scare the Yankee transplant with the "pretty big gators" comment are you not ? Yahoo.gif

BTW my favorite cousin is J. Buck out in beautiful downtown Chapel Hill.

Edited by DONTW8
OK, I'll bite.

You're just trying to scare the Yankee transplant with the "pretty big gators" comment are you not ? Yahoo.gif

Now why would you think something like that??? Innocent.gif

Don't know J. Buck in Chapel Hill but I like your cousin's style.

OK, I'll bite.

Hate to admit it worked. I have been considering applying for a job in Greenville, SC. I know nothing about the area, but saw a bunch of great looking lakes around and warmer weather. After reading your post I sent my wife an email that 'I'm not applying.'

OK, I'll bite.

Hate to admit it worked. I have been considering applying for a job in Greenville, SC. I know nothing about the area, but saw a bunch of great looking lakes around and warmer weather. After reading your post I sent my wife an email that 'I'm not applying.'

Greenville is a nice place also. Has a very small town feel to it. I like it there and its only about 2-1/2 hrs or so from Charleston and the coast. I love South Carolina in general, but I guess I am a little partial since I grew up there...

There are lots of great lakes and rivers to ride on in the state no matter what city you live in. I am actually trying to move back to Charleston once a decent job with my company opens up there.

I lived down in the Charleston area for a few years, my in-laws still do. (Yonges Island, just south of town) And yes, there are gators down there but none has ever bothered our skiing or boarding. We have moved to another place to play a few times though when a gator was spotted near by.

Down there on those rivers watch out for shoals and oyster banks, etc. Also be careful about getting down close to the salt water. Be sure to flush well or better yet have closed loop cooling.

Edited by Beau
OK, I'll bite.

Chapel Hill is a great place although in a different state than Charleston, SC. Maybe 5 hours away??

Been to Charleston many times, Hilton Head, Beaufort, etc. Nice places, but very coastal area (salt water, brackish water) and I didn't see many fresh water lakes near those areas. Are there large fresh water lakes close to that area (e.g. within a short drive)?

OK, I'll bite.

Greenville, sc has no gators lol, they are all in the lower part of the state. Lake keowee and Jocassee are 2 awsome clear lakes with lots to do on them

OK, I'll bite.

Chapel Hill is a great place although in a different state than Charleston, SC. Maybe 5 hours away??

Been to Charleston many times, Hilton Head, Beaufort, etc. Nice places, but very coastal area (salt water, brackish water) and I didn't see many fresh water lakes near those areas. Are there large fresh water lakes close to that area (e.g. within a short drive)?

The further you go up the Cooper River the less brackish it gets. Around Moncks Corner the water is not too bad. Lake Moultrie is not brackish at all, the main issue on the north end of the river and on the lake is you still get some of the salt/sea air which speeds up the corrosion process. My dad has a fishing boat with a tuna tower and he cleans the tower with steel wool and WD-40 twice a year.

I grew up in Sumter. It's something I typically don't brag about but....

We always hung out at Lake Wateree. It is about a 2.5 hour drive north and there aren't any gators, just water moccasins.

If we didn't have enough gas money to get to the lake, we would go knee boarding in an old mill house pond. However, ride at your own risk, they are full of gators.

Lake Marion and Lake Moultrie are your best bets.

Definitely stay out of the north end of Santee, it's scary up in those swamps.

No.gif

I grew up in Sumter. It's something I typically don't brag about but....

We always hung out at Lake Wateree. It is about a 2.5 hour drive north and there aren't any gators, just water moccasins.

If we didn't have enough gas money to get to the lake, we would go knee boarding in an old mill house pond. However, ride at your own risk, they are full of gators.

Lake Marion and Lake Moultrie are your best bets.

Definitely stay out of the north end of Santee, it's scary up in those swamps.

No.gif

I lived in Sumter Sc. for awhile.

I remember going to some big lakes in the area, partying on an island. We rented a mobile home on the lake one weekend, I don't remember much accept waking up on the floor. I do remember that it was a very nice lake.