Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Storage

Romi

I have stored every boat I have owned in my garage. I currently own a tandem garage which fits my LSV just fine. I have just sold this house and the house we bought is a 3 car but not long enough to fit the boat straight in.

We do 95% of our boating our in Needles or Lake Mohave, which is about 250 miles from us. So with gas prices the way they are and the garage situation, we decided to store the boat out in Needles.

It is indoor storage but not climate controlled. It does get really hot out there but it is usually really dry. Should I worry about the heat effecting the condition of the boat or engine?

I can't think of how that would have any ill effect on the engine, as long as you are getting it out and using it. Now the vinyl... it's dry, so mold is not an issue. It's covered, so UV should not be a factor. I would think that just keeping the vinyl supplied with 303 should be all that is needed.

How often will you get to use the boat? Boy 250 miles sure seems like a long distance to keep your boat. Any worries about separation anxiety being that far apart?

Jeremy - Are you using the same place I used? If so, I had no issues with my old Calabria. It did get quite dusty in there so make sure you put the cover on the boat during storage. I also removed everything from the ski locker so the carpet would dry out. Additionally, I always removed the seats (but kept them in the boat) so they would dry out too. I also used to place some fabric softeners in the boat to keep mice from causing damage. I never had an issue.

You may want to purchase some storage bins so you can place your gear in them so critters don't get to them either. Also buy a broom and keep it there so you can sweep out the space after you pick up the boat to use for the weekend...by sweeping the storage space out when you pick it up, it allows the agitated dust to settle by the time you bring it back. Sometimes I would bring my leaf blower.

You'll like driving out there without pulling the boat. It's much faster and easier on your truck, trailer and boat.

Rob

edit. I agree with obski...treat the vinyl and you will be fine.

edit 2- make sure you disconnect the batteries or make sure all the lights and electrical equip is off...I returned to a dead battery once.

Edited by FijiRob
How often will you get to use the boat? 

I would say 8-10 times a year.

Any worries about separation anxiety being that far apart?

Let me tell you separation anxiety will be there. But when FijiRob had his boat out there it was a lot easier to get there and get the boat out. Backing a LSV in a 3 car garage with a 7 foot door opening is a pain in the a**. Not to mention that I have break down the tower, take the swim step off, and remove the trailer guides.

Jeremy - Are you using the same place I used?

Yes... you sold me on it. Plus they have 24 hour access now.

I also used to place some fabric softeners in the boat to keep mice from causing damage.  I never had an issue.

You never had a problem with them... Remember the rat that got into my Nautique? Mad.gif

You may want to purchase some storage bins so you can place your gear in them so critters don't get to them either.  Also buy a broom and keep it there so you can sweep out the space after you pick up the boat to use for the weekend...by sweeping the storage space out when you pick it up, it allows the agitated dust to settle by the time you bring it back.  Sometimes I would bring my leaf blower.

Those are good tips. The blower seems to be the best way to clean that out. I was thinking to get trash cans for the stuff inside the boat. Any suggestions for 5 wakeboards and wakesurfboard?

You'll like driving out there without pulling the boat.  It's much faster and easier on your truck, trailer and boat.

No doubt there... Its such a pain in the a**. Plus I will get there an hour faster.

edit.  I agree with obski...treat the vinyl and you will be fine.

303 is great stuff

edit 2- make sure you disconnect the batteries...I returned to a dead battery once.

Do you guys think shutting the isolator switch off will do just fine?

It is indoor storage but not climate controlled.  It does get really hot out there but it is usually really dry.  Should I worry about the heat effecting the condition of the boat or engine?

If it did, my 2000 Lsv wouldn't look like a 2005. :) my storage in Central Cal is usually about 108 this time of the year in the day time.