Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Verify Engine

mcbean7

Hi All,

Can you look at a pic and tell if it's the 320 LCR motor vs. the 340 Monsoon motor? If so, how?

I am looking at a boat and don't know if the seller knows what he's talking about. He says it's a 320 Monsoon motor...huh?

Also, how do you post pics on here? I see the little icon that says "insert image" but when I click on this it asks for a URL for this image?

Thanks.

My boat has the Hammerhead 365. When you open the hood it looks just like a Monsoon. There is a bar code tag on mine that says it is a Hammerhead. I'll bet there is a tag on the one you are looking at somewhere.

what year is the boat? there is such a thing as a 320 monsoon (and a 325, and a 340 and ...)

To post the image, cut and paste the url in to that box that pops up, or enclose the link you have within the IMG tag within the body of the message.

The monsoon motor has changed multiple times since 1996 when it first came out, it was 320 HP back in 96-97 here is some info to help:

Monsoon 1 - 96-97 Motor painted gray with blue anodized metal fuel rails - 320 HP

Monsoon 2 - 98-02 Carbon Fiber (fake) spark arrestor cover -325 HP

Monsoon 3 - 2003 First year of the full metal plenum intake & K&N air filter- 335 HP

Monsoon 4 - 2004-8" " and first year of the ETX Exhaust manifold - 340 HP

Monsoon 5 - 2009 New ECM Controller, Cat Exhaust standard - 350 HP

LCR Engine - 04-09 Spark arrestor underneath plastic cover with LCR badging. 320 HP

All the motors have badging that will describe what it is, especially the engines with the full metal plenum intake. They have a billet emblem with laser etched info on it.

To post pictures you have to go right below your text reply box, click on browse, select filed, click open, click upload, then right above that you can go to the manage current attachments drop down and "insert image" sometimes you have to re-size images (make them smaller) in order to upload if they are too big it won't allow you to upload them.

Best of luck finding a Malibu! Glad to help if you have any questions and if you post a photo i should be able to tell you what it is no problem.

Good luck!

-Paul

Hi All,

Can you look at a pic and tell if it's the 320 LCR motor vs. the 340 Monsoon motor? If so, how?

I am looking at a boat and don't know if the seller knows what he's talking about. He says it's a 320 Monsoon motor...huh?

Also, how do you post pics on here? I see the little icon that says "insert image" but when I click on this it asks for a URL for this image?

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply guys. I'm still working on getting a pic up.

The boat is an 06 VLX.

Paul,

All I see under the "text reply" box is this- left hand side "Toggle Side Panel", right hand side "BB Code Help". I don't see a button that says "browse".

Supporting members can upload images directly from their computer. Non-supporting members will have to post the picture elsewhere (photobucket.com) and link them to our site.

Ah...Thanks Ronnie. I'll try photobucket to see if I can do it.

the chrome badge on the top of the picture says "340 monsoon" But you can also tell that the K&N Air filter is at the bottom, and the whole black plenum is aluminum, not a plastic cover like the LCR has

it's easy. That intake plenum is what gave the Monsoon the HP Bump in 2003 to 335. Then they went to the new one piece exhaust manifolds in '04 which gave it 340hp.

this engine has the one piece exhaust

this engine has the new intake plenum

this is a monsoon 340