Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Push Button Start Pros/Cons

aylor11

Everyone, hopefully you can answer some questions concerning whether or not to get the push button start. I have just a couple questions to compare that to the standard key start.

1. Does anyone think this could be hazard if needing to start the boat in a hurry of having to enter a 4 digit key code versus just turning a key?

2. I heard that w/the push button that after 30 minutes the system shuts off and shuts the malivue off (having to re enter the 4 digit code again), does the regular key start do this as well or is the regular key ignition like a vehicle where you can turn it part way to keep the electrical system running?

3. Do you think the push button will be reliable?

Sorry for what might seem like remedial questons but curious. Thanks.

I know that if it stops working and needs to be replaced it will cost a whole lot more then a key.... While inside the warranty period having it replaced is just inconvenient, doing the same thing out of warranty is hugely expensive. I think the nautique version is $600 vs the $12 key set....

My Aquatrax has the code and push button option. I hate it. There are times in a boat you need to go NOW. I like the simplicity of a key.

I was at the dealership in the begining of the year and they had just returned from the lake with a brand new 2009 VLX w/push button start. They had a problem with it on the water and had to bypass it somehow while they were on the lake.

Im sure it was something minor and not a big deal but our new Bu will have a good ol key.

Do you have to enter the code on every start, or does one enty last for an entire ski session.

If it is an every time thing, wouldn't you have to give all the drivers the combo? Once the combo becomes 'public' then anyone can take your boat anytime, right?

I know that if it stops working and needs to be replaced it will cost a whole lot more then a key.... While inside the warranty period having it replaced is just inconvenient, doing the same thing out of warranty is hugely expensive. I think the nautique version is $600 vs the $12 key set....

Plus1.gif

Do you have to enter the code on every start, or does one enty last for an entire ski session.

If it is an every time thing, wouldn't you have to give all the drivers the combo? Once the combo becomes 'public' then anyone can take your boat anytime, right?

If its like the nautiques, you enter it once, to "unlock" it, then just push to start/stop as many times as you want. Then you lock it again when you are done.

I really like them, but won't jump through hoops to add one to my malibu.

I went with the key..... just seemed more reliable. I really dont like chancing anything when im stuck on a body of water.

Not saying I dont trust my bu. But I dont want to add any unessential steps to starting my boat.

Edited by Calexan
I went with the key..... just seemed more reliable. I really dont like chancing anything when im stuck on a body of water.

Not saying I dont trust my bu. But I dont want to add any unessential steps to starting my boat.

As much as I enjoy push button and think it's a cool feature, there's some peace of mind by choosing when to cut the starter as its cranking over, rather than having a time-based system.

As much as I enjoy push button and think it's a cool feature, there's some peace of mind by choosing when to cut the starter as its cranking over, rather than having a time-based system.

The nautique one i have used (01 nautique) was not time based. To unlock, you punched your code, then start. Then the next time you hit start, it turned on teh ign, and cranked as long as you held the button. I had a starting issue with teh boat where i ahd to crank for long periods of time, and it just cranked as long as i held hte button. Just like a key.

The nautique one i have used (01 nautique) was not time based. To unlock, you punched your code, then start. Then the next time you hit start, it turned on teh ign, and cranked as long as you held the button. I had a starting issue with teh boat where i ahd to crank for long periods of time, and it just cranked as long as i held hte button. Just like a key.

Ahh. Well then go push button