Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel/Water Separator

Fuel/Water Separator

Does anyone use or have one.. I have an 05 RLXI and don't believe it has one.. my buddies mastercraft came with one.. Any big advantages??

jeff

Fuel/Water Separator

Does anyone use or have one.. I have an 05 RLXI and don't believe it has one.. my buddies mastercraft came with one.. Any big advantages??

jeff

yes it does help keep the h2o out of the engine i pu one on my 07 v-ride

comes with them are mercruisers and PCM's, newer models

INDMAR uses that little inline filter which is good for particles not water

I recommend them for all boaters

This exact topic was discussed in detail back at the beginning of the year, I asked the same question about my recently purchased '05 RLXI. Go to this link (don't know how to add the link without all of the title, sorry) "http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18514&hl=water+seperator" to read the discussion. I was convinced that it's not necessary nor a good idea but you can reach your own conclusion.

Ed

I don't have an in-line filter, and for something that costs about $8 and can be swapped out in less that 5 minutes..........it's a no brainer.

You should have an inline filter in a 04 Response LXI....

The reason to get an inline water/fuel separator are if you have to buy 10% ethanol fuel. E10 gas is mandated here in Oregon. E10 fuel picks up moisture especially in higher humidity environments such as western Oregon and maybe Tennessee.

I ordered a fuel/water separator online and installed it on my boat.

Several years ago I had installed an additionial generic inline fuel filter in my fuel line at an accessible spot. I removed that additional filter and using extra hoses I installed a fuel water separator. The fuel/water separator has it's own bracket and a spin on type filter that somewhat resembles an oil filter installation. There is new demand for these separators and are available at marine stores and online.

The Ethanol fuel is the issue. If that is the only fuel available to you it is in your best interest to install a water separator. If water builds up in your fuel it will cause your engine to stop running according to the Oregon State Marine Board. They sent out a flyer to all Oregon licensed boaters warning us of that issue. I used my fuel/water separator last summer with no issues.

You should have an inline filter in a 04 Response LXI....

Nope. I have a Mercruiser Towsports engine. Only has the water separator canister on the block. Winterization for it is a breeze, changing the impeller is a major PITA.

Edited by skistud1

My 94 MC 205 with the Indmar/Chevy TBI 350 had the canister water separator on it like a diesel engine. It was easy enough to replace & I could get them from any local Napa for a few bucks.

The question I have is, why is Indmar not installing them any more? Isn't E10 used nationwide now days? I would think if it's that big a problem, they would be making recommendations as to what we should or shouldn't be doing on their engines.

I spoke with paul at bakes the other day and he said indmar has determined that the engine does not need one.. This being my first inboard i was looking to see what everybody thought.. my i/o merc had one.. If you do install one you can not change the height or routing of the fuel line..

jeff

if you keep the boat on water, or fill up in marinas

i would install one

just a cup of water can ruin your motor

Huh... Now I'm reconfused, again. You apparently being a marine mechanic I would trust that you know what you're talking about. I don't keep my boat on/in the water except maybe a week or two while on vacation and don't buy much gas at marinas, but do when on vacation. But E10 is pretty pervasive and often you don't even know if that's what you're getting or not.

So... If I go to a canister type fuel/water seperator setup, where would it go in an '05 RLXI? Where the current in line filter is now or somewhere else near the block? Suggestions?

Ed

Edited by ed obermeier
if you keep the boat on water, or fill up in marinas

i would install one

just a cup of water can ruin your motor

Huh... Now I'm reconfused, again. You apparently being a marine mechanic I would trust that you know what you're talking about. I don't keep my boat on/in the water except maybe a week or two while on vacation and don't buy much gas at marinas, but do when on vacation. But E10 is pretty pervasive and often you don't even know if that's what you're getting or not.

So... If I go to a canister type fuel/water seperator setup, where would it go in an '05 RLXI? Where the current in line filter is now or somewhere else near the block? Suggestions?

Ed

i know Malibu offered a water sep as an add on

i would call them and ask what they recommend

i always steer towards racor

run a stabilizer and you will be fine