Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Newbie to the malibu crew

Kubo

Well I boated and did some wakeboarding a few times throughout the years and loved it. I was never was in the position to buy one until recently. I just picked up a 1997 Malibu Echelon.

I was hoping you guys might be able to help a new guy to the sport out.

Are there things that I should look out for and maybe some things I might want to look at getting for this?

Can we put a wedge/ power wedge on this year? Is there a company that sells this if not Malibu? Is it really beneficial?

Wlcome to the crew. You will get some great information and everyone's more than willing to help you spend your money.

They will give you all the answers you have to your wedge question. I don't know.

Welcome Thumbup.gif if your handy with tools you can add a wedge, manual will probably be much easier but you can just add some ballast bags for now to improve the wake for boarding. Does you boat have a tower?

Well I boated and did some wakeboarding a few times throughout the years and loved it. I was never was in the position to buy one until recently. I just picked up a 1997 Malibu Echelon.

Are there things that I should look out for and maybe some things I might want to look at getting for this?

Can we put a wedge/ power wedge on this year? Is there a company that sells this if not Malibu? Is it really beneficial?

First of all Welcome.gif and congrats on the new to you Bu. Here's a link with some good info... http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....showtopic=18039

Does you boat have a tower?

Not yet, it has a removable wakeboarding pylon... tower will be on soon

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm in the same boat (so to speak) regarding a tower for my Echelon. I gotta get one on my '98 to get the damn gear outta the way. I'm torn between the Extreme and the Titan II or III.

Any thoughts? (and yes, I've looked at many threads about it) I'm just not sure what will/will not work on an Echelon.

Welcome to the crew!!

The two shop favorites for towers are Titan & Samson Sports, both are made to fit and offer a lot of strength and rigidity a tower should have.

The wedge is available for your boat, you can only do the manual or floating wedge's. The power wedge is a factory option only. The wedge is a dealer sold and installed option only so you will need to go thru them to get one put on. On that boat the wedge would be a very big difference, since you don't have as much room for ballast and the hull is designed to lift the hull out of the water. The wedge will keep the boat drafting (equivalent to 1,000 lbs of weight in the boat) giving you a respectable wake board wake out of a ski boat.

Hope this helps & congrats on the new bu'!

Paul

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm in the same boat (so to speak) regarding a tower for my Echelon. I gotta get one on my '98 to get the damn gear outta the way. I'm torn between the Extreme and the Titan II or III.

Any thoughts? (and yes, I've looked at many threads about it) I'm just not sure what will/will not work on an Echelon.

Dude,

Seriously just get the Titan, the local guys, will take care of anything you need. The Heim joints and the feet placement make it undeniably the strongest tower out there. The ease of lowering the tower incase you decide to venture into the delta is a real asset as well. If pricepoint is a major concern get Version I, otherwise I'd get ver II.

Yes the wedge is beneficial, less interior space needed to dedicate to extra weight and the ability to cross from slalom to wb with ease. Only a dealer will sell the wedge to you, you'll need your HIN# for that unless you can find a used wedge/wedge plate. The Echelon is the boat that put Malibu on the map....

Thanks for the welcome!

Dude,

Seriously just get the Titan, the local guys, will take care of anything you need. The Heim joints and the feet placement make it undeniably the strongest tower out there. The ease of lowering the tower incase you decide to venture into the delta is a real asset as well. If pricepoint is a major concern get Version I, otherwise I'd get ver II.

Ya, I talked to them a couple times and they seemed very reasonable. I hand't really seen the Extreme tower on a similar boat (of course, I wasn't looking either). it does look good on the Response. But I'll prob go with Titan II.