Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Change to Sport Seating - Angry Wife

scanr

Malibu Newbie - I just purchased a new left over '08 247 Wakesetter without telling my wife. I broke the news and it's sorta OK, but now she is pi**ed because she saw pictures of sport seating and she really wants a passenger bucket seat. Anyone ever done this conversion? Any idea of cost? Is this at all feasible?

While I am at it, I see the posting for adding heated driver seat, but is it possible to add Malibu OEM (preferred) or after-market 2 or 3 station heater option?

Thanks

Can't help with the seat mod...but had to say I admire the b*lls you have to buy a boat without checking with the CFO. Hope it works out for ya.

Adding a 2 or 3 outlet heater is pretty easy. The heaters are made by Heathercraft. If you do a search you're surely going to find many posts on this topic

Malibu Newbie - I just purchased a new left over '08 247 Wakesetter without telling my wife. I broke the news and it's sorta OK, but now she is pi**ed because she saw pictures of sport seating and she really wants a passenger bucket seat. Anyone ever done this conversion? Any idea of cost? Is this at all feasible?

While I am at it, I see the posting for adding heated driver seat, but is it possible to add Malibu OEM (preferred) or after-market 2 or 3 station heater option?

Thanks

Wow,

We need to give you the big kahonies award. Thumbup.gif

The seat conversion would be a pretty big job, but the addition of the heater is very common. You may be better off looking into some custom seating if your going to have to spend the money to change the original design unless you can get your dealer to help you out.

Welcome to the crew, you'll just end up spending more money after hanging around here so don't worry so much about these little things :)

Thanks

consider your man card punched and validated. if you can do that, you can do this. Your wife just thinks she wants a passenger bucket seat, she will actually prefer to sit at the rear of the boat facing forward, more social and more importantly, the ride is better at the back of the boat and she can stretch out her legs if she wants.

I don't think the conversion would be possible. The heated seat on the other hand was just talked about recently, the thread can be found here (oe parts are like $100.):heated seat discussion

Edited by Cervelo

Dude you bought a boat without telling your wife and you are asking how to get over not having sport seating.

Congrats on boat, I am of no help in regards to sport seating.

Wow, congrats on the new Bu. Definitely have more b*lls than I do.

I agree with Cervelo, your wife will want to be hanging out with everyone versus facing forward.

If this is your first inboard wake boat I would give the standard seating a try first.

There's a reason you rarely see the bucket seat on the passenger/Observers side.

Now be sure you let us know what how many carats your Wifes new toy is.

Bookmarked this thread for future reference - hoping it will come in handy the next time I buy something without CFO approval. "But honey, it could have been a lot worse. Just look at what this guy did!" :)

Gotta add a Notworthy.gif to scanr. One hell of a first post!

Biggrin.gif

If this is your first inboard wake boat I would give the standard seating a try first.

There's a reason you rarely see the bucket seat on the passenger/Observers side.

Now be sure you let us know what how many carats your Wifes new toy is.

"Easy fix, just let her drive the whole time, so she can have the bucket seat."

My wife has always been prone to becoming car sick since a little girl (or seasick since she met me) but it does not bother her if she is in front, facing forward. Hence the complaint, and surprisingly she actually wants to sit next to me! Let her drive MY new boat? Are you freaking kidding me!! My insurance would double.

Easy fix, just let her drive the whole time, so she can have the bucket seat. Your going to be riding the whole time behind the boat anyway right?

I agree with cummins bu. Tell her that you did it on purpose because you knew she would be driving mostly. I know my wife would be up for it she loves to drive.

Congrats on the new boat.

On the seating conversion, I have a buddy who has the sport seating in a VTX. Everything is different, the passenger side seat itself, the combing pad, the floor under the glovebox, even the seat behind the passenger seat.

That said, they love the sport seating. They lose some storage & a bit less seating but gain a lot of flexibility for the passenger, ie; sit facing forward or backward.

Good luck with the mod.

Big Ones,

My advise is to sell her on the fact to try out the current seat configuration. Give it a season. She may like it.

Plus trying it out and giving it a chance to be acceptable is way cheaper than jumping in on the conversion.

The seat storage you currently have is awesome, you can put tons of stuff under the current seats.

My estimate is that it would cost $1000-$1500 or more to convert it over.

I had similar concerns before I bought my new boat.

But My wife did not mind the normal rear facing seatng and we wanted the extra seating capacity anyways.

The lounge allows to relax and lay down all around the seats.

I think the Sport seat will take away about 3 seats for 1 bucket seat and storage under it.

Plus the storage door will be removed and some storage under the windshield will go away.

My dealer told me the resale value and is better on a normal wakesetter seating. Not many people want the 2 captain seats on a Malibu.

Or you could teach your wife to drive the boat and she will have a bucket seat (some of the time) or maybe she will grow to like the current configuration.

If you ski or wakeboard you get a great view of the skier and not a bad look of the driver....

Be a good salesman here..and it can always be changed at sometime or another.. Wait out the conversion is my honest opinion.

I have been through this before...(well I didn't just go out and buy a new boat, but...)

My wife had one requirement when we were looking for a boat. She wanted "her own seat". I had already owned an I/O before and knew that my next boat would be an inboard. This limited our selection to only a few older used models, the Tige 23V and a couple Maristars.

We ended up both loving a new Malibu in-stock at the dealership. She didn't want to pay more to order one with sport seating, so we bought the 23 with normal seating.

When we were ordering our 2009 I told her this was her chance to get the sport seating she originally wanted. She wanted to order the new boat with the normal observer's seat. She strongly prefers the wraparound seating for all of the additional storage. She rides in the back corner as Cervelo said because the ride is smoother. Once we stop to hang out I swivel the driver's seat around to join the party.

Give your wife some time with the normal seating, I'm sure she will learn to like it much better than the sport seating. You will lose a ton of storage if you change it and it will not be easy or cheap.

Edited by WhoaNellie
If it is that big of a deal, see if the dealer will find one and swap it for you. Even if cost some $$ it will be better than trying to retrofit.

Wow. I would be dead if I ever did something like that. Props for you. (I hope your CFO doesn't read this thread). Our biggest decision when deciding which boat to get was that we wanted sport seating (and the heated seat to go with it). We always have the seat turned around and facing the rear, when someone's behind the boat. Works out great. There's enough storage for us that we don't care about the loss in storage.

In regards to your conversion. It's going to be a pretty decent cost, I would estimate up to $2k for it all said and done. That whole side of the boat is going to be replaced. Everything from the glovebox to the dash to the seats to the carpet.

I'd try the wrap around for a season and see if you really want it. There's only a select few who sit there, most are either in the bow or at the back. Usually it's the person holding the baby or wants to get out of the wind.