Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Buying Help

pamtar

I'm looking for a Malibu for under $15K. I've skated behind a '93 f3 a bunch and I really like it. The wake (with 1000lbs added) is a perfect cross between lippyness and rampyness - kinda like a mini VLX wake.

The only thing I dont like about the Skier f3s is the closed bow. Am I right in assuming that the Sunsetter f3s are identical, except the open bow? I've also looked at some Responses. How does that wake compare to the f3's? Are there other Malibu's with a comparable wake?

Finally, Ive found a '93 f3 for $9000. Cosmetically and mechanically its in great shape. However, the odometer broke at 230 hours. The seller said he's put about 30 more hrs on it since. Based on the wear of the boat and the engine I feel persuaded to believe him. Thoughts?

Thanks!

I'm looking for a Malibu for under $15K. I've skated behind a '93 f3 a bunch and I really like it. The wake (with 1000lbs added) is a perfect cross between lippyness and rampyness - kinda like a mini VLX wake.

The only thing I dont like about the Skier f3s is the closed bow. Am I right in assuming that the Sunsetter f3s are identical, except the open bow? I've also looked at some Responses. How does that wake compare to the f3's? Are there other Malibu's with a comparable wake?

Finally, Ive found a '93 f3 for $9000. Cosmetically and mechanically its in great shape. However, the odometer broke at 230 hours. The seller said he's put about 30 more hrs on it since. Based on the wear of the boat and the engine I feel persuaded to believe him. Thoughts?

Thanks!

A little tid bit to possibly consider, among some other things for the newer models, after 94-95 much of the Malibu line up went to an all composite structure if I’m not mistaken, no wood to rot out in the runners etc.

For $9000 you should be able to acquire a little newer Bu, especially in this market.

Finding something under $15000 and maybe even more suited to you, shouldn’t be a struggle at all.

My 2 cents

Thanks!

A little tid bit to possibly consider, among some other things for the newer models, after 94-95 much of the Malibu line up went to an all composite structure if I’m not mistaken, no wood to rot out in the runners etc.

For $9000 you should be able to acquire a little newer Bu, especially in this market.

Finding something under $15000 and maybe even more suited to you, shouldn’t be a struggle at all.

My 2 cents

For your price range, I wouldn't even look at a Euro f3. You should be able to pick up a nice used Echelon for under 15000. The Echelon is an awesome boat, all composite, great looks and a great wake. I know because I owned one for 7 years (a 1994) and sold it for under 15000 2 years ago. Keep us posted.

Boatman

Based on your budget of under 15K, I would also recommend going with something newer and all fiberglass. I did see a post from 99response about a 2000 Sunsetter for 13.5K. I have the same boat with the same engine, and I love it. It puts out a great wake for boarding or skating, and the interior is very large for a direct drive. I am not sure what you will be using the boat for, but that is a proven hull for wake sports. (I have no affiliation with that boat, I just saw it and it looked like a good deal and perfect for your situation)

If he likes to skate a lot, it may be better to stay with a non-diamond hull boat for the wake quality. A pre-'98 Response, the as-mentioned Echelon, or any year Sportster would fill that role nicely. Any of which came in an open bow & would fall right into the price wheelhouse.