Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat lift capacity

MadDogMike

I have an '04 VLX, specs say it's 2900 pounds. I assume that is empty. I found a great deal on a used boat lift with a 3000 pound capacity. I know that's not ideal, but will it do the job? It's so cheap, I have to ask!

thanks,

Mike

I would be looking at a 4500 lbs lift. I know what your thinking but your boat will be over 3000 as soon as you hit the water.

One thing you may check is I have seen lifts rated at 3000 lbs but the frame work is the same as a 4000 lbs lift just using a liter cable. That cable could be changed.

Do you know the brand name. do a search and see what lift weights are offered by the manufacture.

I keep my 04 LSV on a 6600lbs lift and I would not want to keep the boat on one that has a smaller capacity. You would be amazed at how nice it is to be able to work in the boat while it is on the lift. Given the weight of your boat and the lift capacity you state with a few things in the boat and a full tank of gas I don't think it will lift it out of the water. Also, remember that the excess capacity that you have is an insurance policy for a slow leak in your lift.

You might check and see if you can't buy a third tank for the lift which would give you 50% more capacity and then be marginally acceptable for your boat.

-Dave

I have an '04 VLX, specs say it's 2900 pounds. I assume that is empty. I found a great deal on a used boat lift with a 3000 pound capacity. I know that's not ideal, but will it do the job? It's so cheap, I have to ask!

thanks,

Mike

If it really is a great deal, buy the lift to sell it and make a few dollars towards a proper size lift for your application. That being said, I have a 3000 lb lift for my Echelon and it doesn't seem to stress the lift at all. The 3000 lb lift might do the job for your VLX, but at a compromise for safety I'm afraid.

Given the weight of your boat and the lift capacity you state with a few things in the boat and a full tank of gas I don't think it will lift it out of the water. Also, remember that the excess capacity that you have is an insurance policy for a slow leak in your lift.

You might check and see if you can't buy a third tank for the lift which would give you 50% more capacity and then be marginally acceptable for your boat.

Oh, this is not a pneumatic lift. I guess I should have specified.

3k83me3p0ZZZZZZZZZ926ff0176708bf61215.jpg

I would be looking at a 4500 lbs lift. I know what your thinking but your boat will be over 3000 as soon as you hit the water.

Yeah, I know that.

One thing you may check is I have seen lifts rated at 3000 lbs but the frame work is the same as a 4000 lbs lift just using a liter cable. That cable could be changed.

Do you know the brand name. do a search and see what lift weights are offered by the manufacture.

It's a DAKA. Looks like they make lifts up to 6k#. http://www.dakadock.com/vertical.cfm I'll check into the fame & cable thing.

My last boat and lift combo was in the same situation you are proposing. Although I never had an issue, I had a constant fear in the back of my mind that the cable would snap and tear through me or worse, one of my kids, while I was raising it.

I'm sure that's extreme, but it's the reason that when I bought new, I went for a 5000 lb capacity for my 3000 lb boat.

Also, from what I've found is that used low capacity lifts are a PITA to sell. That's why it's so cheap.

Looking at the speck sheet on the web sight my bet is the 4,000 & 5000lbs lifts are just a cable change. I see a small size change from the 3,000 to the 4,000lbs lifts I am wondering if you are looking at some structure changes may be beam size. The inside dimension did not change but the out side is one inch. My bet is the stock has gone up a 1/2 inch. Also the weight change is more between the 3,000 to 4,000 than 4,000 to 5,000. I would have some concerns if the beams are heaver on the bigger lifts. It is not only the lift weight a boat on a lift has a significant wind resistance and side loading is a concern. Wake and wave movement can be another big force.

In the end my vote is over size is much safer. I know I have been known to work on and sometimes under my boat on the lift. I think under would be out of the question if it was just big enough.