Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding Bow Ballast

mcbean7

Kb3 can comment (he's done more research on adding the bow tank than anyone I know), but I don't think that it's doable on the VLX due to the way that the deck/hull/floor all come together. It's different from the other models & as I recall, & that makes it the one model that you can't retrofit the tank to. Others may say that they've done it, but I think that at best it won't be an easy thing. I think that if it were me & I had a boat that didn't have the tank, I'd just figure on taking the bow filler cushion out & just running a bag in that spot pretty much full time.

If you haven't bought the boat, unless it's an unbelievable deal I'd really try to find one with the tank. It's really, really necessary on that boat.

The bow tank will hold more & be more integrated. As I said though, it may not be an option. I know that at one point, dealers were not even able to order that tank for the VLX. I don't know if that's changed, but I do know that the VLX presents more challenges for integrating the tank after the fact.

I think I'll pass on this boat. It's got everything I'm looking for, minus bow ballast. I thought it might be an easy add-on but doesn't sound like that's the case.

I think I prefer the tank over the bags.

Thanks for the response guys.

The search continues.

I think I'll pass on this boat. It's got everything I'm looking for, minus bow ballast. I thought it might be an easy add-on but doesn't sound like that's the case.

The search continues.

I have heard different things concerning the 2006 VLX bow construction. If the seat bases are fiberglass and molded into the floor, it really cant be done. If they are the ones that are carpeted and bolted to the floor, then all you need to do is source a tank and a few minor parts. As others have said, the dealers will tell you they cant get the tank....I on the other hand know differently. Whistling.gif

The search continues.

I have heard different things concerning the 2006 VLX bow construction. If the seat bases are fiberglass and molded into the floor, it really cant be done. If they are the ones that are carpeted and bolted to the floor, then all you need to do is source a tank and a few minor parts. As others have said, the dealers will tell you they cant get the tank....I on the other hand know differently. Whistling.gif

Thanks for the reply kb3.

If this boat has bolted on seats and I can add a tank, and if I can even get a tank, how much am I looking at?

The '05-'08 VLx had a different deck mold depending on whether or not it had bow ballast or traditional seating. It's the only model like that, as the others used the bolt in style seating kb3 mentioned.

So the answer is, unfortunately, no the factory hard tank can not be added to the VLX.

The '05-'08 VLx had a different deck mold depending on whether or not it had bow ballast or traditional seating. It's the only model like that, as the others used the bolt in style seating kb3 mentioned.

So the answer is, unfortunately, no the factory hard tank can not be added to the VLX.

Ski crave that is not all together tru. I have an 07 with the removable seat base. I.E. I can add the tank if I wanted.

When I ordered my '05 I didn't think I really needed the bow ballast. Was I mistaken... After riding in a buddies boat with the bow ballast, it makes a world of difference to the wake.

So... Since I don't have the integrated tank I put 250 lbs of lead under the front seats. The bad thing is that I have to drag that extra weight to and from the lake.

• 1 month later...
Ski crave that is not all together tru. I have an 07 with the removable seat base. I.E. I can add the tank if I wanted.

I've been wrong before and I'll definitely be wrong again! ;)

Can you snap a pic of the bow area when you have a chance?

I just bought an 08 about an hour ago and the dealer told me that they can add factory front ballast AT THE FACTORY. $600. I made him call the area rep to confirm, which he did. The catch is you have to take the boat to the factory. But since I live 2 hours away, that's not a problem. That being said, I'm going to try the integrated front sack first because my wife really wants a foot well in the bow.

Greg

A newer VLX is deeper than my Vride and I am sure my integrated bow sack holds 200-250 lbs. The bow sack can't be hard to add..don't pass on the boat if it has everything else.