Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

power vs manual wedge

OTN

How much of a difference do you guys think it makes? Would it be a dealbreaker? I'm going to have a crew that's going to be a mix of slalom, wakeboard, and surfing.

Thanks for your help throughout this process, guys. I'll have the video of the 20lsv slalom wake up fri night.

t

I think that it depends on the model & year, but prior to '09 it's not a deal-breaker to me either. If you're talking about an '09 VLX though, it would absolutely be a deal breaker IMO. It's much more effective on that new hull, particularly for surfing.

With my 06 VLX it wouldn't be a deal breaker, I either ride with it all the way down or up. But it is nice to have. I play with the angle's a little but not enough to make it a deal breaker. The new hull don't know, have yet to ride behind one.

Power vs manual doesn't make difference, same wake. Unless I were to buy a new '09 or '10 boat.

What makes a difference to me is having the ballast tank up front (having to use fat sacs or lead in the bow vs factory plumbed ballast tank).

One thing I do with my power wedge is power it down just a tad at running speed, makes a hell of a rooster tail. All the kids in the boat think it is super cool. Who ever I happen to be towing at the time gets quite the shower!!! It is all about the fun Thumbup.gif

I'm lazy. I prefer the power wedge. I like the flip of a switch control. But definetely not a deal breaker and to be honest, we rarely use it because we found weight does better on our boat than the wedge.

For me after having the manual fixed wedge vs. the PW I'd personally only have the PW now. The free floating wedge is certainly better than the fixed wedge especially for surfing. When we load people into the boat I adjust the wedge accordingly, also we ride occasionally w/ a guy how likes a steeper wake and w/ the PW I'm able to do that whereas w/ the other wedges not so. In the '05-'08 VLX the front ballast is a major deal breaker over the PW, but if I was looking again it must have both.

Thanks for the input, guys.

The bottom line is this: I'm looking at an '09 VTX (with maliview and power wedge) vs. an '08 VTX (no maliview, no power wedge)- all other options the same on both. Price is ~$50k for the '08 and ~$60k for the '09.

If the difference were in the ~$4 to $5k range, I'd go with the '09. But, $10k...

Decisions, decisions. I'm confident about the VTX, though- I'm about 90% slalom, but have friends who wakeboard/surf, etc, and I plan on getting into those, too. The VTX sounds like a great crossover boat, and I don't have any kids, so space isn't yet a premium.

That's a tough one. The new auto-wedge feature on the '09 is awesome, & Maliview.....I think that I just left a puddle of drool in my lap. Drool.gif I'd go through the options on each with a fine-toothed comb, just to be sure that it's apples vs. apples across the board.

Thanks for the input, guys.

The bottom line is this: I'm looking at an '09 VTX (with maliview and power wedge) vs. an '08 VTX (no maliview, no power wedge)- all other options the same on both. Price is ~$50k for the '08 and ~$60k for the '09.

If the difference were in the ~$4 to $5k range, I'd go with the '09. But, $10k...

Decisions, decisions. I'm confident about the VTX, though- I'm about 90% slalom, but have friends who wakeboard/surf, etc, and I plan on getting into those, too. The VTX sounds like a great crossover boat, and I don't have any kids, so space isn't yet a premium.

IIRC the Malivue option is worth $1,200 alone and the PW is as well so roughly $2,400. Does the '08 have the front ballast, if not I'd seriously consider passing on it. Upon resale having both the malivue and the PW will set it apart. Take both boats out for demo, that is the best way to decide.

That's a tough one. The new auto-wedge feature on the '09 is awesome, & Maliview.....I think that I just left a puddle of drool in my lap. Drool.gif I'd go through the options on each with a fine-toothed comb, just to be sure that it's apples vs. apples across the board.

Auto-wedge? Do tell. Not sure I know what that would be all about.

Either way, that's how I feel- tough call. As a techy sort of guy, passing up the Maliview is going to be damn near impossible. Love that thing. The possibilities are endless:

- watch the video you just took of yourself skiing/riding, critique with others

- the dealer I'm working with says he can hook a camera up to the tower tow rope so it follows the course of the rope back and forth across the wake. No idea how he does this, but it sounds awesome.

- play movies on multiple screens. The control box below the dash actually has TWO video inputs and FOUR outputs- you can hook up to 4 additional monitors up to the Maliview system, and they'll display what the system is showing. Somebody get me Xzibit.

- hook a computer up with satellite internet, BAM- can surf Malibu Crew forums on the water...ok, maybe that one's a bit much.

Plus, I'm willing to bet in 2014 or whenever if I want to change boats (if ever), it's going to be a hell of a lot easier to sell one with the Maliview than without.

Auto-wedge? Do tell. Not sure I know what that would be all about.

Either way, that's how I feel- tough call. As a techy sort of guy, passing up the Maliview is going to be damn near impossible. Love that thing. The possibilities are endless:

- watch the video you just took of yourself skiing/riding, critique with others

- the dealer I'm working with says he can hook a camera up to the tower tow rope so it follows the course of the rope back and forth across the wake. No idea how he does this, but it sounds awesome.

- play movies on multiple screens. The control box below the dash actually has TWO video inputs and FOUR outputs- you can hook up to 4 additional monitors up to the Maliview system, and they'll display what the system is showing. Somebody get me Xzibit.

- hook a computer up with satellite internet, BAM- can surf Malibu Crew forums on the water...ok, maybe that one's a bit much.

Plus, I'm willing to bet in 2014 or whenever if I want to change boats (if ever), it's going to be a hell of a lot easier to sell one with the Maliview than without.

Totally agree. That would be a tough one for me too.

Auto wedge

It works like this: you have all of your rider presets, & say that one of them has the power wedge at its furthest back setting. So what happens is that when auto wedge is engaged in a situation like this, it actually starts out with the wedge in the furthest down position. When you get to a point where you're close to your set speed within that rider preset (I think that it's something like 10 or 15%), the wedge kicks back to where the rider preset wants it. It sounds like a gimmick, but on our test drive it worked really well. I'm a power fiend, & I was so impressed with it that I'd be much more inclined to opt for a Monsoon with that particular feature. The boat planed up so much better, & when the wedge kicked back you could actually feel it as well as see it in the wake. Malibu also claims an increase in fuel economy, & while I don't know for a fact if that's true, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it is.

There is a lot of talk about other features & innovations for '09 (like Maliview), but in terms of usability day in & day out, this one ranks right up there with the best of them IMO.