Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Finally found a decent wedge

greenworks

I bought a brand new complete wedge on craigslist from a past Malibu owner dealer, cleaning out the garage. I have a few questions about it

1. even though it looks like it is a mailbu wedge and came from a Malibu dealer apparently it doesn'y say Wedge on the bottom do they all have the wedge Engraved in the bottom of the foil?

2. I have read alot about install, the one thing I have issues with is the centering/leveling of the wedge. I have read that one must not use the exhaust ports to center, as well the levelness is a issue in my mind as to what to decide is level and where. Can I assume if the sundeck area is level from port to starboard then the boat is level? Then just level the bracket and be done or is there a more specific way to do this

3 I know that you should have the wedge up as high as possible to the swim step but exactly how close when the wedge is up measurement wise

4. does anyone have some close up pictures of the wedge on there boat as I do not have acces to one near me to look at.

5. Lastly I have only read snug but not tight no one has ever talked torque specs on the bolts, anyone know the malibu requirements.

Thanks Jason

I bought a brand new complete wedge on craigslist from a past Malibu owner dealer, cleaning out the garage. I have a few questions about it

1. even though it looks like it is a mailbu wedge and came from a Malibu dealer apparently it doesn'y say Wedge on the bottom do they all have the wedge Engraved in the bottom of the foil?

2. I have read alot about install, the one thing I have issues with is the centering/leveling of the wedge. I have read that one must not use the exhaust ports to center, as well the levelness is a issue in my mind as to what to decide is level and where. Can I assume if the sundeck area is level from port to starboard then the boat is level? Then just level the bracket and be done or is there a more specific way to do this

3 I know that you should have the wedge up as high as possible to the swim step but exactly how close when the wedge is up measurement wise

4. does anyone have some close up pictures of the wedge on there boat as I do not have acces to one near me to look at.

5. Lastly I have only read snug but not tight no one has ever talked torque specs on the bolts, anyone know the malibu requirements.

Thanks Jason

Can't help with your questions but here is a pic off our old SSLXi

You can only put it so high as there is a shelf. You can also use the shelf for the level measurements. Don't use the exhaust for centering us the sides of the indent. I posted up a thread on this, I think. If not I have pics from my install...........

My Wedge does not have any engraving on bottom; I have the V-shaped foil on my '98.

As for height, make sure that the Wedge will not drag when in in the retracted position.

The foil does not have to have the word "wedge" engraved on it. If it looks like a Malibu wedge, it probably is.

You will have a very tough time finding center and level because almost nothing is center or level. I used a laser and used the ski pylon as center. I think I measured up from the indents in the bottom of the hull at the rear for level. shoot the laser and use masking tape and measure 4 times before you drill. You do want the wedge up as high as you can get it but, leave yourself about a 1/2" of clearance from it hitting the bottom of the swimstep. Make sure you are accounting for any "slack" in the system while the system is in either position.

Don't drill the holes anywhere near the bottom of the hull because where the fiber glass makes any 90* turns, there is no access to the backside of that. Take a really hard look at where the holes are going to come through on the inside. Use the drain plug hole and a reference and measure 4 times.

Make sure when you do drill the holes, that you drill at 90*. If you slant the drill at all through the fiberglass, the bolt won't pass through to the stainless backing plate. Chamfer the holes at the gel coat end. I'd put a little silicone around the bolts as I'm installing them. I tightened the bolts wrist tight. When I heard fiberglass making weird sounds, I stopped. You will need two people to tighten the bolts. Don't let the bolts rotate because you will have silicone on the shaft of the bolt, rotate the nut only.

Make all your measurements, then sleep on it. You'll probably think of a better way to measure things while you're laying in bed. I knocked myself out to get my wedge on dead straight and level. I've heard at the factory that they just eye ball it. I measured two friends wedge mounting plates and found them very different and so I believe the factory story.

Or, you could just have the dealer do it.

before.

after. notice I made mine so that the bolt heads are facing out, not the nuts like on everyone else's boat. I think it looks a lot cleaner.

Edited by Pistol Pete

That wedge is a late model design where I guess they added the third bolt to counter act the shearing of the bolt heads.

If I ever have an issue, I'll replace those bolts w/titanium bolts. That's what I always recommend to people who have had the heads shear.

A 98 with a power wedge, that will be unique!

What Pete mentioned is spot on; Drilling the holes straight, Chamfering the holes, and using lots of silicone/adhesive to make sure you get a good seal is important.

This is what Malibu uses on anything below the water line -Life Seal Silcone Sealant

you could use 3M 5200 but it is really messy to work with.

Good luck with the project!

-Paul

Edited by Bakes Board & Ski

So Mr. Green,

I'm lying in bed this morning thinking about installing your wedge and it dawned on me; something I forgot to mention.

I would highly recommend that you have the mounting bracket and V foil powder coated before installation. The anodize tends to wear off over time and will pit and corrode. May I suggest you be the first one on the board to get creative and have the two parts powder coated in a color that will add style to your boat?

So Mr. Green,

I'm lying in bed this morning thinking about installing your wedge and it dawned on me; something I forgot to mention.

I would highly recommend that you have the mounting bracket and V foil powder coated before installation. The anodize tends to wear off over time and will pit and corrode. May I suggest you be the first one on the board to get creative and have the two parts powder coated in a color that will add style to your boat?

That would look cool - a wedge color accent! Thumbup.gif

Yes sir,

I perused Mr. Green's gallery and I think a nice green foil and plate would accent his stripe. Plus the nibral arms of the wedge wouldn't look to bad against his base color and new decal.

Yes sir,

I perused Mr. Green's gallery and I think a nice green foil and plate would accent his stripe. Plus the nibral arms of the wedge wouldn't look to bad against his base color and new decal.

You got some good idea's dude.

Those pics of your boat in the "before/after install" is super clean! It looks good!

Thanks for the compliments guys, we do tend to get a few looks from guys at the ramp.Old always ain't so bad... just have to finish the tower speakers and stereo upgrade swivel/bolster seat and I think it is done Yahoo.gif l already did the PP Stargazer,Titan II tower/ lowrider racks,evolution cover,3 port heater, custom ballast system, Custom decals sometimes I think I should have just bought a new boat, but then again I had alot of fun fixing up this old girl.

As far as the wedge goes I was thinking about polishing it, but had considered the mounting plate and the pitting issues. Maybe I'll make a phone call....

I just had mine Line X coated. I will see how that holds up for me this year. Nothing else has seemed to stay on this wing. The Line X product can be had in many colors if needed, I did my wing and arms with black. I'll post pictures later. $60 cost to do wing and arms.

While polishing the brass areas of the wedge today a realized the wedge came with no top bolts from the wedge arm to plate. Is this just a simple bolt or does it have teflon spacers etc.

Yeah,

Nothing fancy about those bolts. I think they're 1/2"?

You could put some plastic or nylon washers in between the moving parts. The thing that will make the biggest difference is how tight you make that nut-to-bolt torque. Those two bolts have to be just loose enough for the wedge to go up and down.

One thing I modified is when I installed those bolts, I made sure that where the bolt went through the bracket and arms, that the bolt surface was smooth, not threaded. I didn't want the threads digging into the metal during trailering or on the water. I think I measured how long the shank of the bolt would have to be smooth, bought a stainless bolt at the hardware store that met that one measurement then, cut the threaded end down to the total length I wanted. You will want to put a nylok nut on the other end of the bolt. Hopefully a brass nylok nut. Whatever you do, never bolt a stainless bolt to a stainless nut and tighten it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well finished polishing the brass arms, look much better than the cast rough look.The arms are just sitting on the foil and when I took the pics I didn't pay attention to which way the foil was facing so disregard the fact that the foil is backwards

post-4363-1236439503_thumb.jpg

Edited by greenworks

Looks really good. And, the V plate looks really clean like almost new.

I added some plumber's grease inside the cylinders where the wing nut push pins are. I packed as much as I could get in there and blew it in with a little compressed air.

Well finished polishing the brass arms, look much better than the cast rough look.The arms are just sitting on the foil and when I took the pics I didn't pay attention to which way the foil was facing so disregard the fact that the foil is backwards

Can you elaborate on how you polished that? I've never polished metal like that, and would be interested in doing my wedge also.

The foil does not have to have the word "wedge" engraved on it. If it looks like a Malibu wedge, it probably is.

You will have a very tough time finding center and level because almost nothing is center or level. I used a laser and used the ski pylon as center. I think I measured up from the indents in the bottom of the hull at the rear for level. shoot the laser and use masking tape and measure 4 times before you drill. You do want the wedge up as high as you can get it but, leave yourself about a 1/2" of clearance from it hitting the bottom of the swimstep. Make sure you are accounting for any "slack" in the system while the system is in either position.

Don't drill the holes anywhere near the bottom of the hull because where the fiber glass makes any 90* turns, there is no access to the backside of that. Take a really hard look at where the holes are going to come through on the inside. Use the drain plug hole and a reference and measure 4 times.

Make sure when you do drill the holes, that you drill at 90*. If you slant the drill at all through the fiberglass, the bolt won't pass through to the stainless backing plate. Chamfer the holes at the gel coat end. I'd put a little silicone around the bolts as I'm installing them. I tightened the bolts wrist tight. When I heard fiberglass making weird sounds, I stopped. You will need two people to tighten the bolts. Don't let the bolts rotate because you will have silicone on the shaft of the bolt, rotate the nut only.

Make all your measurements, then sleep on it. You'll probably think of a better way to measure things while you're laying in bed. I knocked myself out to get my wedge on dead straight and level. I've heard at the factory that they just eye ball it. I measured two friends wedge mounting plates and found them very different and so I believe the factory story.

Or, you could just have the dealer do it.

before.

after. notice I made mine so that the bolt heads are facing out, not the nuts like on everyone else's boat. I think it looks a lot cleaner.

Pete...What a CLEAN BOAT!!! Does it get used? Wow NICE BOAT!

Can you elaborate on how you polished that? I've never polished metal like that, and would be interested in doing my wedge also.

Basically the whole wedge comes apart. Using a rubber mallet bang off the flat sides from the round shafts that hold the locking pins.

Once I removed all the pieces I used a grinder with a 80 grit flapper wheel the get the brass smooth from the casting process. I then used 2" sanding pads on a small air grinder to polish to 120 then 180, 240 then 320 then I went to 400 grit sandpapaer and hand sanded then 600 then 1000 then 1500 Crazy.gif . Then went to the buffing wheel on my bench grinder and used a polish to get the final shine. If you look close in a few spots there is the odd sanding mark but its good enough for me. It took me about 3 hrs but it looks much better than the orginal. My wife gave me heck for buying more stuff for the boat when she saw it in the garage, then I told her what it was even she was impressed which takes some doing.... :lol:

Pete...What a CLEAN BOAT!!! Does it get used? Wow NICE BOAT!

Well,

If you ask my Nor Cal brethren they'll tell you that my motto is..."The best boat is your friend's boat"

They'll also tell you that I winterize and de-winterize it all throughout the summer because I only take it out about 3 times a year.

Hence, the new "boat" description under my avatar.

Thanks for the compliment. If I have my way, it'll be for sale in 2 years.