Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

08 V-Ride Hull

rprilutsky

I've been told that 08 V-Ride Hull is the same as 05-08 VLX. Is this true?

Does this mean that 08 vride will generate the same wake as say 05 VLX with the same ballast and wedge?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by rprilutsky

Does this mean that 08 vride will generate the same wake as say 05 VLX with the same ballast and wedge?

Thanks for your help.

No the '09 V ride is based on the '05-'08 VLX.

Thanks for your help.

No the '09 V ride is based on the '05-'08 VLX.

So, what 08 V ride hull is based on?

the 08 vride is the same hull as the pre 05 vlx.

Specifically, '96-'04 VLX.

I have a choice between 08 vride and 05 VLX. I only do wakedoarding. Which wake will be better with the same ballast and wedge?

IMO, the '05. But I'm biased.

Do you think the difference is marginal or noticeable. Seems like SV23 is 600lb lighter….

I have a choice between 08 vride and 05 VLX. I only do wakedoarding. Which wake will be better with the same ballast and wedge?

We had nearly the same choice when buying our boat. 06 VLX (same hull as the 05) or 08 vRide. We're glad we went with the VLX for the room, wake, and general plushness. Best option is to go out and ride in them, or at the very least sit in them for now. You'll make the right choice.

The ’05 VLX made huge improvements in terms of space, handling and wakeshape. Keep in mind for many years the ’08 Vride hull was the premier wakeboarding hull and certainly has a loyal following. The ’05 offers more creature comforts and is only one generation removed from production. If the prices are close then go for the ’05, if price point is the main concern I’d make sure the ’08 vride is a killer deal.

Not to be one of those guys, but per the spec charts on this site the pre 05 VLX had a 93 inch beam and 20 inch draft. The 05 - 08 v Rides show 93.5 and 24.

I think you are mis-reading the chart,

the '05 vlx has a 98" beam and is 21'6":

Wakesetter VLX 21'6" 98" 24" 3600 Lbs. 11 Persons 46 Gallons V25 Wake

the '08 v-ride has a 93.5" beam and is 21':

V-Ride 21' 93.5" 24" 3000 Lbs. 10 Persons 35 Gallons SV23 Wake
Not to be one of those guys, but per the spec charts on this site the pre 05 VLX had a 93 inch beam and 20 inch draft. The 05 - 08 v Rides show 93.5 and 24.

I think you are mis-reading the chart,

the '05 vlx has a 98" beam and is 21'6":

Wakesetter VLX 21'6" 98" 24" 3600 Lbs. 11 Persons 46 Gallons V25 Wake

the '08 v-ride has a 93.5" beam and is 21':

V-Ride 21' 93.5" 24" 3000 Lbs. 10 Persons 35 Gallons SV23 Wake

Could yoyu please send a link to the chart?

Yes you're correct, the 05 VLX has a wider beam than the 08 vRide does. The interior of the 05 VLX is bigger than the 08 vRide. If the 05 VLX has the bow ballast and wedge, is comparable in price to the 08 vRide and in great condition, then I would go with the 05 VLX over the vRide. Make sure the VLX has the bow ballast though or else you will most likely regret not having it. The vRide's V23 hull does fine without the bow ballast, but the newer V25 hull really needs the bow ballast from what I've heard from other owners on this board.

Edited by jtrovato

IMO, the '05. But I'm biased.

Do you think the difference is marginal or noticeable. Seems like SV23 is 600lb lighter….

Noticeable. The Vride has a wake that is sharper & IMO not as versatile in terms of shaping ability. And as Malibudude alluded, the handling in addition to other things are equally improved. I'm not dissing the Vride, it's a great boat whose longevity is a testament to how great the design was in 1996. But all things being equal, the V25 hull all by itself was a major step up in the evolution of the species.

And jtrovato is correct, the '05 VLX needs weight in the bow. If it doesn't have the tank, you're going to end up putting weight up there in some form.

Is the 08 vRide brand new or used? If you're comparing an 05 VLX that is in pristine shape to a brand new vRide i'd take the VLX! if it's got a ton of hours and needs any kind of maintenance / service needs then you cant go wrong with a brand new boat plus the peace of mind of a new boat factory warranty.

Tough choice and a good problem.

Unless the 05 VLX is in really, really good shape otherwise the 08 Vride would be my choice.

Don't worry about bow ballast you can add it to either boat and it is not that hard...both boats need bow ballast.

Wake aside, I can't remember all the differences, but I guess some differencs could be that the 08 vride could have the power wedge, newer electronics, Bu's cruise control, drive by wire, and obviously warranty. Are there others?

I'd be pushing very hard on both prices right now. As has been stated many times, there were some pretty nice new 08 Vrides on here a few months ago for mid 30's with trailer and many options.

I had an 06 Vride and loved it and now the 08 VLX and love it. Get out in both and give it a test drive and ride.

Peace.

Unless the 05 VLX is in really, really good shape otherwise the 08 Vride would be my choice.

Don't worry about bow ballast you can add it to either boat and it is not that hard...both boats need bow ballast.

If VLX does not have a ballast, can a stock ballast be installed later? Or anything that does not require a hand pump?

If VLX does not have a ballast, can a stock ballast be installed later? Or anything that does not require a hand pump?

I am just talkin bow ballast and all wiring is there thanks to Malibu.