Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast pump replacement?

While winterizing my '05 iRide I found that the fill pump for my MLS was making a high pitched whining noise. I'm assuming it will be a good idea to replace it prior to this coming season. If I'm going to replace it anyway, is there a higher volume pump anyone would recommend and where would you get it from? (Any idea what these cost?) Also, should the fill pump and exhaust pump be replaced in pairs, or just wait for the second to follow the first?

While winterizing my '05 iRide I found that the fill pump for my MLS was making a high pitched whining noise. I'm assuming it will be a good idea to replace it prior to this coming season. If I'm going to replace it anyway, is there a higher volume pump anyone would recommend and where would you get it from? (Any idea what these cost?) Also, should the fill pump and exhaust pump be replaced in pairs, or just wait for the second to follow the first?

if you are happy with the fill times and just want to replace with oe, you can by them here: Bakes on-line catalog, ballast

if you want to go with a 1200gph tsunami pump, then i would try here: Wakeside, ballast pumps

no need to replace in pairs.

How do you remove the hose from the old pump without breaking the plastic hose barb off the pump? I want to add the thru hull cut off's. The pumps are fine.

Is it best to just cut the hose right at the pump housing hose barb and then slice off the remaining hose off laterally?

You'll need to try to pull the plastic hose off without damaging the smooth part of the hose where it is attached to the pump. I'd try twisting the hose off of the pump. Bottom line is, when you go to reattach the hose to the pump, a smooth part of the hose has to be on the barb fitting of the pump. So, if you were to cut the hose at all, you'll have to go down 12" to the next smooth part and attach the hose there. Most people don't have this much extra hose slack in their boats.

You'll need to try to pull the plastic hose off without damaging the smooth part of the hose where it is attached to the pump. I'd try twisting the hose off of the pump. Bottom line is, when you go to reattach the hose to the pump, a smooth part of the hose has to be on the barb fitting of the pump. So, if you were to cut the hose at all, you'll have to go down 12" to the next smooth part and attach the hose there. Most people don't have this much extra hose slack in their boats.

Not sure I understand. The hose looks the same in all sections. I have a MY02 VLX

Sorry,

I assumed you had this type of hose for all your ballast system. It would be all black and plastic. (unlike what the picture kinda shows)

edit: as in the pic. every 12" in the hose the hose goes from being corrogated to a 2" long section that is smooth.

Edited by Pistol Pete