Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat show deal and questions...

OTN

All,

Went to the St. Louis Boat Show yesterday, got to speak from a guy directly from the Malibu factory who was really really helpful. I've posted here a couple of times about the VLX and slalom wake, and I think he convinced me to go with the VTX. Going to give up a bit of space, but it sounds like the VTX with a cut diamond hull is going to be one of the best v-drives around for slalom. So...my questions to The Crew:

1. Got a price for a 2009 VTX with tandem trailer, tower with top/board rack/ski rack, bow/center/stern ballast, heater/hot water shower- all in all pretty loaded: Just north of $60k. Opinions?

2. Being a techy geek, I love the MaliView. Love it. BUT, I don't have any experience owning a 2007/2008 VTX without one. What do you guys think? How much do you think it will add to those boats?

3. Wandered over to the Supra dealer, who talked up the Supra 20V and the Ski Nautique 211 as alternatives to the VTX. Now...I happen to really like Malibus, but have to do the due dilgence thing and ask. Why should I go with Malibu over those?

I'm testing out a 20' LSV on Friday (breaking out the full-hooded wetsuit, gloves, socks, etc) to get a feel of what the slalom wake is like behind their 20' cut diamond hull. I'll let you know what I think.

Thanks for your help!

t

All,

Went to the St. Louis Boat Show yesterday, got to speak from a guy directly from the Malibu factory who was really really helpful. I've posted here a couple of times about the VLX and slalom wake, and I think he convinced me to go with the VTX. Going to give up a bit of space, but it sounds like the VTX with a cut diamond hull is going to be one of the best v-drives around for slalom. So...my questions to The Crew:

1. Got a price for a 2009 VTX with tandem trailer, tower with top/board rack/ski rack, bow/center/stern ballast, heater/hot water shower- all in all pretty loaded: Just north of $60k. Opinions?

2. Being a techy geek, I love the MaliView. Love it. BUT, I don't have any experience owning a 2007/2008 VTX without one. What do you guys think? How much do you think it will add to those boats?

3. Wandered over to the Supra dealer, who talked up the Supra 20V and the Ski Nautique 211 as alternatives to the VTX. Now...I happen to really like Malibus, but have to do the due dilgence thing and ask. Why should I go with Malibu over those?

I'm testing out a 20' LSV on Friday (breaking out the full-hooded wetsuit, gloves, socks, etc) to get a feel of what the slalom wake is like behind their 20' cut diamond hull. I'll let you know what I think.

Thanks for your help!

t

1. That seems about right.

2. I (actually my wife) had to have it so I ordered it on my '09 vlx.

3. Not trying to be a wise guy, but I'm thinking you didn't look close enough at those two boats if you're asking that question. The fit and finish on a Malibu blows both of those boats out of the water. Take another look at even just the vinyl and attention to detail in the vtx and then go back and then re-visit the other two. I'm guessing the nautique has snap out carpet. I hate the look of a boat with snap out carpet. Check out the thickness and feel of the seat cushions. I'll bet you find that the Malibu is about an inch thicker.

1. Can't comment.

2. If you order an '09, you should get Maliview. I don't know that resale value will be the issue as much as actual sell-ability. An '09 is going to be very attractive & desirable due to Maliview, & those boats that don't have it will be sort of the white elephant. JMO

3. Drive them & ski behind them, that will show you the differences. Just food for thought though, most people that are knowledgeable about these boats (even if they're die-hard "other brand" guys) will acknowledge that for a long time Malibu has been the leader in crossover hull innovation.

I would be very interested in the quality of the slalom wake on the 20' lsv , let us know.

I'll let you guys know for sure- I'll even take some video if all goes well.

Thanks for the input. I could tell the Malibu was fit and finish above the other two, but, being a bit new to the scene, just wanted to make sure my impressions were correct.

I hear you 100% on the resellability of a boat with the Maliview. If they're going to start becoming pretty prevalent on Malibu boats, having a 2008 vs a 2009 several years from now might make things tough.

I never thought I would be seriously looking into buying a new boat, but I just feel as if the 2009 VTX is the right boat for me this year. Friday afternoon should tell me a decent amount. I'll keep you posted.

t

All,

Thanks for your help!

t

So you are looking for a V drive that has good slalom wakes? If that is really important to you, I would not plunk down the cash until you skied behind one - way to take one for the team in the cold! :-) Looking forward to your report! The SN 211 is supposed to have a very good slalom wake. It is touranment approved. So is the new MC 214V - which is a really roomy boat from the spec sheet.

I really want/need a crossover boat. I am looking for a direct drive, however, because i don't think I will find a V drive with a truely great slalom wake, and I love the response of a direct drive boat. I think the Response FXi, the Mastercraft 214/X-14, and the SN 216, are all on the list.

Good luck!

-- Mike