Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 Sportster LX Prop

tommyodolemite

The issue with SS is it's really hard. Good thing if you don't hit anything or if most of your debris is smaller water-soaked logs/branches. Problem is when you hit something substantial, the prop being such a hard material transfers a lot of the shock right up the driveline and can damage your driveshaft and transmission.

I have the same boat but I mainly slalom ski so you'd want different performance than me. Call or e-mail Max at Skier-To-Skier with you boat spec and what you want to do and he'll help you out. Bill at ACME is apparently a really good guy as well I just have no experience with him. The new OJ XMP CNC'd prop will run you ~$300 to your door from Skier-To-Skier.

Link Skier-To-Skier

Your father in law did you a favor baring any damage to the drive train.

I had the SS cvp on my boat (01 SLXi) untill this summer. The SlXi is supposed to have an awesome slalom wake however, I was dissapointed with the size and hardness of the rooster tail. It was extremely hard to hold an edge through it. After noticing a crack on one of the blades of the SS prop I decided to change props. After reading test info on this site and talking to other crew members, I decided to go with the OJ XMP from Skiertoskier.com. Wow was I surprised. The CNC prop from OJ is extremly smooth. Very little vibration. I went with a 13X11.5. I kept my WOT top speed and the boat is working a lot less hard at boarding speeds.

The biggest difference is the dissaperance of the rooster tail at slalom speeds. I was shocked the first time I cut for the entrance gates behind this prop. Now I can see why the SLXi gets its reputation for being an awesome slalom boat.

Acme is the current OEM prop for our boats. A lot of people really like them. I have not run one so I can't speek for them. I believe Martho did an extensive test between props on a response. That test data maybe of help to you.

Do a search for "OJ XMP" or "ACME" on this site.

Good luck. I think you will be glad that your ss prop was put out of its misery.

Edited by Lakenut
The older SLXi. I got a chance to ski behind the new bigger SLXi. Nice boat, lots of room, handles big water really well, marginal to unacceptable slalom wakes. Hold on to those old SLXi hulls, or when you sell them make sure you get a good price, because Malibu went to the dark side for the new one.

what he said... Vomit.gif

Hijack continued.....Did you get a chance to ski behind one before you bought your new RLXi? The new SlXi seemed really deep compared to the classic version. Hijack completed......

• 2 weeks later...

The previous post regarding SS vs Nibral props is accurate. SS is more expensive to buy, more expensive to repair and can tear up transmission/v-drive more easily. Which would you rather bend - your prop or your shaft/transmission/vdrive? I know the one I pick.....my prop. I like Acme, but it is much more important to size your prop to your boat/use than the manufacturer. I would start by figuring out what size/pitch was stock on your boat. Assuming that the OEM prop was what you sere running, did you exceed the max rpm with WOT?? If so, you need a higher number pitch. Were you happy with your hole shot?? If not, maybe you need a lower number pitch prop. Selecting the correct propeller size is a compromise between these two factors and what is the most important to you and your use. PS - I would not go with a diffenent diameter than your original OEM stock prop....just vary the pitch. A 13x17 prop is 13" in diameter and has a 17" pitch.

My 13 x 12 OJ XMP 3-blade will be here today. I'll let you know how it stacks up against the 13 x 14 4-blade Legend that was in my boat (until I bent it Cry.gif ).

That's a pretty light boat to prop down that far.

Decision was based on input from Max at Skier-to-Skier. I shouldn't lose much (if any) top end but my main concern was to firm up the pull while skiing. I'm not a big guy and I'm pulling 2+ mph off the boat in my turns. This should firm it up according to Max.

My problem now is I lost my third for today. Cry.gif I have a new toy and not enough people to go out and play. Cry.gif

At the risk of exposing my own malfeasance, I can't remember the last time Hoover and I actually had a 3rd show up.

Too many cranky old people living lalefront on our lake to try that. They'd call me in to security for sure. :(

Got it installed :) but have to work all week-end. Cry.gif I will be skiing with AddictedTo6 on Tuesday AM out at Stillwater Ranch so the review will have to wait until atleast Wednesday. :( (Maybe Tuesday PM if I don't wipe myself out completely with Kevin. Biggrin.gif )

What rpms were you carb guys running with the old cvp prop, I just bought a response with a 310 that is turning about 4700 rpms at WOT, around 46 mph. Can't wait to throw my acme prop on there.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
My 13 x 12 OJ XMP 3-blade will be here today.  I'll let you know how it stacks up against the 13 x 14 4-blade Legend that was in my boat (until I bent it Cry.gif ).

I'll be very interested in how you like it.

Yahoo.gif Finally, the light at the end of the tunnel. I'll be going out Friday at 6:30am to try my new prop. Yahoo.gif Got my new GPS too so I can get accurate #'s. Yahoo.gif Beats workin'. Biggrin.gif I'll let you know.

At the risk of exposing my own malfeasance, I can't remember the last time Hoover and I actually had a 3rd show up.

Too many cranky old people living lalefront on our lake to try that. They'd call me in to security for sure. :(

Bummer. I guess there could be an up side to trailering to the lake. And here I've always dreamed of living lakeside.

That would be awesome but the few areas in Cali that are along the water are so $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$....

My 13 x 12 OJ XMP 3-blade will be here today.  I'll let you know how it stacks up against the 13 x 14 4-blade Legend that was in my boat (until I bent it Cry.gif ).

I'll be very interested in how you like it.

Yahoo.gif Finally, the light at the end of the tunnel. I'll be going out Friday at 6:30am to try my new prop. Yahoo.gif Got my new GPS too so I can get accurate #'s. Yahoo.gif Beats workin'. Biggrin.gif I'll let you know.

Dude no one is on the lake on Friday no need to get up butt crack early.... ;)

I didn't do the whole test thing with all of the different rmp's at all the different speeds because as we were finishing up another boat showed up and I didn't want to chop up their water just for some mrginally useful info. I'll go out later and check rpm's at skiing speeds.

OJ XMP 13x12 3 Blade / 00 Sportster LX / 310 Carby

WOT 49.8 mph @ 4950 rpm (per GPS)

which means I lost 2.4 mph from my OJ Legend 13x14 4 blade

Holeshot has greatly increased Yahoo.gif I like a fast up but was wary of the increased holeshot so I had my driver "roll in to it" instead of jamming it. It was as quick as the old prop and jamming it. My second set I had him hit it hard and it was all I could do to hang on. Biggrin.gif I'm 6' ~160 lbs (not a big guy) so I come up out of the water pretty easily, I felt like I almost got air coming up out of the hole. :lol:

Holding power was also much improved. With my 4-blade I was able to pull almost two miles per hour off the boat if I 'J-Hooked' my turns. With the XMP I couldn't pull it down more than .6 mph.

Wake characteristics - At 32 mph I couldn't feel a difference at all, regardless of line length. At 34/15 the wake was slightly smaller and slightly softer. At 34/22 the wake started to impress me. Unfortuantely by that time I was also dog-tired.

I'll get more data later this week-end but suffice it to say that I'm pleased with my purchase for my use (mainly slalom). I'll get boarding info as well, eventually.