Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ran out of gas

obski

We had a great day out on the river today - about 5 hours total with virtually the entire river to ourselves. We keep the boat moored and with gas at the dock now up to $3.65 per gallon, we take 1 or 2 5-gallon cans down when we go. With the notoriously inaccurate Malibu fuel gauge I've had to guess as to how much is in the tank. I have assumed that we were ok by adding some gas every time. Today before heading out I added 9 to 10 gallons and proceeded to put 2 hours of fun on the boat and saw only about 2 other boats during that time. As I was heading to the dock to drop off someone, the boat suddenly lost power, sputtered and died - out of gas. Fortunately we were within sight of the gas dock and there happened to be another boat slowly cruising nearby. I tossed them my tow line and 5 minutes later we were at the dock gassing back up ready for some more fun.

I have obviously been using more gas than I thought I was. I'm sure I was today as we were wakesurfing and pulling tandem boarders as well. This is the first time I have run out of gas with this boat. I guess I need to make sure I always add both cans, or more if we are going to be out as long as we were today. Also makes one think about Doug's electric trolling motor as an emergency device.

Glad to hear there was someone around when you needed them! I think I'll fill the boat up before we go out next time...even though there should be enough.

Look at the bright side:  at least you didn't have to get towed by a jet ski.  Perish the thought.

I have experienced that four years ago, but it was before we owned the BU. :blush:

I still hear about today from one person that was out with me that day.

I always carry a spare petrol can with me.

A small one that fits under the observer's seat.

Just enough fuel to get me out of these situations.

Hmmm..

That might not be a bad idea. I have worried about the safety of carrying or leaving a can of gas in the boat, but perhaps leaving a small 1 or 2 gallon can would be ok. What do others do and/or think?

Look at the bright side:  at least you didn't have to get towed by a jet ski.  Perish the thought.

You know what? This very thought passed through my head. As the boat was sputtering to a halt, I looked up and saw a jet ski zipping by, but also saw the slow cruiser nearby.

Funny this would be mentioned. We were camping at the Okanagan this month and my son wanted to take the boat out. I told him that he may run out and fill it with the 2 cans sitting there. He didn't and you guessed it he ran out of gas. Luckily for us he did it in front of his friends place on the lake and was able to come back and get the two cans that were full. Laziness just doesn't pay. New project this year. Fix gas sender.....

Hmmm..

That might not be a bad idea. I have worried about the safety of carrying or leaving a can of gas in the boat, but perhaps leaving a small 1 or 2 gallon can would be ok. What do others do and/or think?

Not worth the risk - stop being so stingy and fill up that 35gal tank Tongue.gif Besides, you could use the extra ballast anyway.

Hmmm..

Not worth the risk - stop being so stingy and fill up that 35gal tank Tongue.gif Besides, you could use the extra ballast anyway.

It's the skier in him trying to get out Tongue.gif

Hmmm..

It's not really being stingy, well maybe a little bit. We have been bringing down gas cans every time out, but due to the most excellent fuel gauge provided by Malibu, I wasn't sure just where I stood. The gas dock is only open 12-7 and we go many times outside of those hours. During the spring and fall they only have hours during the weekend.

I was assuming that we had been keeping up with the consumption, and in fact, had been thinking that I was running with a near full tank. I previously watched the hour meter as a fairly accurate measure of consumption, but that has been difficult with the way we have been using the boat this year.

You're probably right, I should just suck it up and fill up at the dock occasionally anyway.

Hmmm..

It's not really being stingy, well maybe a little bit. We have been bringing down gas cans every time out, but due to the most excellent fuel gauge provided by Malibu, I wasn't sure just where I stood. The gas dock is only open 12-7 and we go many times outside of those hours. During the spring and fall they only have hours during the weekend.

I was assuming that we had been keeping up with the consumption, and in fact, had been thinking that I was running with a near full tank. I previously watched the hour meter as a fairly accurate measure of consumption, but that has been difficult with the way we have been using the boat this year.

You're probably right, I should just suck it up and fill up at the dock occasionally anyway.

Just givin you a hard time David... but doesn't it seem funny to talk about carying 1-2gal when you have 35gal tank built in, and you typically only go out for a couple hours.. Biggrin.gif

Can you see the tank on your boat when you lift the center back seat (by the v-drive)? That is where I verify the fuel level..

Just givin you a hard time David... but doesn't it seem funny to talk about carying 1-2gal when you have 35gal tank built in, and you typically only go out for a couple hours..  Biggrin.gif

Can you see the tank on your boat when you lift the center back seat (by the v-drive)?  That is where I verify the fuel level..

No problem, I'm a big boy and can take it :) .

I don't know if I can see the fuel tank or not. Seems like I have checked into this before and couldn't, but I will have to check again.

Unfortunately we were pulled in by a jetski last weekend after wrapping the rope around the prop shaft. :blush:Mad.gif It is amazing how quickly and how tightly the rope wraps around the shaft. I tried to cut the rope of but no luck in the water, lucky for me we were the only other people on the lake, so no one got to see our ordeal with the jetski Innocent.gif

Unfortunately we were pulled in by a jetski last weekend after wrapping the rope around the prop shaft. :blush:Mad.gif It is amazing how quickly and how tightly the rope wraps around the shaft. I tried to cut the rope of but no luck in the water, lucky for me we were the only other people on the lake, so no one got to see our ordeal with the jetski Innocent.gif

Oh my. Major bummer! I am so sorry for you. I bet that guy with the jetski was lovin' that.

Did you have your dive mask and folding sharp serrated knife with lanyard attached to your wrist?

Oddly enuff my fuel gage has worked OK so far.

But I have never owned a boat where one actually did work so I am well accustomed to filling up before leaving the marina.

But now we've started going out on Wednesday nites and the gas dock closes before I get there so I've been risking it.

The teleflex fuel sender installation is easy, cheap, and would give you the functioning fuel guage your heart desires...I know, I did it and it's like I have a whole new boat...

This is something I should look into doing. I'll have to look at the DIY article again.

My VLX has the most accurate fuel guage of any boat ever made. When I want to know how much gas I have left, I lift up the rear seat cushion and look at the gas tank for the teltale darker shade that is gas. It only takes 10 seconds and I know exactly where I stand. With a little experience, I can estimate to within a gallon or two how much gas is left when I am running low.

Score one for the V-Drives!!!!!

The teleflex fuel sender installation is easy, cheap, and would give you the functioning fuel guage your heart desires...I know, I did it and it's like I have a whole new boat...

This is something I should look into doing. I'll have to look at the DIY article again.

Seriously, this is an easy mod, and well worth the effort. I love the fact that I put a 5 gal can of gas into a 41 gal tank and the gauge goes up by 1/8. I no longer have to fear thinking I've got at least 1/2 tank when in reality I'm down to the last 4 gal. Like rts said, it's like having a whole new boat. Yahoo.gif

.  With the notoriously inaccurate Malibu fuel gauge I've had to guess as to how much is in the tank.

My fuel guage is very accurate (part of the MMC)...but

The best thing about the XTi is that if I have any question on the gas tank level, I can just lift the back seat cushion and look Crazy.gif

Dave

Edited by RoverOn