Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Radar "Rail" binding

Guest GalaxyToad

Guest GalaxyToad

I love the radar plate system that the company developed to retain boot separation while enabling 1/8” fwd and back adjustment. At the end of last season I took my traditional boots off (~3lbs each) and replaced them with the RS-1 double boot system (~3lbs total). It dramatically lightened the entire set-up and made adjustments a breeze. My problem so far has been the feeling of being “on top” of the ski instead of part of the ski. It’s not bad, just different. For me it’s been the combination of hyper sensitive edge without the super tight, totally wrapped up foot thing that you might think is required for that trait.

Complicating the situation is my desire to compete not only at my tournament maximum speed, but also in wide-ride. One solution would be continuously swapping the RS-1’s from ski to ski, another would be spring for another complete set of RS-1’s and watch the wife unit stroke out when the credit card charge pops up.

Punch line: I can’t find ANY news at all about anyone riding radar’s Rail boots so I called my buddy (and every skier’s friend) Doug Meeker out at the liquid edge and he sent me a set for a VERY competitive price. I married them up with a 1st generation plate and stuffed my flippers in them. Where the #ell have these things been?!? They appear to be very supportive, ridiculously comfortable and super easy to get in and out of.

Anyone in a binding dilemma for next year needs to take a long hard look at these boots. If they work half as well as they feel on the foot they’re going to be moved over to my primary ski as 1st string gear.

post-140-1234566162_thumb.jpg

Edited by GalaxyToad

I liked the rail when trying to decide between the Rail & RS1 last fall.

I decided to go with the RS1 as the Rails I tried seemed a bit broad across the base of the foot and would allow more movement than I wanted.

I can fully understand the wife stroking out from a credit card charge... :)

I also only have one current ski, though I do have a wakeboard to keep repaired.

Let us know how they work once you get out on them.

I replaced my HO Venoms this year with the Rails. The Venoms got torn apart at the end of last year. I have not had a chance to try out the Rails on the ski, but they sure felt good at the boat show. I have a friend who put some Rails on his Triumph last year and he has really liked them. I'm looking forward to trying them out.

Anyone here able to give a hands on comparison between the Rails and D3 Hiwraps? GT? I've used the D3's for years and love 'em but I'm interested in a new set of binders this season and would like to know how the Rails compare if possible. Thanks for all/any input.

Ed