Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Attention 383 Hammerhead Owners

Engine Nut

WG.....thank you for the interest! For me this is going to be a long project and I'm not sure when I will get started on the actual conversion. Right now I'm in the information gathering stage. I do have many of the parts to start the engine assembly but I don't foresee even getting started on that until next fall. I'm keeping a live document of everything I find out including parts needed, sources and specs. I will start a new thread dedicated to this project and keep that going as well. One thing I'll say now is that my engine will not be built exactly to the HH383/ZZ383 spec. That's not because I don't believe this is a good starting point.......quite the contrary......the ZZ383 is a collection of some of GM's premium parts. I think If I hadn't already started my parts collection 3 years ago I WOULD go ahead and shell out the $6500.00 for the ZZ383 crate engine. But I have most of the parts and I'm not in a hurry so I'll just use what I have and get the rest as a approach those bridges in this journey.

I'm not sure if I have privs to start new threads on this site. I haven't donated in a couple years. Feel free to cut this post and paste it into an new thread for this topic.

Cool. BTW, slight hijack, but how's she running?

Hijack On.

WG,

Rosie is running just as smooth and strong as the day we brought her home, zero oil burn either, still running 20W50. Cosmetically, everything is exactly the same with the exception of some new ballast pumps and a G3 tower.

Nutty, that's a cool build you're planning on doing. I've got a friend with a 350 that was talking about doing the same thing. Keep us posted once you get started. I'm in Phx so if you need anything, spec wise, just holla!

Hijack off.

• 6 months later...

I purchased an 08 21 XTi with the HH383 at the end of this summer. Found this thread recently, and since I was not familiar with the history of this boat/motor, I contacted Indmar with the engine serial number. Within 2 days I had the new dipstick in my hand. Considering that this original post was made back in 09, was not sure if I'd even get a response - but they responded quickly! I think that's customer service that's worth giving a shout out about.

Now I just can't wait to get it back out of storage in the Spring and use it!!!

• Like 3
  • 5 months later...

Ryan, the program for sending new dipsticks has ended. First you need to check if your dipstick was replaced already. If it has it will have a part number stamped on it that ends with the numbers 383. If your dipstick does not have 383 on it, all you need to do is to fill the engine with oil to the full mark on the dipstick, then add an additional quart/liter of oil. Make a mark on the dipstick and use that mark as your new full mark. That will give you the same oil level as the replacement dipstick.

Larry Engelbert

Indmar Customer Service

Indmar Products

5400 Old Millington Rd.

Millington, TN 38053

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

(hijacking thread)Larry, Since you work for Indmar - you guys should come up with a supercharger kit to make the 350 a 475hp engine. Then all the folks with the 350 could surf loaded and still have a 30mph cruise. 8k is what I'd like to spend - maybe talk to whipple.

• 10 months later...
  • 10 months later...
MalibuNation

@Afastmotorider,

Just wanted to make sure.  Have your dealer order a new dip stick for you. The replacement dipstick is P/N 550383 stamped on it.  If you're not the original owner please check to make sure you don't already have the new one.  Thanks!!

• 2 years later...

I know this topic is old and has been beat to death, but does anyone have any online options to obtain the correct dipstick?  I just picked up my boat recently and the dipstick was never replaced.  I have searched the web for the above part number with no success, stopping by the local dealer was a bust too.  Guy had ZERO idea what I was talking about. 

6 hours ago, jonthefireman said:

I know this topic is old and has been beat to death, but does anyone have any online options to obtain the correct dipstick?  I just picked up my boat recently and the dipstick was never replaced.  I have searched the web for the above part number with no success, stopping by the local dealer was a bust too.  Guy had ZERO idea what I was talking about. 

fill it to the full mark, add another quart, and etch that level into the dipstick.  

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Ndawg12 said:

fill it to the full mark, add another quart, and etch that level into the dipstick.  

No doubt, I just have over the top OCD and like things proper! :Frustrated:

On 11/1/2019 at 12:04 PM, Ndawg12 said:

I drilled a little hole instead of etching a line. 

If that gives you OCD then a 12 year old boat is going to put you either in the poor house or on meds. 

Proper is not on the shelves any more most of the time.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, wakesonthesnake said:

I drilled a little hole instead of etching a line. 

If that gives you OCD then a 12 year old boat is going to put you either in the poor house or on meds. 

Proper is not on the shelves any more most of the time.

Probably both, most likely end with a new model!  The boat is in really good shape, I've done a complete "tune up" to include engine oil/filter, plugs, plug wires, dist cap and rotor, PCV valve, cleaned the air filter, new impeller, changed the trans fluid, and fixed any loose nut or bolt I could find.  I can't think of anything else to do, even put new tires on the trailer, but I'm open to suggestions.  Prob put a FAE on before spring, and I'm jonesn' to do Seadek or Gatorstep next.  :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

No issues at all with my 07 Hammerhead.  Engine is in a response LX.  Zero oil burn, high compression at just under 400hrs.  Boat pulls 85KPH.  I have FAE but am in the process of removing and going back to turn downs.  

My only prob is the ECU isn't Econtrol compatible.  The 07 is a grey year for ECM compatibility even though the TBW system is. 

If only there was a 383 HH wakesetter owner somewhere who doesn't need the Econtrol ECM.  I'd really like to add Zero off but cant until I replace the ECM which is looking virtually impossible.

Gaah....

10 hours ago, Westy76 said:

No issues at all with my 07 Hammerhead.  Engine is in a response LX.  Zero oil burn, high compression at just under 400hrs.  Boat pulls 85KPH.  I have FAE but am in the process of removing and going back to turn downs.  

My only prob is the ECU isn't Econtrol compatible.  The 07 is a grey year for ECM compatibility even though the TBW system is. 

If only there was a 383 HH wakesetter owner somewhere who doesn't need the Econtrol ECM.  I'd really like to add Zero off but cant until I replace the ECM which is looking virtually impossible.

Gaah....

Have you tried PP with Zbox? That's what's on my Response LX and I can't tell a difference back to back with a ZO boat. 

Plus you can turn off the Zbox easily if you have skiers who don't want the throttle up. 

13 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Have you tried PP with Zbox? That's what's on my Response LX and I can't tell a difference back to back with a ZO boat. 

Plus you can turn off the Zbox easily if you have skiers who don't want the throttle up. 

I have access to boats with both PP with ZBox and  Zero Off, Zero is my choice hands down the same as my ski buddies.  So for my boat I really prefer ZO.  Less experienced drivers still struggle grabbing the set speeds with PP.  ZO is pretty much impossible to mess up.  Our lake has very short run ins.

If it ends up being my only choice then so be it, but not until I exhaust all avenues for an Econtrol ecm.

Well I think I’ve drawn the last straw trying to replace the ECM.  

looks more and more like PP with Zbox.  

ive just removed my FAE as well and gone back to turn downs.  Lost too much top end for my barefoot crew.  

Not much around that sounds like a 383 at full noise.  Just need to keep the spare fuel close 😆

• Like 2