Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Attention 383 Hammerhead Owners

Engine Nut

A couple of weeks ago we started sending replacement dipsticks and a copy of the letter below to owners of boats powered by Indmar 383 Hammerhead engined below engine serial number 155344. We got the owner information from Malibu and I am sure we missed a few. If you are the owner of a 383 powered boat that has an engine serial number below 155344 and you have not received a dipstick in the mail, send an e-mail to [email protected] with the following information:

Indmar Engine Serial Number

Name

Address

City, State/Provence, Zip/Postal Code

Larry Engelbert

Director of Customer Service

Indmar Marine Engines

Indmar Products

5400 Old Millington Rd

Millington, TN 38053

Phone 901-353-9930

E-Mail: [email protected]

Dear Malibu/Indmar Customer:

Our records indicate that you are the owner of a Malibu boat powered by an Indmar built Hammerhead 383 engine. This is a very special engine that we only build for Malibu.

The 383 engine is a production “performance” engine that is built with performance components. It has a special crankshaft, pistons, rings, camshaft and cylinder heads to enhance its performance.

High performance engines may consume oil at a higher rate than a standard engine like the Malibu Monsoon. This will not reduce the reliability or longevity of your engine; it simply is a design characteristic. Because of the possibility of higher oil consumption, it is critical that you check the oil level regularly and keep your oil pan full of oil.

Indmar is supplying you with a new oil dipstick for your engine. By using this new dipstick and keeping the oil level at the full mark, there will be slightly more oil in the engine than there was before giving you an added safety margin to ensure the oil level does not drop dangerously low and damage your engine. We can’t tell you exactly how much oil your engine will hold because every engine/boat is a little different. Generally, with a filter change, your engine will hold between 5 and 6 quarts. The important thing is to fill it to the full mark on the dipstick.

Please install this new dipstick and add a sufficient amount of oil to bring the level to the full mark. Please discard the old dipstick so it does not accidentally get put back into the engine.

If you no longer own the boat and you know the name and address of the current owner, please supply us with that information so we may send a dipstick to the current owner. You can e-mail that information to: [email protected].

Thank you for being a Malibu/Indmar customer. We want to ensure your satisfaction by offering this simple upgrade. Good luck and happy boating.

Sincerely,

Team Indmar

Thanks Larry, received mine today in the mail...

Did they change something with the newer engines or was there a reason you can detail that all of a sudden they sent these out? I know folks in the past have noted that the 383 has the potential to use oil, ours did until we switched oil per dealer recommendation and now we only are down a little bit between changes.

Appreciate any additional insight.

- Chris

Edited by cmorgani
Thanks Larry, received mine today in the mail...

Did they change something with the newer engines or was there a reason you can detail that all of a sudden they sent these out? I know folks in the past have noted that the 383 has the potential to use oil, ours did until we switched oil per dealer recommendation and now we only are down a little bit between changes.

Appreciate any additional insight.

- Chris

I was fighting an oil pressure problem every time I came off plane. The oil pressure would drop to near 0 psi. I worked with Indmar and Malibu to figure out a cure. The only thing they came up with was to add an extra quart of oil. This was three years ago when I first got my HH. My dipstick was remarked by the dealer to show this new level. I am happy that Indmar has offered new, proper dipsticks to show this change, although I am uncertain if it is a fix or a bandaid.

That being said, I received my new dipstick in the mail this week....with 34 cents postage due! No such thing as a free lunch.......

After having read all the oil troubles with the Hammerhead. I am pleasantly pleased that I haven't have any problems with oil consumption with mine the first season. I will install the new dipstick but to date my engine has been great and no oil burn. The only trouble has been getting most of the oil out during an oil change.

Mine is the Hammerhead but the "older style"...so not sure if this affects me or not. I doubt it applies to the 380HP, 5.7 HH of 2004.

Please advise,

After having read all the oil troubles with the Hammerhead. I am pleasantly pleased that I haven't have any problems with oil consumption with mine the first season. I will install the new dipstick but to date my engine has been great and no oil burn. The only trouble has been getting most of the oil out during an oil change.
Mine is the Hammerhead but the "older style"...so not sure if this affects me or not. I doubt it applies to the 380HP, 5.7 HH of 2004.

Please advise,

Nope - completely different engine with a completely different set of potential problems.

Got mine over the weekend. Our oil pressure issues (if you can call it that) were somewhat rectified by using 20/50 synthetic after 100 hours. The synthetic just seems to have better life & will hold up to the end of the 50 hour cycle better vs. standard. YMMV of course. I've never had any oil consumption with this engine at all.

I have to echo kb3's thoughts of whether this is a true fix or just a band aid.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2007 Sunscape with the 400hp Hammerhead. I have not received a dipstick yet. Does this apply to me and I just haven't gotten the new dipstick yet or am I to assume I am ok? Thanks for the info

Still haven't heard anything about ours yet... Can anyone clarify whether or not us Canucks are included?

• 1 year later...

Following up this issue - I got the new dipstick and installed it last year. I also switched my oil to conventional at the same time. I had been using synthetic until I read here that was not recommended for these engines. I filled the engine to the fill mark on the new dipstick.

Since - I have been getting a low oil pressure warning on deceleration, occasionally. I understand that was the purpose of the new dipstick, but my results seem to opposite. Wonder if it related to oil, or if I did some damage running synthetic.

Any suggestions?

Following up this issue - I got the new dipstick and installed it last year. I also switched my oil to conventional at the same time. I had been using synthetic until I read here that was not recommended for these engines. I filled the engine to the fill mark on the new dipstick.

Since - I have been getting a low oil pressure warning on deceleration, occasionally. I understand that was the purpose of the new dipstick, but my results seem to opposite. Wonder if it related to oil, or if I did some damage running synthetic.

Any suggestions?

I HIGHLY doubt running synthetic hurt anything. I also think it is a MYTH for someone to say it is "bad" to run synthetic in your HH motor. What oil weight are you running? A heavier weight oil may help your oil pressure warnings.

The only time that I've ever seen it mentioned (by anyone that knows what they're talking about that is) that you shouldn't use synthetic is within the first 100 hours. But even that, with this engine, I'm just not convinced is something to worry about.

I HIGHLY doubt running synthetic hurt anything. I also think it is a MYTH for someone to say it is "bad" to run synthetic in your HH motor. What oil weight are you running? A heavier weight oil may help your oil pressure warnings.

I agree with wit the synthetic all the NASCAR and NSRA teams are using it. With the price of there motors and money at stake, if it was didn't work they would not be using it even if there sponsors are oil company's

the dino oil in there is straight 10-30. I am not sure on synthetic, but probably ran 5-30 since that is more common. All my cars now run 5-20 synthetic (recommended) so I don't usually buy anything else.

the dino oil in there is straight 10-30. I am not sure on synthetic, but probably ran 5-30 since that is more common. All my cars now run 5-20 synthetic (recommended) so I don't usually buy anything else.

You are running a weight that is WAY to low for your boat. You should be running at least 15w 40. That is most likely your problem. This motor runs at a lower operating temp than a car, but the oil gets hotter than a cars oil does. Malibu recommends at least Penzoil Marine 15w 40. I've used all different brands, but never less than a 15w.

Time for an oil change!

Edited by areamike
  • 1 month later...

My 2006 HH has 40W Pennzoil Marine on the fill cap. I also looked on the Indmar website and it was listed that this motor should use straight 40W.

• 2 weeks later...

It seams impossible to get all the oil out. Ive tried tilting all kinds of angles two differant pumps all while the oil is worm. I think there is a special one quart hiding spot some ware in the motor block. If you ever figure out how to drain it PLEASE let me know.

Thanks

LKGC

• 3 months later...

It seams impossible to get all the oil out. Ive tried tilting all kinds of angles two differant pumps all while the oil is worm. I think there is a special one quart hiding spot some ware in the motor block. If you ever figure out how to drain it PLEASE let me know.

Thanks

LKGC

To get all the oil out you need to jack up one side of the boat (opposite side of drain). We us to just drive the trailer up on a couple of blocks. Engine oil should at least be warm. That is how we needed to do it on my 05 LSV at least.

To get all the oil out you need to jack up one side of the boat (opposite side of drain). We us to just drive the trailer up on a couple of blocks. Engine oil should at least be warm. That is how we needed to do it on my 05 LSV at least.

someone said they add a quart of oil after they have got as much oil out as they can. Apparently the added oil pushes more of the dirty oil out. can't remember who or where i saw that though, it might have been WG.

That's what we do at Bake's, we just made a couple wedge blocks to drive the trailer onto so all the oil drains to the side of the oil pan.

someone said they add a quart of oil after they have got as much oil out as they can. Apparently the added oil pushes more of the dirty oil out. can't remember who or where i saw that though, it might have been WG.

I've heard of people doing that too, makes sense but its just as easy to to drive the trailer on blocks to tilt the motor over more.

-Paul