Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

J.D. Power Awards 2009

Kingfish

Just had a quick look and for the 2009 Ski Wakeboard Boat Ratings it was: 1) Nautique, 2) Mastercraft, 3) Malibu

I see in the 2009 Marine Engine Study it was: 1) PCM, 2) I/B EFI Four Strokes, 3) Indamar

According to J.D. Power their ratings are based on consumer and business to business customers.

I thought Malibu & Indamar would have rated higher than third place. So what do you think about the results.

I think those stats are compiled from only 9000 people, which makes it real hard to get an accurate bead on what people actually think, especially when certain manufacturers campaign for feedback and Malibu doesn't.

To be honest I know very little about how the surveys are performed other than what I have read on their site.

"Syndicated research is based on an industry assessment via a survey of the customers in that sector. To maintain an independent and unbiased perspective, J.D. Power and Associates funds all of its own syndicated research.

This type of research, based on unfiltered consumer feedback, delivers an accurate portrayal of how well an industry is listening to the voices of its customers."

If one boat manufacturer is soliciting and another not than that would skew the final results.

We end up having this same discussion every year. Let's not get too hung up on this guys. It really means very little. In the end you could probably flip a coin any given year and give any of the big three the number one spot.

Malibu won't. They stopped signing up for it. It costs something like $30,000 for JD power to do a full review. If you don't sign up, it doesn't necessarily mean that JD Power won't look at you, it means they won't look as hard. It's interesting, when Malibu stopped paying, their scores plummeted

edgeski, I thought it was WAY more than $30k to take part in this. I wish I could remember for sure but the amount was totally ridiculous. I thought it was over $100k or maybe just $60K...don't quote me; i'll see if I can find out because it's bugging me. Also the 9000 people used was for all segments of the marine industry, not just the inboards. Everything from 2 stroke DI to 4 stroke outboards, big boats and runabouts etc.

I called JD Edwards last year and got the exact points outlay differences out out a perfect 1000 pts.

In 2008, difference of points between 2nd and 3rd points was less than 10 points. Not a whole lot of difference when you think fit and finish, quality, performance, interior, exterior, engine... So I would almost think this year the point difference is even closer. Almost a Tie !!!

Can someone call JS Edwards and find out the point standings were for 2009. That is the only info they will give out.

I am too busy right now to do this.. sorry but I thought the information would be valuable.

As was pointed out there are lots of threads on this already; I'll do some reading.

So if the JD award is not that relevant then does the "Tow Boat Of the Year" Award that Malibu receives mean very little as well?

interesting, I was just at a boat show looking at the tige' display , first thing the guys said was that the pcm engine won the J D powers award. Boats were pretty nice but the upholstery was a little loose and baggy in spots.

I think accuracy is where i take issue , they take only one sampling versus nmma takes the purchase and one year later .

Ive always wondered how in anyone year example , toyota camry will be awarded best in class and then same year nissan altima will be awarded best in class, you read the magazine fine print at the bottom and it says first 90 days of ownership for one and first 120 days of owernership for the other , so I guess all they do is adjust the numbers to make you number one .

When I first started looking for a VDrive I referenced the JD Power awards and to be honest was swayed by the results. I did my visit to all the dealers, looked and test drove and finally ended up choosing Malibu. Both MC and CC are great boats; in the end the Malibu dealership, boat layout, quality and test drive were the deciding factors.

I still look at the JD results and wonder if I missed something.

JD Powers awards are a total joke and don't mean crap.

The data behind it might be a magic show, but the public perception does look at JD Powers as a layer of "value". It gets people in the front door and must have some value else the top two would not pay JDPowers. And I'm pretty sure many average people have no idea how the numbers are tabulated. I know I didn't know until joining this site years ago.

I also have heard most of the "best in class" labels are very highly paid spots. Just need to hold the mirrors at the correct angle and insert a little smoke (aka cash). :)

MC and Malibu use Indmar but not always the same engine, exp. MC uses the LQ9 6.0l for 400hp, and Malibu uses the 6.2l hamerhead for 400hp, this can sometimes make a difference on the engine survey.

Well I went back through some of the previous threads on this topic and comments ranged around:

received the form but never sent it in.

Malibu sales speak for themselves

Put no stock in statistics

No faith in JD Power or Consumer Reports

Never got the survey form

the report is garbage

CC owners think so highly of their boats as they sit in the driveway and not on the water

Pretty much everything digresses in the last few pages of the longest thread on this topic. I didn't see much for fact or useful info other than what "ddeluca" pointed out above and a mention of cost to the company. I don't really see how $30K would turn Malibu off from that kind of advertising but thats me. If the numbers at the end of the day are that close then yeah it means very little.

Well I sent an email off to JD Power requesting information on 2009 points standings for CC, MC, BU and here is their reply:

"Thank you for your e-mail. The information you are requesting is only available to clients within the industry. Everything on our Web site is what we have publicly available. "

I tried.

Well I sent an email off to JD Power requesting information on 2009 points standings for CC, MC, BU and here is their reply:

"Thank you for your e-mail. The information you are requesting is only available to clients within the industry. Everything on our Web site is what we have publicly available. "

I tried.

If they won't be transparent with the data then I simply refuse to beleive anything about it.

Well I went back through some of the previous threads on this topic and comments ranged around:

received the form but never sent it in.

Malibu sales speak for themselves

Put no stock in statistics

No faith in JD Power or Consumer Reports

Never got the survey form

the report is garbage

CC owners think so highly of their boats as they sit in the driveway and not on the water

Pretty much everything digresses in the last few pages of the longest thread on this topic. I didn't see much for fact or useful info other than what "ddeluca" pointed out above and a mention of cost to the company. I don't really see how $30K would turn Malibu off from that kind of advertising but thats me. If the numbers at the end of the day are that close then yeah it means very little.

I think that to put a point on it, it's hard to believe or put stock in a company that is reviewing these products when they are being paid to review them by the companies that manufacture the products under review. And while $30k (if that's really what the charge is) isn't a huge amount for these companies (in the grand scheme of things), it can hardly be called a nominal review fee. That sort of goes against any semblance of objectivity to my mind & IMO is a huge conflict of interest. To take it further, Malibudude's point about transparency is valid. If they're not going to be up front about this, how much value can you really attach to the data?

To me, it says a lot more that Malibu came in a close third without paying than it says about CC & MC taking 1 & 2 after ponying up. JMO

Kingfish

If you have time, get the JD Edwards phone # off the web and give them a call.

Ask them about the actual differences in total points from the top 3 or 4 boat manufactures.

You should hear what a perfect score is 1000 pts and where CC MC and MB ended up and how close they were for 2008.

regards

DDeLuca

I have little faith in the JDP Reports, boats or otherwise.

When I sold Sea Ray, they spent half a day in sales training teaching how to sell against it. Cobalt was #1 at the time, and we were told it was 100K+ to use their logo and the 'results'. The next year Sea Ray was #1, and we spent another 4 hrs learning how to sell it. It was a joke.

I have little faith in the JDP Reports, boats or otherwise.

When I sold Sea Ray, they spent half a day in sales training teaching how to sell against it. Cobalt was #1 at the time, and we were told it was 100K+ to use their logo and the 'results'. The next year Sea Ray was #1, and we spent another 4 hrs learning how to sell it. It was a joke.

Good point. We had a Cobalt back in those days and trust me, they used JD Power a lot and had the cardboard cutout of the awards lined up, etc.

I'm not in sales, but isn't that about true for anything? Sometimes it's all about the spin. Perceived value is a valuable thing no matter if reality or not.

For me, I can't say enough about Malibu's. I bought my last two BU's knowing my dealer was over 3 hours away while a Nautique dealer was .5 mile down the lake.

RE: JDP's data, No surprise they would not give out any detailed data, but would think they could give an idea of the deviation among the top 3.