Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which Malibu to Buy??

Hydrogasm

I am looking at buying a used Malibu boat. My main interest in slalom skiing (bought a portable course that I left in all last summer on the lake we live on) but I do wakeboard occassionaly. The boats I am looking at are '93-97 Echelons, '98-00 Sportsters, '96-02 Responses and '95-98 Sunsetters. Since my main interest in slalom, the flatter the wake the better, so I would assume the Sportster would be the smallest because it is the lightest but the Sunsetter would track better because it is the heaviest. My wife drives when I ski, so tracking on hard pulls would be an asset. I would like to hear from anyone with experience with any or all of these boats that could answer my questions.

Thanks

Gary

I would go with a '99 or newer Response if I were you. It will have the Diamond hull, so the wake will be slightly better than the first generation Response or Sportster (both of which have the SV23 hull), and of course better than the Sunsetter. It's a roomy boat for it's size, tracks really well in the course, and has lots of storage (not that you need it, since it sounds like you ski from your dock). Plus, with a Wedge and a little ballast it's got a very good wakeboarding wake, and you won't be sinking it up to the rubrail.

SkiCrave

That was the direction I was thinking but I wanted some options in case I can't find one nearby in my price range. I do live on the lake , so storage is not critical but the storage locker on the back is great for keeping all the skiis in when we go out.

I welcome any other comments.

Thanks

Gary

DodgyKiwi

I don't have a set price in mind. Like everyone I am looking for the bset bang for my buck. Asking prices are all over the map and sellers haven't realized just how many boats are out there for sale. Some have had their boats for sale for over a year but they haven't changed their price. I can buy anytime for the right deal.

Thanks

Gary

I've got the same mindset at the moment......except for the able to buy now part haha!

However, there are lots of responses for sale on boattrader.com and onlyinboards.com - I've seen a gorgeous looking 04 RLXi for $25k.....with 750 hours though.

The Response can't be beat for wake. Questions; are you looking for open bow or closed? if open, walk through or walk over? If, open walk through is important, then the Echelon would be your choice or you would go to the RLXi.

I have looked at both closed and open bow. I had a Moomba Outback last summer and I only had people up front once or twice, so I can go either way. I would prefer a walk-through open bow but I won't let that be the deciding factor. Keep your comments coming.

Thanks

Gary

Since you may wakeboard some, the larger boat that the walk through would be, will also help slightly on the wakes for that sport, especially with a wedge. If you were hardcore slalom and had no interest in wakeboarding, the closed bow Response or the playpen bow Response LX series would be the ticket. The Response LXI (true walk through) was not made until 2003 in case that matters price wise, but would be an awesome machine greatly favoring a slalom wake. Judging from the boats and the years you listed, the price of a newer Response such as the LXI may surpass the examples you mentioned.

One notch from that would be a 99-04 DD Sunsetter LXI (SV23 Diamond hull) which provides near world class slalom wakes and gives a better wakeboard wake than the Response, its a really great crossover boat that still favors slalom.

Whether it is; docking, anchoring off the bow, riding people up front or loading/unloading from the trailer, the convenience of the walk through is unsurpassed in my opinion. Unless of course you want a slalom exclusive machine that few people ride in at the same time.

My .02 (my Sunsetter tracks great btw, wifey drives me too)

Edited by lakewaterjunky

If you don't need an open bow the Sporty is a great slalom boat, and is one of the best barefoot boats ever made. I have a 99 sporty and it tracks pretty good in the course. I have pulled some pretty big guys and never had any problems keeping the boat on track. Also, the Sporty will have more top end speed, mine will do 49mph.

Gibbo

Gibbo

One of my top picks so far is a '98 Sportster LX. I just want to get more info before I pull the trigger.

Thanks for your input

Gary