Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bigger ballast pumps?

Boomer

Ok, I always thought my ballast pumps were fine, until I went to a wakeboard tourney a couple weeks back, and saw the X2 they were using turn on the pumps to drain the tanks.

HOLY COW, the water shot out the side like a small firehose, with lots of pressure. I mean it hit the lake like 8-feet out from the boat, in almost a straight line with no arc.

I have no idea if the pumps in the thing were stock, but man they moved water. Almost looked like it was moving the boat from the thrust. Biggrin.gif

Wonder if there is anything like that to fit in place of the stock pumps in my VLX? The big middle tank takes a while to drain/fill.

Ok, I always thought my ballast pumps were fine, until I went to a wakeboard tourney a couple weeks back, and saw the X2 they were using turn on the pumps to drain the tanks.

HOLY COW, the water shot out the side like a small firehose, with lots of pressure. I mean it hit the lake like 8-feet out from the boat, in almost a straight line with no arc.

I have no idea if the pumps in the thing were stock, but man they moved water. Almost looked like it was moving the boat from the thrust.  Biggrin.gif

Wonder if there is anything like that to fit in place of the stock pumps in my VLX? The big middle tank takes a while to drain/fill.

if i had auto ballast(and a lot of it) i'd want some 3000gph pumps running.

i ride sometimes with a guy that has a 05 x-2 i know what ya mean about the water shooting out with more pressure,,but if i remember right,,i think it had to do with multiple pumps sharing the same discharge line.

Well, that could be the case, hmmm. However, for a while it had two streams shooting out...

Wakensnow, now THAT'S a ballast pump. :)

I think MC uses Jabsco Ballast Puppies(reversible). I thought I heard that somewhere. Dontknow.gif

If you use an impeller pump like that (rather than the aerators that come stock) then you'll probably need to wire in relays since the amp draw will likely be too much (at least on startup) for your switches to handle.

Let's see, the 500 lb center tank in my vlx should be about 60 gallons. So a 1000gph pump would fill or empty that in 3.6 minutes? Me likey. :)

Or if you could get a 2000 gph pump to work, 1.8 minutes. YES!

Of course I highly doubt the stock fittings could flow that much water.

That pump has a 1 1/2" outlet. Split that into two 3/4" lines, one to each side sac.

The same could be done with the 2000gph pump. A 3/4" fitting would flow that much.