Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ACME 1235 vs. 537

shade

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 8:49 AM, Nitrousbird said:

I PROMISE that is not the best prop for your hull...not even close.  13.5" props slip way too much on a bigger hull...or even a smaller 21' hull.  

I'm getting about 11% slip with this prop (31mph @ 3500rpm), how much less slip do you get with a larger prop?

On 8/5/2016 at 10:34 AM, minnmarker said:

If a 12 pitch prop can give me the same rpms at any speed as a 14 pitch prop then I'm interested.  Doubtful, but open to being convinced by actual data.

If dia and cup are the same, you cant have the same RPM. The 12 pitch will result in higher RPM. However, if the 14 pitch is a larger dia then the 12 pitch, then you can get the performance benefits of the 12 pitch without the higher RPM and loss of top speed out of the larger dia prop, even though its pitch is less aggressive. In the case o fsay the 537, I have found that for surfing, especially listed, going down in pitch isnt enough. Going up in dia and down a little in pitch is a much better direction. 

Also, when going from a 14" or 14.5" dia ro a 15, I think you need to start taking the engine into account. Its take more motor to spin that larger wheel. So in some case, a 15" may be a better prop based on the numbers, but not for the given boat's engine. The 1235 might be best. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, MadMan said:

I'm getting about 11% slip with this prop (31mph @ 3500rpm), how much less slip do you get with a larger prop?

I guarantee yours slips like crazy with any amount of ballast.  You will have less slip unloaded. Even so, you will do better with a larger diameter. 13.5" props are a thing of the past. 14" is getting there too. 

3 hours ago, MLA said:

If dia and cup are the same, you cant have the same RPM. The 12 pitch will result in higher RPM. However, if the 14 pitch is a larger dia then the 12 pitch, then you can get the performance benefits of the 12 pitch without the higher RPM and loss of top speed out of the larger dia prop, even though its pitch is less aggressive. In the case o fsay the 537, I have found that for surfing, especially listed, going down in pitch isnt enough. Going up in dia and down a little in pitch is a much better direction. 

Also, when going from a 14" or 14.5" dia ro a 15, I think you need to start taking the engine into account. Its take more motor to spin that larger wheel. So in some case, a 15" may be a better prop based on the numbers, but not for the given boat's engine. The 1235 might be best. 

Agree on all points. It would be nice to see the data. I'm sure ACME and/or Malibu has a bunch of it.

We just came off lake after 4 hours of surfing ??.  Ah, summer.

1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

I guarantee yours slips like crazy with any amount of ballast.  

Yes, this is the goal.  It allows the engine so spool up to around 2800-3200 rpm where it is make enough horsepower to push the ballasted boat.

I noticed that you are running a 13" pitch prop, I'll bet that puts the 31mph cruise rpm north of 4k (mines 3500 ).  That would be much worse for my application.

On August 5, 2016 at 8:30 PM, teamerickson said:

I'm guessing listed? Probably the 2315. Possibly the 1615. 

I'm running even ballast with the mission delta. Is there a prop better for holding speed and holes hot with more weight than stock but can also cruise around 30 mph without the Rpms being to high? 

What new prop would be a better option than the 1235 for me? 

1 hour ago, Cayute said:

I'm running even ballast with the mission delta. Is there a prop better for holding speed and holes hot with more weight than stock but can also cruise around 30 mph without the Rpms being to high? 

What new prop would be a better option than the 1235 for me? 

Are you currently running the 1235? need to know what you have in order to make a rec thats better than what you have. 

On 8/5/2016 at 9:49 AM, Nitrousbird said:

It is nothing like picking a differential.  Props have cavitation and slip, something a car doesn't deal with.  How can you determine if one prop is better for the same boat?  It's actually pretty easy.  You determine what your needs are first.  Let's say the 1235 meets all of your needs.  Now you grab a 15" prop...2313 for instance.  If it maintains the same top speed, cruises at the same RPM but pulls out of the hole better, would you not say that is a better prop?

I PROMISE that is not the best prop for your hull...not even close.  13.5" props slip way too much on a bigger hull...or even a smaller 21' hull.  

Might not be the best prop for his hull doing what you do, but he said its a do everything boat, in which case, a smaller diameter has advantages.  Point being, just because the advent of 15" props that dig deeper and keep RPMs equivalent when ballasted, does not mean everyone should change to them.  

6 hours ago, MLA said:

Are you currently running the 1235? need to know what you have in order to make a rec thats better than what you have. 

Sorry running the stock 537. Starting to find with my surf weight and boat load of people it's having a hard time at surf speed. To many people in boat also really hurts the plane time when wake boarding (stock 4 Mls full and wedge down )

9 hours ago, Cayute said:

Sorry running the stock 537. Starting to find with my surf weight and boat load of people it's having a hard time at surf speed. To many people in boat also really hurts the plane time when wake boarding (stock 4 Mls full and wedge down )

We have found that the 537 reaches its limits at about the 1K listed ballast mark. A prop like the 1433 would be a mild upgrade to the 537 and the 1235 would be more aggressive. Now, one thing I dont know is, what the hull clearance is like on your hull. So one would want to measure or confirm, that a 14.5" or larger dia prop would fit without being too close to the hull causing burn. There could be other good prop options, those are just two that come to mind as being a good choice to upgrade the 537. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 7:51 PM, 85 Barefoot said:

Might not be the best prop for his hull doing what you do, but he said its a do everything boat, in which case, a smaller diameter has advantages.  Point being, just because the advent of 15" props that dig deeper and keep RPMs equivalent when ballasted, does not mean everyone should change to them.  

I get where there are circumstances where a 15" is not the best choice, but when is a 13.5" prop the best choice?  My backup prop, a 1939, is the 14" equivalent of a 537 and is superior in every way.

8 hours ago, RyanatJongbloed said:

MLA,  How close is too close for a 15 inch prop??  I have a 2006 24/7 and still using the 537 and looking to upgrade.

15" fits perfectly on a 247.  With a rig that big, there is no good reason to NOT run a 15" prop.  2315 is a good setup for that boat (whether you have the Hammerhead or Big Block). 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, RyanatJongbloed said:

MLA,  How close is too close for a 15 inch prop??  I have a 2006 24/7 and still using the 537 and looking to upgrade.

.5" is getting close. Less than that and prop burn on the gel coat is very possible. 

1 hour ago, MLA said:

.5" is getting close. Less than that and prop burn on the gel coat is very possible. 

That's fine and dandy...is there a Malibu made this century that will get a 15" prop less than 3/4" from the hull?  I haven't heard of one.  I have almost an inch on mine.

16 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

That's fine and dandy...is there a Malibu made this century that will get a 15" prop less than 3/4" from the hull?  I haven't heard of one.  I have almost an inch on mine.

I think you've misread my post? Where did state a 15" prop wont fit? Where did state what the clearance of a 15" prop would be? What i did however, was provide a guideline. Much more efficient for the boat owner to measure prop clearance to determine what fits their boats, rather than me going around climbing under everyone's boats to find how what doesn't fit each hull. You know, that teach a man to fish thing. 

Edited by MLA
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, bamaboy said:

@ibelonginprison just upgraded to this prop.  I'm sure he would be happy to give you a review if isn't too busy stealing ice cream cones from small children.  

Close. The 2773

15x13

06 wakesetter w/ 340 monsoon. 500' above sealevel.

Went from a 537 to this prop. Lost about a mph across the board except top end remained the same. Surfs better, wakeboards better, drives better. It was like a whole new boat when I did that. 

Surfing I do full MLS, 750 port rear, 750 port floor, 1k bow, no wedge. Don't remember the rpms but it handled it. 

I've also wakeboarded with it at that weight, but it takes 22-23mph to clean up and it takes a good minute to get there. Wake is massive though, ha. 

56 minutes ago, ibelonginprison said:

Surfing I do full MLS, 750 port rear, 750 port floor, 1k bow, no wedge. Don't remember the rpms but it handled it. 

I've also wakeboarded with it at that weight, but it takes 22-23mph to clean up and it takes a good minute to get there. Wake is massive though, ha. 

That must be one massive wakeboard wake on the port side.  

• Like 2

I just upgraded from a 537 to a 1235. I have an 07 VTX. 

All I can say is Wow!  Love the hole shot acceleration. Loaded and unloaded. 

I had 1000# in each rear corner.  500# MLS center tank. And 300# in the bow. I was about to get up to plane and 25mph to get to a different part of the lake. 

I was still able to get up and cruise at 40mph at 5000rpm(empty).  My normal cruising speed is 35mph at 4500 rpm. 

This is prop works great for us smaller boats

Edited by Clutch-n-Throttle
  • 7 years later...

Looking at upgrading the prop on my 2008 vRide.  I upgraded the rear ballast with the wakemakers tank buster 890# bags (vs rock 200 pounders) in both rear lockers along with a 500# main tank.  Acme website recommends upgrading from the 537 to the ACME 1615™ 14.50" x 13.75" Wake/Ski 4-Blade Propeller.  Does anyone have any experience with this prop or different recommendations?  Thanks!

On 10/10/2023 at 10:35 PM, Hitmoguls said:

Looking at upgrading the prop on my 2008 vRide.  I upgraded the rear ballast with the wakemakers tank buster 890# bags (vs rock 200 pounders) in both rear lockers along with a 500# main tank.  Acme website recommends upgrading from the 537 to the ACME 1615™ 14.50" x 13.75" Wake/Ski 4-Blade Propeller.  Does anyone have any experience with this prop or different recommendations?  Thanks!

1235 but still has speed versus weight limits (but great for light crews), 2315 has less limits , 2419 is no linits for crew and ballast, i would start with a 1235 if light crew , great cruising and better top end economy torque prop (lousy fuel economy for heavy wakeboarding), 2315 much better fuel heavy wakeboarding but less economical cruising 

10 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

1235 but still has speed versus weight limits (but great for light crews), 2315 has less limits , 2419 is no linits for crew and ballast, i would start with a 1235 if light crew , great cruising and better top end economy torque prop (lousy fuel economy for heavy wakeboarding), 2315 much better fuel heavy wakeboarding but less economical cruising 

I have a 2315 and 2419 and don't notice a difference between the two. 
I use one of the 15x12 if we are doing any surfing and a 381for when we are just cruising. 
I'd get a 15x12 (2315 or 2419) and keep the 537 or get a 381 for cruising. 
I have a 02 vlx which is the same hull.