Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ACME 1235 vs. 537

shade

Hey guys, I hear great things about the 1235 and I'm ready to buy when the GB comes into effect. I keep hearing that I'll get better fuel economy pullin' weight w/ the 1235. Is it really that noticeable? It seems hard for me to believe that fuel consumption will improve that much by changing from the 537 to the 1235.

My boat did better going from 537 to OJ475 and then again from 475 to OJ468. I know with full ballast my boat holds speed better and is MUCH quicker to plane.

My boat did better going from 537 to OJ475 and then again from 475 to OJ468. I know with full ballast my boat holds speed better and is MUCH quicker to plane.

When you use your boat for surfing, wakeboarding with extra ballast and have the stock prop on it will make your eng work harder but by changing over to the 475 or 468 prop, you are putting less of a load on the eng and not making the eng work so hard witch in turn saves gas. Now if you a person that just likes to run the boat around the lake at WOT then I would not change props. Try to keep the boat under 3300RPM's.

• 7 years later...

Got the 1235 and I'm so happy with it. Increase the wot one mile per hour while the hole shot is amazing. I can fill 1600 lbs in the back with the wedge and full boat and still get on plain. Measured by gps 

• Like 2

I just pulled my 537 and replaced it with a 1615.  14.5x13.75 .105cup.  I haven't surfed with it yet, but it pulls much harder than stock.  it felt like it had better hole shot with the ll four tanks full than the 537 with the boat empty.  Not sure on top end yet, probably lost a few mph.  I was up around 44 before, now around 41 I think.

It the stock ballast full at 21 to skate the rims were down a bit with the 1615 so fuel consumption should be a bit better.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to surf next weekend.

Edited by stags79

Like the others have said, go with the 1235 ASAP. I'm running it on my 2008 LSV and it's a noticeable improvement on the hole shot, without any significant top end loss. We primarily surf and it pushes an extra 3K just fine.

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 11:53 PM, 04vlxmalibu said:

Got the 1235 and I'm so happy with it. Increase the wot one mile per hour while the hole shot is amazing. I can fill 1600 lbs in the back with the wedge and full boat and still get on plain. Measured by gps 

Why did you drudge up a 7.5 year old thread about this?  1235 is pretty played out at this point - there have been a lot of advancements in props since 2009. 

I just upgraded to the 1235 in my 09 VLX. I like the performance under load, but don't like how much top end speed we lost. At 4400 rpm we can only manage 30-32 mph. Is their a better (more advanced) prop out there that can do it all? 

I just did exactly the same. The 1235 is much better for surfing. With the 537 we were at 3300 rpm loaded up at 10.7 mph.  With the 1235 we're at 2900 rpm and the motor sounds happier.  Just replaced the 750 bags with 1100 bags and the 1235 still moves the boat to 11+ mph.  Not sure how much water we get in them but it's more than 750. Here's the rest of the story:

RPM at each speed unloaded with wedge stowed up.

MPH 537 1235

20 2500 2700

25 2900 3100

30 3350 3650

35 3900 4300

Max speed at 5350 rpm for 537 was 44, for 1235 was 42. Only lost 2 mph.

Edited by minnmarker
On 7/20/2016 at 5:05 AM, Nitrousbird said:

Why did you drudge up a 7.5 year old thread about this?  1235 is pretty played out at this point - there have been a lot of advancements in props since 2009. 

Hey Nitrous, not trying to be a jerk so I hope I don't come off that way, a genuine question, for that age group of boats, what prop is better?  I'm still running stock, but would like a better holeshot.  I always thought the 1235 was the standard.

BTW..this forum seems to be the worst one I have ever been on for bringing threads back from the dead... :)

5 hours ago, SoDakSooner said:

Hey Nitrous, not trying to be a jerk so I hope I don't come off that way, a genuine question, for that age group of boats, what prop is better?  I'm still running stock, but would like a better holeshot.  I always thought the 1235 was the standard.

BTW..this forum seems to be the worst one I have ever been on for bringing threads back from the dead... :)

1235 was the standard years ago.  It was the go-to but is played out.  15" props are the go-to props now.

I have the same SV23 hull.  I run a 2773 on mine now; 15x13, .105.  It seems to be a great combo for my setup (very heavy weight for this hull + higher rev range than most + FAE killing some power).  

SoDakSooner, 04vlxmalibu

Guys dont sweat it, atleast bringing up an old thread shows you used the search function. If you had just started a new thread someone would have blasted you for not searching!!

I have the same hull with the Monsoon 350 and went from the 537 to the OJ Fusion, it was a great upgrade for us, surfs better, kneeboards better, (lower RPM, more pull) and still does 45-46MPH without hitting the revlimiter. I live where the air is very good and the 537 seemed to be over powered with our boat, it would cavitate some and hit rev limiter at WOT, the Fusion helped with take off, holding speed at kneeboard speeds and took us off the revlimiter. We run a good amount of weight for this hull and haven't had an issue getting out of the hole, we are not as heavy as some and in better air then most, just for info.  

• Like 2

Bringing up old threads is not a problem. Lots of good info back through the years.  If it was a problem they would be locked. You have to remember though that a lot of the info here is an opinion. There are good ones and bad ones.

I don't have a bunch of space under the boat.  Seems like the prop guard on my boatmate is pretty close.  Always worried I couldn't squeeze a 15" prop under there.  I guess it fits the hull if you are running it Nitrous. Nobody sees any cavitation marks from the bigger props? 

I don't run a ton of weight(well actually in a literal sense I do, but will have upwards of 2600 lbs in the boat(surfing only) and passengers.  It is such a dog with a even a boat full of people and no ballast.  With a small crew and just wakeboarding it is ok.

Thanks for the advice guys.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 4:47 PM, SoDakSooner said:

I don't have a bunch of space under the boat.  Seems like the prop guard on my boatmate is pretty close.  Always worried I couldn't squeeze a 15" prop under there.  I guess it fits the hull if you are running it Nitrous. Nobody sees any cavitation marks from the bigger props? 

I don't run a ton of weight(well actually in a literal sense I do, but will have upwards of 2600 lbs in the boat(surfing only) and passengers.  It is such a dog with a even a boat full of people and no ballast.  With a small crew and just wakeboarding it is ok.

You have plenty of hull clearance.  I have over the 3/4" minimum hull clearance, so that's a non-issue.  Remember, going from a 13.5" prop to a 15" prop will put the prop 3/4" closer to the hull and 3/4" closer to the prop guard.  Also, the prop will be closest to the guard when the boat is fully sitting on the trailer.  Take a take measure and start measuring before assuming you won't clear.

My other prop is a 1939, which is basically the 14" version of the 537 and performs a little better than the 537 across the board.  I run about 800lbs more and mine isn't a dog with the 1939, but I'm guessing you are running a Monsoon so you are down on power quite a bit compared to mine, so it's not an even comparison.  I run at 900'.

If you are feeling the boat is dog-like, a 2313 would get the job done.  Expect to run much higher RPM's and lose top speed but it is all a give/take.  2773 would also be a lot better than your 537...as would a number of other props.  13.5" prop on a heavily weighted boat isn't a good combo.

• Like 1

I currently had to install a friends 537 prop last trip, because my other spare 1235 had not been picked up yet from being refinished. I can tell you with confidence, the 537 is just much more peppy on the throttle and gets the boat going faster when already out of the hole. The 537 has a nice top speed of about 41-42 mph on my 22vlx. The 1235 is much smoother pulling people out of the water when wakesufing  or wakeboarding. But overall even if you are a skier the 1235 does the job much better. It is a bit more rounded in all area. 1. Pulling people out of the hole. 2. Great for the extra weight or loaded boat. Even if you are a skier the 1235 does pull you out of the water faster which is always a plus. I would say top speed on the 1235 is about 39-40mph, so only about -2mph when using the 1235.

• Like 1

@SoDakSooner Just go with the 1235, I can attest as many others have here that it is well worth it.  It is a tried and true upgrade as far as the prop goes.  I still slalom ski some and most of my buddies with inboards still have to hammer down to get me out of the hole.  After I upgraded to the 1235, the hole shot increased so much that I had a difficult time getting up on my ski.  Finally I asked my driver to try just going 1/3 - 1/2 throttle coming up, and I popped right out of the water.   Not to mention, like I added on the other thread, my Vride has no issue getting 2500lbs of ballast weight and the wedge down going when we surf.  I've even had 6-8 adults on the boat plus the ballast and wedge and have no issues.  It's money well spent as far as an upgrade.   If I recall, in some past topics, some have said it will even help your goofy side surf wake.  Which I did notice to be true back when listing the boat to surf was the norm.

6 minutes ago, NCVride said:

@SoDakSooner Just go with the 1235, I can attest as many others have here that it is well worth it.

I just went to the 1235 this summer (from the 537).  The 1235 is much better for surfing and boarding with better accelleration and ability to handle more weight.  I'm also running lower rpm at surf speed and burning less gas.  All that and only lost 2 mph top speed down to 42 mph - which is plenty fast for anything we do.

14 minutes ago, NCVride said:

@SoDakSooner Just go with the 1235, I can attest as many others have here that it is well worth it.  It is a tried and true upgrade as far as the prop goes.  I still slalom ski some and most of my buddies with inboards still have to hammer down to get me out of the hole.  After I upgraded to the 1235, the hole shot increased so much that I had a difficult time getting up on my ski.  Finally I asked my driver to try just going 1/3 - 1/2 throttle coming up, and I popped right out of the water.   Not to mention, like I added on the other thread, my Vride has no issue getting 2500lbs of ballast weight and the wedge down going when we surf.  I've even had 6-8 adults on the boat plus the ballast and wedge and have no issues.  It's money well spent as far as an upgrade.   If I recall, in some past topics, some have said it will even help your goofy side surf wake.  Which I did notice to be true back when listing the boat to surf was the norm.

2 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

I just went to the 1235 this summer (from the 537).  The 1235 is much better for surfing and boarding with better accelleration and ability to handle more weight.  I'm also running lower rpm at surf speed and burning less gas.  All that and only lost 2 mph top speed down to 42 mph - which is plenty fast for anything we do.

Again, there is nothing wrong with the 1235. There are simply BETTER props out there now.  1235 should only be bought cheap/used because it is so common.

• Like 1

which acme props would be considered better now then the 1235. I have an 06 vlx with 340 monsoon. 60/ 40 surfing to wakeboarding

surfing weight is about 1800lbs +  plus 4 stock Mls tanks on average. Wakeboarding just 4 Mls tanks filled wedge fully down for now.

usually about 1200'  above sea level

Edited by Cayute
12 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Again, there is nothing wrong with the 1235. There are simply BETTER props out there now.  1235 should only be bought cheap/used because it is so common.

What makes them better? Choosing a prop is like choosing a differential ratio in a car. There is no best overall, just best for a particular engine, boat, and  use. Best surf prop is not the best all around prop which is not the best ski prop.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, minnmarker said:

What makes them better? Choosing a prop is like choosing a differential ratio in a car. There is no best overall, just best for a particular engine, boat, and  use. Best surf prop is not the best all around prop which is not the best ski prop.

I agree, on our boar, which is basically a do everything boat, the best prop is an 1161 (537 with a bit more cup).

Also, if you're worried about hull clearance, I've noticed the older non-CNCed props our not the actual diameter stated.  An true 13.5" will be rounded up to 14".

9 hours ago, minnmarker said:

It is nothing like picking a differential.  Props have cavitation and slip, something a car doesn't deal with.  How can you determine if one prop is better for the same boat?  It's actually pretty easy.  You determine what your needs are first.  Let's say the 1235 meets all of your needs.  Now you grab a 15" prop...2313 for instance.  If it maintains the same top speed, cruises at the same RPM but pulls out of the hole better, would you not say that is a better prop?

1 hour ago, MadMan said:

I agree, on our boar, which is basically a do everything boat, the best prop is an 1161 (537 with a bit more cup).

Also, if you're worried about hull clearance, I've noticed the older non-CNCed props our not the actual diameter stated.  An true 13.5" will be rounded up to 14".

I PROMISE that is not the best prop for your hull...not even close.  13.5" props slip way too much on a bigger hull...or even a smaller 21' hull.