Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thinking about a VRide

Ladythump

Welcome to the site. The VRide is a great boat, basically the same as an '04 VLX. We just went through this & originally thought that we would end up with the VRide, but in the end by the time you load it up (depending on how much of the bling of the VLX that you want), there's about a $3500-5000 difference in price between the 2. So we ended up ordering a VLX. To each his (or her) own on this point. You won't have a hard time selling any vdrive boat that Malibu makes.

You are actually better off to purchase either a new vlx or purchase an 03 to 04 VLX to get all the bling and options. I have ordered three Wakesetter VLX's and they all sold themselfs, but my current boat I seem to be having a hard time selling probaly due to all the options and only have 50 hours on it. You cannot go wrong with Malibu

Can't really comment on how hard it would be to sell. I have heard several times that people have chosen the vRide over the 2005 vlx just to get the 2004 hull. That is not the reason I bought mine though. My reasons were related to dollars and cents. The 5" in beam is noticeable in the interior and more room is always a benefit. Additionally, the vlx has it's rear ballast tanks under the floor giving you a bunch more storage in the rear lockers.

That being said, I absolutely love my vRide. It has performed flawlessly for each of the 44 hours I have put on it. The stock wake is big enough for just about anybody to surf ropeless and is world class for wakeboarding.

You will not be wrong, no matter which way you go. Hope this helps a little bit.

I have had the pleasure to surf and board and drive srud's VRide, it is a fantastic boat and I would recommend it to anyway looking for a 'bu.

The only thing I would note is I agree with Tracie as you load them up the become a VLX minus the interior creature comforts and little things, but the price gets up there.

Yeah, even without the bling factor, when you start adding everything on the price on the VRide really climbs & when you do add the bling it gets really close. Within $3500 of a VLX. For that, I think the VLX is the better choice, but that's JMO.

What kind of things would you be adding to it?

Hmm. Let's see....

Wedge foil

Heater

Shower

Issota Steering Wheel and Throttle knob

Perfect pass

Pull up cleats

Fiberglass swim platform (teak is standard)

Bimini

Wakeboard racks

Stereo

Monsoon Engine or Hammerhead

It all adds up, in a hurry I might add.

You are actually better off to purchase either a new vlx or purchase an 03 to 04 VLX to get all the bling and options.  I have ordered three Wakesetter VLX's and they all sold themselfs, but my current boat I seem to be having a hard time selling probaly due to all the options and only have 50 hours on it.  You cannot go wrong with Malibu

Have to agree look for a used VLX

Your 03 only has 50hrs Cry.gifShocking.gif

What kind of things would you be adding to it?

Hmm. Let's see....

Wedge foil

Heater

Shower

Issota Steering Wheel and Throttle knob

Perfect pass

Pull up cleats

Fiberglass swim platform (teak is standard)

Bimini

Wakeboard racks

Stereo

Monsoon Engine or Hammerhead

It all adds up, in a hurry I might add.

Add the rear ballast for the VRide, it's not standard equipment. No need for Perfect Pass with the new speed control being standard on all models. We went with the Hammerhead after driving a Monsoon.

Tracie wouldn't it be cheeper to just add fat sacs in the rear and plum it in your self? Yes the upgraded motor is a must in my book. I don't think the V ride come's with the monsoon 335. I want to say its the 315 any ways it's like a $550 upgrade.

Tracie wouldn't it be cheeper to just add fat sacs in the rear and plum it in your self?  Yes the upgraded motor is a must in my book. I don't think the V ride come's with the monsoon 335. I want to say its the 315 any ways it's like a $550 upgrade.

The LCR 320hp is the standard engine now on both the VRide & VLX, I'm not sure what the upcharge for the Monsoon is (it was about $600 last year, but everything went up this year so I'm not sure now), but the HH is something in the neighborhood of $4800. As for the rear ballast, I would do what you're suggesting but a lot of people don't want to deal with it - it is a lot of work to drill all of the thru-hulls for the pumps, for the empty lines, running all of the hose & wire, getting the right pumps & setting it all up correctly, wiring the switches, etc etc. It's no small task for sure. For the money & ease of set up, I'd go ahead & order it all done, pull the tanks to sell them & replace them with bags. It's possibly a little more expensive to go that route, but you've got to figure what your time is worth.

The other thing is that you cannot get the bow ballast in the VRide, it's not even an option.

Actually with those options it's over 50k, add the HH & it's in the mid 50's.  I just priced all of this out & was shocked at what a VRide would cost.

Did you price that out on the Malibu website? cause when I go to build a boat, it doesn't give me prices..... Mad.gif

Exactly what we asked ourselves. I don't honestly think that you can go wrong either way - Malibu v-drives have a certain demand (you won't be stuck with a white elephant, that is as long as your colors aren't way out there). With that said, the VRide may over time take on the image of an entry level boat (if you can call a $50k boat entry level) & while its sellability should be fine, its value in proportion to its original price may not hold as strongly as the VLX. For the price difference, we went with the VLX.

One thing that you may find interesting - my husband called the factory in Merced because he had a few questions. One thing that came up was the issue of resale value & Malibu specifically. Apparently on a national level it takes about 7-8 years, & then a person can figure that their boat is worth what they paid for it new (maybe not when you figure inflation, but in hard dollars it's true). Now where I live, it's probably closer to 5 years. Amazing.

Did you price that out on the Malibu website? cause when I go to build a boat, it doesn't give me prices.....

We recently went through the process. I'll try to dig out my paperwork with all of the costs on the different options.

Resale will be better on the VLX vs. a loaded vRide. If you get a fairly basic vRide, its a great deal. If you're going to get it loaded, get the VLX.

I was thinking something like this:

adding the Monsoon, and midship ballast. the wedge. and perfect pass

What is the difference between the wedge and the wedge foil?

What else would the boat need?

There's the wedge mounting plate (that I believe is standard on both the Vride & VLX) & the foil itself, which is an option on both boats this year. Both boats come with the mid-ship ballast standard - the VRide has the option for the rear ballast which is standard on the VLX, & the bow ballast is an option on the VLX (not available on the VRide at all). You don't need Perfect Pass (unless you really want to pay for it) since all Malibu models this year get speed control standard. You'll need cleats to tie fenders off to, especially with the Illusion. If you live in the northern part of the country, definitely consider the heating options - heater, heated driver's seat & shower. Depth finder, is water depth an issue where you go boating? On the trailer, pivot hitch & undercarriage spare mount are good ones to go with.

Okay I just spec'd it out online. Would this be a good boat to buy used?

05 VRide

basic stereo

teak platform

illusion X tower

midship ballast

wedge plate and foil (what is the difference?)

flip up bolster

rear ballast

two pair pull up cleats

depth finder

Monsoon

Perfect pass

No idea on the price brand new cause the stupid Malibu website doesn't quote the prices ... stupid!