Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1992 Euro Sport F3 Sunsetter Hull Blisters

Well this is my first Malibu and I got a really sweet deal. I probably got the deal because of the blistering on the hull.

Questions: I know there is a problem with the fiberglass being exposed in the water but my usage in the summer is a couple of hours per week and then the boat gets trailered back home.

Could I get a few years of pleasure out of the boat before I have the hull fixed??

Thanks for the responses.....

Randy

E-mail me if you want to see a pretty good pic of the blistering. Acutally if is pretty impressive from what I have been told.

[email protected]

Edited by rcmkbc

As long as the blisters aren't "popping", exposing the fiberglass underneath, then you should be OK. A buddy of mine with a Tige has ridiculous blistering all over the lower portion of his hull and hasn't had a problem using it. It's been like that for years. If they start to pop you should patch them as best you can with a gelcoat repair kit until you can afford to have it fixed professionally.

As long as the blisters aren't "popping", exposing the fiberglass underneath, then you should be OK. A buddy of mine with a Tige has ridiculous blistering all over the lower portion of his hull and hasn't had a problem using it. It's been like that for years. If they start to pop you should patch them as best you can with a gelcoat repair kit until you can afford to have it fixed professionally.

Yea that is the problem is that the blisters are popping. Probably 20 that are about 1/8 inch in size and a two large lines that are about 1/4 inch wide by 6 yo 8 inches long. Could I patch them and continue as a happy boater??

Yea that is the problem is that the blisters are popping. Probably 20 that are about 1/8 inch in size and a two large lines that are about 1/4 inch wide by 6 yo 8 inches long. Could I patch them and continue as a happy boater??

Absolutely. They're underwater so no one will see the patch job. Biggrin.gif You just need to keep the fiberglass from soaking up a bunch of water. Just get yourself a gelcoat repair kit and follow the instructions, it's pretty easy.

I email'ed you for a picture. I'll post it up here when I get it. Im interested in seeing what they look like.

- Chad

Once you repair the blisters you will need to also apply some gel coat to keep the repair from wicking water, any exposed glass will wick and continue the blistering.

Sorry, I missed the gelcoat repair kit in the post above, most people think a glass repair kit is the fix!

Edited by Boat Rocks

Heck in this economy and in the winter, I'll bet you could get a screaming deal to have that fixed if you don't want to do it yourself. Look up one of the local glass shops or independant guys on craigslist and pay em cash. Gel coat isn't rocket science and sounds like if it's on the bottom color matching won't be an issue. If you wait until spring, the prices go up significantly. Either way, I'd fix it right and keep your bu nice.

I email'ed you for a picture. I'll post it up here when I get it. Im interested in seeing what they look like.

- Chad

Did you get the pic's that I sent??

Randy

Sure did! Thanks for knocking the size down too!

I find it interesting that they are so condensed into an area. I have seen them typically at the water line like yours are, but usually they are scattered throughout the entire water line, not just a short area like that.

post-1978-1234219986_thumb.jpg

post-1978-1234219995_thumb.jpg

post-1978-1234220053_thumb.jpg

Sure did! Thanks for knocking the size down too!

I find it interesting that they are so condensed into an area. I have seen them typically at the water line like yours are, but usually they are scattered throughout the entire water line, not just a short area like that.

Yea I know. That seem to be the problem with identify the problem. I have had sever shops want to charge a bunch of cash to fix the issue. In a couple of years I could easily afford to have the entire hull reworked but I will just probably patch the areas and go about my business.

The fiberglass is not soft and the boat had not seen the water in several years from what I was told.

Do you have to have special privileges to post pictures??

Thanks,

randy

Do you have to have special privileges to post pictures??

In order to post pic's directly to your post requires that you be a supporter of the site (see the "support us" button above). :)

Edited by NorCaliBu